Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one you link to is compressed air powered while most of the ones used by detailers are electric powered. This one runs at 9,000RPM which is ok for sanding but I believe way too fast for polishing (you could easily burn the paint). Most of the electric ones are variable speed from around 2,500RPM to about 6,000 RPM. The electric ones have an electric motor which adds to the cost and some are battery powered which adds even more to the cost. Then there is the quality and longevity of a unit designed for heavy use versus occasional use.

The one you link to is compressed air powered while most of the ones used by detailers are electric powered. This one runs at 9,000RPM which is ok for sanding but I believe way too fast for polishing (you could easily burn the paint). Most of the electric ones are variable speed from around 2,500RPM to about 6,000 RPM. The electric ones have an electric motor which adds to the cost and some are battery powered which adds even more to the cost. Then there is the quality and longevity of a unit designed for heavy use versus occasional use.

Thanks for the info.. makes sense!

I've heard a lot of good things about Menzerna Super Finish Plus 3800, so I'm going to try that out as my M3 has very faint swirl marks on some places. I'm lucky whoever washed my car didn't leave much marks. I've got M205 also and I'm hoping I don't need to use it before the Menzerna 3800.

Menzerna makes great stuff.... I'm gonna have to dig out my stuff and report back.

Do you really need the polisher? Or can you do it by hand? Debating on whether to spend the $75 (current price on Amazon) or power through by hand.

You're not going to get the same results doing it by hand.

I takes 4-6 hours to polish using a polisher.. I don't even want to think about how long that would take by hand and you're going to be so sore after. Not worth the attempt IMO.

I just purchased the Gyeon Q2 Synchro Bundle which includes Geon Prep. There is a special for $169. But if you sign up for the mailing list, you get an additional 15% off. In addition, they also have a limited special that includes a can of BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax with any purchase over $100. My total cost was $144 which also included limited time offer of free shipping for anything over $50.

GYEON Car Care

Just thought I would add a bit more information on the Gyeon products below I found on youtube:

Gyeon Q2 One: Gyeon’s entry level coating, designed for the novice who has never used ceramic coatings. As easy to apply as a natural wax, and glossy like a glaze, durable and resistant as regular coatings. Fast-curing formula that’s incredibly easy to apply and remove. Durability is about 12 months.

Gyeon Q2 Pure: This is an updated and improved formula of Gyeon Q2 Prime. It gives you pure quartz protection. Thick, hard and extremely hydrophobic. Delivers a pure candy gloss. Simple, one layer application. It is designed for the advanced enthusiast who has experience with coatings. Layer Pure is possible, and can add to its longevity. Durability is estimated around 18 months.

Gyeon Q2 Syncro: The most advanced ceramic coating for enthusiasts. The sophisticated double-stage formula offers incredible slickness, repellency, hardness and significant durability. The base layer is the new MOHS coating which provides the thick, durable, protective layer of coating. Its multilayer application ends with Skin, an advanced silicone-based topcoat that provides exceptional gloss, slickness, and hydrophobicity. You must apply 2 or 3 layers of MOHS base coat, and one layer of Skin top-coat. Wait 1 hour in between MOHS layers, and after applying your last layer of MOHS, wait at least 4 hours before applying Skin. Durability is said to be upwards of 2 years.

I just purchased the Gyeon Q2 Synchro Bundle which includes Geon Prep. There is a special for $169. But if you sign up for the mailing list, you get an additional 15% off. In addition, they also have a limited special that includes a can of BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax with any purchase over $100. My total cost was $144 which also included limited time offer of free shipping for anything over $50.

GYEON Car Care

Just thought I would add a bit more information on the Gyeon products below I found on youtube:

Gyeon Q2 One: Gyeon’s entry level coating, designed for the novice who has never used ceramic coatings. As easy to apply as a natural wax, and glossy like a glaze, durable and resistant as regular coatings. Fast-curing formula that’s incredibly easy to apply and remove. Durability is about 12 months.

