Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! One more question please: Did you applied the coating on the glass roof and windshield as well?

I had a little bit of coating left after the two coats which I'm going to apply to the wheels when I get a chance. I'm going to buy another smaller kit to do the windows and roof glass. I'll likely post an additional two videos with those processes.

Reactions: chojn1
I've seen videos of people sanding the professionally applied ceramic off after 5-7 years, before they apply a new coat.

Does the Gyeon Mohs require anything special before reapplying? How do you know when to reapply when you don't get the beading effect anymore?

Thanks for your help and your videos.

Gyeon Mohs is formulated for ease of install over life of install, It'll only last for 1 - 2 years and I don't expect there will be a need to "remove" it at that point because it'll already have worn off. Some of the more extreme coatings that last 5+ years need to be removed before reapplying and are more difficult to install. I think you'll continue to get the beading for many years as long as you keep applying Gyeon Cure or Skin top coats but the actual Mohs coating is likely gone at that point.

• Informative
Reactions: chojn1 and garrity
I deleted my previous comment. I watched a lot of Chemical Guy's videos and it was really helpful.

My only question (before I do this, this weekend), why are you using an orange pad? I was going to use a black pad. I thought black is the lightest. Wouldn't orange be too hard? I have TORQ Orbital polisher.

I deleted my previous comment. I watched a lot of Chemical Guy's videos and it was really helpful.

My only question (before I do this, this weekend), why are you using an orange pad? I was going to use a black pad. I thought black is the lightest. Wouldn't orange be too hard? I have TORQ Orbital polisher.

Unless you have perfect paint without any scratches or swirls, you probably end up using orange, or at least white instead.

I just finished coating my car this past weekend. Below are the steps and materials that I used. I got everything off Amazon. Basically, it'll cost you less than $200.00 and about 8 hours.

Steps and materials:

1. Hand wash (30 minutes)
-- car Wash (Mothers 05632 California Gold Car Wash - 32 oz.) 11.72
-- car wash mitts (Premium Car Wash Mitt - 2-Pack) 13.95
-- Towels (Zwipes Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (24-Pack)) 11.99

2. Use Claybar (1 hour)
-- ClayBar (Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System) 14.16

3. Polish Car (2-4 hours)
-- Polisher (Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish - 8 oz.) 12.16
-- Buffer (Goplus Random Orbital Sander Variable Speed Polisher Electrical Dual-Action Polisher Grinder Buffer (5 inch)) 62.99
-- Buffer pads (Chemical Guys BUFX_102_HEX5 Hex-Logic Medium-Heavy Cutting Pad, Orange (5.5 Inch)) 7.99
-- Use flashligh to check for swirls

4. Clean car/paint surface (30 minutes)
-- Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser 16 oz. 14.99

5. Apply Carpro CQuartz (2 hours)
-- Carpro CQuartz UK 30 with Reload (CarPro CQuartz UK 30 ml Kit w/ Reload Model: CP-10CQK30K Car/Vehicle Accessories/Parts) 59.98

6. Apply Carpro Reload (30 minutes)

Good luck!

Does anyone know if I can replace the Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser by using a mixture of rubbing alcohol 25% mixture to 75% water? I would think it's just a de-greaser agent to decontaminate the oil from polish wax.

Did you also apply cQuartz UK 30 on your windshield? I used rainX glass repellent before and hated it because it leave a oil films on your windshield.

Does anyone know if I can replace the Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser by using a mixture of rubbing alcohol 25% mixture to 75% water? I would think it's just a de-greaser agent to decontaminate the oil from polish wax.

Did you also apply cQuartz UK 30 on your windshield? I used rainX glass repellent before and hated it because it leave a oil films on your windshield.
Yes, you can mix it your own. In the video below, he mentioned it in Question #4.

Yes, you can mix it your own. In the video below, he mentioned it in Question #4.

Big Thanks r0xx0r

Isopropyl Alcohol comes in 50% or 70% alcohol strength.
Your video calls for 50/50 mixture. Some sites call for 25% (Isopropyl Alcohol) to 75%(water) mixture.
So go with 50/50 I suppose?

Can I ceramic coat windshield? I hate the oil slick affect on my glass using product like RainX. Will ceramic coating all my the windows has that oil slick affect? As you know we don't have windshield wipers in the back of the model 3. So I want water to shear off by coating the all my windows.

Big Thanks r0xx0r

Isopropyl Alcohol comes in 50% or 70% alcohol strength.
Your video calls for 50/50 mixture. Some sites call for 25% (Isopropyl Alcohol) to 75%(water) mixture.
So go with 50/50 I suppose?

Can I ceramic coat windshield? I hate the oil slick affect on my glass using product like RainX. Will ceramic coating all my the windows has that oil slick affect? As you know we don't have windshield wipers in the back of the model 3. So I want water to shear off by coating the all my windows.
25/75 can be used for multiple purposes such as ... wrapping clear bra. I think Pan suggested 50/50 for fast dry.

Yes you can apply ceramic coating to the windshield. But tbh, I think it is more expensive than the dedicated window coating product like gtechniq g1/g5. But if you have some remaning after coating your car, apply it to windshield wouldn’t be a problem.

I did on day 3, Feynlab.com has all you need to DIY, besides the nose irritated due to poor mask, very easy and straightforward. Cost me $250 shipping included and had some left over to re-apply in 3 years.
On their website says:
Self-life: Unopened – 1 year. Opened – Use within 7 days.

Why don't they sell the FEYNLAB®HEAL LITE to consumers :(

Okay, so one question I have for all the experts out there, I don't a polisher or any experience polishing. Is it ill-advised follow Kenriko's steps except skipping the polishing for a newly delivered car?

I fear the answer will be, "yes, don't skip it before coating" which is going to make me sad since I have no confidence that I can do a good polishing job on my first go around.

~Paik

I applied Gyeon Syncro to my car the day after I picked it up. I also had purchased "Griot's Garage 11296Z Starter Orbital Kit" in case I needed to do any polishing. This was the first time I've ever used a dual-action polisher or attempted anything more than waxing - I watched a few YouTube videos on doing both. I did end up using the polisher in a few places but I totally would have been fine just putting the Gyeon on without polishing.

I had purchased CarPro IronX in case there was any rail dust but after carefully inspecting the car it did not appear to need anything more than being washed and wiped down with Gyeon prep. I literally drove it straight home from my delivery center to my garage.

My only advice is to make sure you have plenty of lighting so you can see what you are doing.

Reactions: Paik4Life
This is painful decision. I heard that if anything were to happen to your car panel and needing touch up or re-paint. Sort of blending in the paint, you must let the body shop know that you have ceramic coating. If they try to paint and blend in the flow of coloring from panel to panels the paint won't stick. Hence the cost will be more because they need to strip the ceramic coat off on different panel to blend the paint flow.

This is painful decision. I heard that if anything were to happen to your car panel and needing touch up or re-paint. Sort of blending in the paint, you must let the body shop know that you have ceramic coating. If they try to paint and blend in the flow of coloring from panel to panels the paint won't stick. Hence the cost will be more because they need to strip the ceramic coat off on different panel to blend the paint flow.
In terms of body shop work, the level of effort to strip a ceramic coating from a panel is insignificant (compared to the other work they would be doing) - this isn't like clear coat, it is not that hard to remove

Reactions: Quickstart88