Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of good info here. I'd like some opinions on my plans.

I have a white model 3 which is almost new. I've examined the finish closely with an LED light and I don't see any scratches or swirls at all. Guess I won the paint lottery. But I plan to ceramic coat and don't want to skimp on polishing as the pics in this thread are amazing.

So I'm thinking that I would use Meguiar's M82 which as I understand it, is one step lighter than M205. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQYG4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I was considering doing it by hand given the decent shape of the paint but after reading here I may get a DA polisher to do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
It may be worth while to still clay the car first too.

Great video. You made me spend money!

I bought:
Griot's Garage Random Orbital Kit, 6' from Pep Boys - $128 + tax
Gyeon Q2 Pure Ceramic 50ml from eBay - $115
Meguire's M205 Polish ($25) and Griot's Orange Pad ($12) from Advanced Auto Parts
Mothers Clay Bar System from Amazon - $15

My car better be as shiny as yours!

Thanks for the heads up on the Griot's deal at Pep Boys...it's 20% off. Is one pad enough to do the whole car? Do you need to stop and clean it a few times? Or use multiple pads?

Also, does the Griot's machine come with a pad?

Thanks for the heads up on the Griot's deal at Pep Boys...it's 20% off. Is one pad enough to do the whole car? Do you need to stop and clean it a few times? Or use multiple pads?

I bought the same kit. One pad is enough and yes it comes as a kit with pads. At least mine did. The price online is good but in-store is not the same price. Just my experience and they would not match the price. I purchased online then did a pick up at the store.

From what I read, if going with just 1 pad, you'll want to either clean it (with dedicated cleaner and brush) or blow it with compressed air throughout polishing. Perhaps after 2 to 3 panels.

Reactions: Magnets!
Thanks for this thread, it was very helpful.

My SR+ arrived with no swirl marks, only 2 small scratches in the clearcoat that I could only see when using a bright LED light. I used some Meguiars swirl remover I had from a previous detail and it took care of the issues.
I also found three small paint chips on the driver's door that they repaired before I took delivery. I noticed them because around each chip was a 1" area where the paint was dull. They had buffed where they touched it up and it was a matte finish. Using the Meguiars I was able to polish it back to a shine in a few minutes.

Gyeon Mohs was very easy to apply. Now that it is complete I want it to rain so I can see what the car looks like afterward.

Reactions: dfwatt
I was very hesitant to do go the DIY route on my ceramic coating, but ended up purchasing a complete Cquartz finest kit on Amazon, and it took me around a day and a half over the weekend to apply 4 coats. I coated the windshield, roof, wheels, etc. and I can say that it was 100% worth the time. Given that my car is black, I was very worried about long-term protection and swirl mitigation. 6 weeks later, and the car still looks brand new. Haven't needed to wash it yet, just a little wipe down with Griots spray detailer every couple of days.

• Informative
Reactions: Beaver and dfwatt
So I’m going to get my 3 day old msm 3s front half done in ppf, I have everything I need to wash, decon, clay, polish, and do a ceramic coat

Sticking to the CarPro family for all.

Plan is to
Snow foam (not really needed but it’s my usual first step)
2 bucket with chemical guys clean slate
Ironx
Clay mit
Polish with CarPro essence using a maxshine da polisher and CarPro gloss pad
Eraser
Cquartz uk 3.0 x2
CarPro gliss

My paint is REALLY good. Won the lotto there, besides a bunch of wax in some panel gaps from the Tesla “experts” and a slight scuff on the rear bumper clear coat

How much of this process should I do before bring the car to my ppf guy (signature detail in NJ). They do the wash, decon, and polish before hand but still wondering how much prep I should do to “help”

I wash planning on doing everything up to the ipa cleaning and then driving a short 10 miles to get the wrap. After getting it back clean the car again, ipa, coat the whole car.

Good plan ?

Would love to do this to my M3D but can't use my garage right now. Anyone know if its possible to do the whole process in the driveway? I am thinking no due to contamination from pollen, bird poop, etc...but wanted to see if anyone has done it outside.

Would love to do this to my M3D but can't use my garage right now. Anyone know if its possible to do the whole process in the driveway? I am thinking no due to contamination from pollen, bird poop, etc...but wanted to see if anyone has done it outside.

I've done the window glass outside. Obviously you can't have rain and it's probably good to have it not be raining pollen either but I don't think the ceramic bonds the pollen to the paint. It all seems to just rub off anything that isn't ceramic when you do the final buffing.

You would need to have a very overcast coolish day. Being free of stuff falling on the car would be ideal but a little pollen and what not would be wiped away

Side note. I did the above process I outlined. I was looking forward to the first rain storm. It was as if my car was in a rain repellant force field.

Today I gave the car it’s first maintenance wash. I have never had an easier time cleaning a car. To dry it I just flooded the car with water and all the was left was a few drops here and there which a microfiber took car off.

A1AD65D8-F91F-4FE8-899A-CC26B469E750.jpeg

I'm in the process buying everything I need for this, let me know what you all think, not completely sure if the order is correct though.

2 bucket wash
CarPro Iron X
CarPro Tar X
claybar with clay lube (Chemical guys)
CarPro Eraser
wash again? - to remove lube
Polish with CarPro essence
CQuartz UK 3.0
CarPro reload

Do I wash the car again after the Iron x and Tar X? What about after the claybar?

Thanks

I'm in the process buying everything I need for this, let me know what you all think, not completely sure if the order is correct though.

2 bucket wash
CarPro Iron X
CarPro Tar X
claybar with clay lube (Chemical guys)
CarPro Eraser
wash again? - to remove lube
Polish with CarPro essence
CQuartz UK 3.0
CarPro reload

Do I wash the car again after the Iron x and Tar X? What about after the claybar?

Thanks

2 bucket
iron x
rinse
tar x (may not be needed)
rinse
claybar
rinse
DRY 100%
polish
eraser
cquk