Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was the first one to repond to this thread and I don’t think I ever posted my pics lol. There are so many threads and I did post there but this thread is what inspired me to take the DIY approach.

Gyeon Mohs Syncro $179
Griot's Garage Random Orbital Kit, 6' from Pep Boys
Meguire's M205 Polish
Mothers Clay Bar System from Amazon
Gyeon Prep

I had PPF installed on the front portion of the car. I did not do a paint correction on the front portion due to the PPF. I did do a paint correction on the other portions of the car. This made the process super easy. The Syncro comes with a small bottle “skin” which does not come with the cheaper Gyeon Mohs kit. This makes the ceramic coating super slick.

Huge benefit is that washing the car is easy. Water just beads off. I thought the process as worth it.

View attachment 360841 View attachment 360842 View attachment 360843

I just completely failed.

Using Griots Garage Random Orbital and M205 Polish. I can't seem to remove all the micro scratches/swirls. I am not sure how long to keep it on for and finding it difficult to wipe off the polish to check the work done. At the same time worry about the clear coat.

How much time did you spend on each panel? Was it a simple wipe off? Were there any swirls or scratches when you finished each panel? I am expecting not to see any swirls but that is not the result I am getting.

Using Griots Garage Random Orbital and M205 Polish. I can't seem to remove all the micro scratches/swirls. I am not sure how long to keep it on for and finding it difficult to wipe off the polish to check the work done. At the same time worry about the clear coat.

How much time did you spend on each panel? Was it a simple wipe off? Were there any swirls or scratches when you finished each panel? I am expecting not to see any swirls but that is not the result I am getting.
Have a picture of your result? You might need to move up to a more abrasive polish or pad.

Anyone put cQuartz UK 3.0 over PPF?

First of all don’t expect a perfect show finish. My standard was that I saw some improvement. If you want pro results go to a pro. When I was done I was happy / satisfied with the results.

Start with a slow speed setting and then increase while applying pressure. Repeat.

I went over each panel about 4-5 times. I spent a good half hour per panel. I would say I applied moderate pressure while doing it. Make sure to apply some pressure. I definitely saw an improvement. I would say it was a stage 1 paint correction which is somewhat minimal. It was not “show ready” but good enough for me.

I was able to wipe away product but I had to apply pressure. Clean towels make it easier.

Work in small sections about 2x2. Don’t be in a hurry. I had my 80s music on in the background lol.

Microfiber towels I used were about a total of 10-12 maybe for all steps of paint correction / ceramic coating.

Good luck! Send pics when you are done.

Last edited:
First of all don’t expect a perfect show finish. My standard was that I saw some improvement. If you want pro results go to a pro. When I was done I was happy

Have a picture of your result? You might need to move up to a more abrasive polish or pad.

Anyone put cQuartz UK 3.0 over PPF?

Will make another attempt tomorrow with more pressure.

Attached pictures of the swirls I am seeing. I assume that it would remove these.

Attachments

• 1ADBC5AA-4C16-467C-B853-8D5E05941832.jpeg
    1ADBC5AA-4C16-467C-B853-8D5E05941832.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 178
  • BAC49BBB-F46A-41BC-BC88-38A0C3C4B0C3.jpeg
    BAC49BBB-F46A-41BC-BC88-38A0C3C4B0C3.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 07CBA38E-1FAB-41F6-9B32-FD138029819D.jpeg
    07CBA38E-1FAB-41F6-9B32-FD138029819D.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: Glamisduner

Attached pictures of the swirls I am seeing. I assume that it would remove these.

I used the orange pad myself. You might need a different pad. I know there are different types. Buffer Pad Product Education - Griot's Garage

I see what you mean those are some stubborn swirls.

I also used this flashlight

Give it another shot. Take your time doing one area.

Reactions: paulvinh

I think you can remove most of that, use more polish and a bit more pressure, I sometimes speed up the buffer more than recommended, but if you do be sure to keep the paint cool while you work. The faster the speed, the more you need to move the buffer around.

Reactions: paulvinh

I’m not sure about the griots garage random orbital that you’re using. BUT the PC7424 I use gets bogged down if you apply too much pressure.....and you don’t get the revolutions you really need to cut down those swirls. All it really takes is the weight of the polisher. I found the paint to be pretty soft and didn’t take much to polish. Attached are some before and after pics. After only one or two passes...Using a PC7424, some old menzerna po106 (finishing polish) and lake country white foam pad....which is a pretty mild combo. These swirls were service center induced BTW.