Gyeon Q2 Pure: This is an updated and improved formula of Gyeon Q2 Prime. It gives you pure quartz protection. Thick, hard and extremely hydrophobic. Delivers a pure candy gloss. Simple, one layer application. It is designed for the advanced enthusiast who has experience with coatings. Layer Pure is possible, and can add to its longevity. Durability is estimated around 18 months.

Gyeon Q2 Syncro: The most advanced ceramic coating for enthusiasts. The sophisticated double-stage formula offers incredible slickness, repellency, hardness and significant durability. The base layer is the new MOHS coating which provides the thick, durable, protective layer of coating. Its multilayer application ends with Skin, an advanced silicone-based topcoat that provides exceptional gloss, slickness, and hydrophobicity. You must apply 2 or 3 layers of MOHS base coat, and one layer of Skin top-coat. Wait 1 hour in between MOHS layers, and after applying your last layer of MOHS, wait at least 4 hours before applying Skin. Durability is said to be upwards of 2 years.

What's the difference between GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic Paint Coating vs. Gyeon Q2 Syncro???

I just finished coating my car this past weekend. Below are the steps and materials that I used. I got everything off Amazon. Basically, it'll cost you less than $200.00 and about 8 hours.

Steps and materials:

1. Hand wash (30 minutes)
-- car Wash (Mothers 05632 California Gold Car Wash - 32 oz.) 11.72
-- car wash mitts (Premium Car Wash Mitt - 2-Pack) 13.95
-- Towels (Zwipes Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (24-Pack)) 11.99

2. Use Claybar (1 hour)
-- ClayBar (Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System) 14.16

3. Polish Car (2-4 hours)
-- Polisher (Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish - 8 oz.) 12.16
-- Buffer (Goplus Random Orbital Sander Variable Speed Polisher Electrical Dual-Action Polisher Grinder Buffer (5 inch)) 62.99
-- Buffer pads (Chemical Guys BUFX_102_HEX5 Hex-Logic Medium-Heavy Cutting Pad, Orange (5.5 Inch)) 7.99
-- Use flashligh to check for swirls

4. Clean car/paint surface (30 minutes)
-- Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser 16 oz. 14.99

5. Apply Carpro CQuartz (2 hours)
-- Carpro CQuartz UK 30 with Reload (CarPro CQuartz UK 30 ml Kit w/ Reload Model: CP-10CQK30K Car/Vehicle Accessories/Parts) 59.98

6. Apply Carpro Reload (30 minutes)

Good luck!

Another question on this.. I picked up my M3 last week and inspected it closely. There are no swirls or scratches on the surface. I haven't washed it yet and it looks like it's in perfect condition. SO, would I be able to skip any of the above steps? I don't believe I need to polish it (step 3) since there are no swirls. Thanks in advance!

Another question on this.. I picked up my M3 last week and inspected it closely. There are no swirls or scratches on the surface. I haven't washed it yet and it looks like it's in perfect condition. SO, would I be able to skip any of the above steps? I don't believe I need to polish it (step 3) since there are no swirls. Thanks in advance!

You need to get it under a bright flashlight preferably LED and check for swirls or holograms. I'm very skeptical that it's "perfect" if indeed by some miracle there's none at all than you just need to wash well and prep before applying.

I understand the ease of care with the ceramic coating. But wonder how does ceramic look compared to a properly waxed car?

I think it looks better overall, when properly applied ceramic coating does not leave any residue and so it looks like a perfectly clean car.

The real fancy trick is when you go through a touchless car wash and come out looking like you just got a hand wash, it even gets off that grimy film that touchless usually can't.

Reactions: F_T_K and garrity
Good point I forgot to note that. I used a new microfiber for each panel when wiping off the ceramic coating, minimum would be to use 2-3 for the whole car. Gyeon does not get too tacky when removing so it's less important than with some other brands like CQuartz.

Getting a 36 pack of new microfibers from Costco or such is advisable for the project.

Thanks! One more question please: Did you applied the coating on the glass roof and windshield as well?