013B6FAC-5357-4ABD-A25B-F722D90A3D5F.jpeg

FF3168C5-24B4-4933-BD3A-06FE0383D5FC.jpeg

Reactions: Glamisduner
I finished. Took like 10+ hours. Now to wait 24 hrs and pray that it is okay when out of the garage. I did the best I could. Haha. Dust is a battle.

Lessons I learned. Hopefully someone else will benefit from...

1. Buy descent MF towels.
2. Prep your garage and maybe use a leaf blower to blow out as much dust as possible the day before. I barely swept. I felt like dust was not possible to avoid at least in my garage.
3. Use some pressure with griots Orbital and take your time. Not too much pressure center of the hood.
4. You don’t need a lot of meguiars m205 on the pad.
5. Get good good light.

Will add when I think of more.

Attachments

• C5C5385A-D10D-463F-898F-D4F54A324171.jpeg
    C5C5385A-D10D-463F-898F-D4F54A324171.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 840282BC-2E9B-4C1C-96EC-2A2084FEF465.jpeg
    840282BC-2E9B-4C1C-96EC-2A2084FEF465.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 844DB1E8-A625-4C60-9EAA-E759A487FEFE.jpeg
    844DB1E8-A625-4C60-9EAA-E759A487FEFE.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 80218DD8-E40E-4C2B-8743-6FE19EF509A2.jpeg
    80218DD8-E40E-4C2B-8743-6FE19EF509A2.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DB388F11-1864-49BF-8C54-44AE503B8C6D.jpeg
    DB388F11-1864-49BF-8C54-44AE503B8C6D.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 141
I have had good luck with my Porter Cable using the Lake Country Orange Pad and the Optimum Hyper Polish...no pressure needed. I would guess that it gets about 90-95% finished for me. I then use the Optimum Paint Prep to clean everything before the Optimum Gloss Coat. I have the past used Blackfire One Step on my wife's vehicle with good success - and it was a mess!!!

I finished. Took like 10+ hours. Now to wait 24 hrs and pray that it is okay when out of the garage. I did the best I could. Haha. Dust is a battle.

2. Prep your garage and maybe use a leaf blower to blow out as much dust as possible the day before. I barely swept. I felt like dust was not possible to avoid at least in my garage.
3. Use some pressure with griots Orbital and take your time. Not too much pressure center of the hood.
5. Get good good light.

What pad are you using? I have a Griots orbital and also a bottle of m205 as well. But I'm going to use a LC white pad.

5. Get good good light.

It looks shiny. Looks good. Maybe I missed it but have you done a ceramic coating?

Have a picture of your result? You might need to move up to a more abrasive polish or pad. Anyone put cQuartz UK 3.0 over PPF?

In a word, don't. You'll strip off the clearcoat. Then you'll be in a boatload of trouble and you'll be spending thousands of dollars to have the car repainted. What people don't seem to understand is that ceramic coating actually fills in micro swirls on the clearcoat surface itself. They literally disappear after application as long as they're not marked. If they're marked (Deep swirls more than a micron or so in depth) you've done something wrong to begin with. Like going into a car wash with poorly maintained brush rollers that pick up and then scrub with sand.

Under no circumstances on a new car should you be using anything other than the finest grade polishing compound. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise because they don't know what they're talking about. If you have any questions about this talk to Tesla or a responsible Tesla bodyshop.

Part of the problem is that there is so much hype about ceramic coating and how difficult it is and how tricky it is (total BS promoted in the service of discouraging people from doing it themselves) that the professional shops have put the fear of God into enthusiasts and convinced them that they should be shelling out $1300-$1500. If you have that kind of money to spend, go for it. If you don't, do it yourself, follow the videos that carefully outline what you need to do, and you'll be pretty pleased with the results.

I undertook this a month ago on one of our two cars – the one in Florida, and the results were simply spectacular. It was also really easy to get good results as long as you didn't leave the ceramic coating application on for too long – in that case you got a real problem and you'll have to use polishing compound to take off the resulting haze. But aside from that caution, and obviously the need to have your paint in reasonably good shape, ceramic coating is a do-it-yourself operation if you have even just passable mechanical skills.

Last edited: