Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Length 11:26 | 12 Hours Labor | 24 Hours Cure

TLDW

How to wash, Clay, Polish, Prep, Ceramic Coat.

1) Wash with the two bucket system top to bottom, a foam cannon is handy.
2) Clay bar the whole car to get ride of contaminants.
3) Polish using a random orbital polisher and M205 with a orange pad.
4) Prep using Gyeon prep (or other like product)
5) Unboxing of the Gyeon Mohs Kit
6) Applying ceramic coating in a hatch pattern, work in 2x2 sections and wipe away after 10-30s
7) ohhhh shinnnyy

Oh man, your car looks great! I would like to add a ceramic coat to mine as well (same color). Do you add the ceramic coating to all the windows, roof, and trim as well? Any troublesome spots to be aware of when applying it?

Great Video! I was thinking about the DIY approach too but have never used an orbital polisher. Any recommendations on which orbital polisher to use or does it not matter?

Thanks!
Back when I was detailing cars as a hobby, the Porter Cable polisher was the one that most people used for light to medium polishing. It's pretty safe and easy to use. The current model is a Porter Cable 7424XP I believe. It looks exactly the same as the one I have. Having a polisher definitely speeds up the process and leads to better results than doing it by hand, IMO.

Back when I was detailing cars as a hobby, the Porter Cable polisher was the one that most people used for light to medium polishing. It's pretty safe and easy to use. The current model is a Porter Cable 7424XP I believe. It looks exactly the same as the one I have. Having a polisher definitely speeds up the process and leads to better results than doing it by hand, IMO.
Thanks for the tip. I will pick one up.

Length 11:26 | 12 Hours Labor | 24 Hours Cure

TLDW

How to wash, Clay, Polish, Prep, Ceramic Coat.

1) Wash with the two bucket system top to bottom, a foam cannon is handy.
2) Clay bar the whole car to get ride of contaminants.
3) Polish using a random orbital polisher and M205 with a orange pad.
4) Prep using Gyeon prep (or other like product)
5) Unboxing of the Gyeon Mohs Kit
6) Applying ceramic coating in a hatch pattern, work in 2x2 sections and wipe away after 10-30s
7) ohhhh shinnnyy
Thank you for the text summary!

Great video! I will definitely be referencing this video when I get my car. The only thing I recommend is wearing gloves when applying the stuff. After all, if the chemicals can get into the paint, I'm sure it will get into the body through the skin. That can't be healthy. :)

Claying & polishing is a HUGE amount of work. If your car is brand new and the paint looks good, there is really no good reason to clay and polish the car. But you will need to polish if you clay as claying will mare the paint.

Wash the car.
Use an contaminate remover such as IronX by CarPro.
Wash again.
Dry.
Use an IPA such as Eraser by CarPro.
Apply a coating.

I used CQuartz UK by CarPro. CarPro makes awesome products but they aren't cheap. I'm not sure who has the "best" coating. But CQuartz has a great rep and I'm very happy. I also highly recommend removing the wheels and putting a coating on them as well. It's a ton of work, but totally worth it.

I love my Ceramic Pro, have put it on several cars and it makes washing so easy plus resisting scratches. There is always that one person who pushes their cart into the side of my car at the grocery store. Never an issue. A real ceramic coating is a must in my book.

Claying & polishing is a HUGE amount of work. If your car is brand new and the paint looks good, there is really no good reason to clay and polish the car. But you will need to polish if you clay as claying will mare the paint.

Wash the car.
Use an contaminate remover such as IronX by CarPro.
Wash again.
Dry.
Use an IPA such as Eraser by CarPro.
Apply a coating.

Maybe you've never seen the "quality" of the paint on a brand new Tesla? My car was delivered filled with halos and even some long clear coat scratches on the hood (visible under the right light)

Any detailer worth their salt knows this is common across many brands. Sure you can just slap some ceramic over the stock paint and "most" people will never notice. But the car won't look amazing, and lets be honest it's not a Kia so it should look amazing.

Maybe you've never seen the "quality" of the paint on a brand new Tesla? My car was delivered filled with halos and even some long clear coat scratches on the hood (visible under the right light)

Any detailer worth their salt knows this is common across many brands. Sure you can just slap some ceramic over the stock paint and "most" people will never notice. But the car won't look amazing, and lets be honest it's not a Kia so it should look amazing.
The paint on my Model 3 was surprisingly really good. But I understand and agree with your overall point.

I've got the porter cable DA polisher and it works great. I'm going to do some paint correction before I ceramic coat it.

Great video. You made me spend money!

I bought:
Griot's Garage Random Orbital Kit, 6' from Pep Boys - $128 + tax
Gyeon Q2 Pure Ceramic 50ml from eBay - $115
Meguire's M205 Polish ($25) and Griot's Orange Pad ($12) from Advanced Auto Parts
Mothers Clay Bar System from Amazon - $15

My car better be as shiny as yours!

Reactions: daver6640

I bought:
Meguire's M205 Polish ($25) and Griot's Orange Pad ($12) from Advanced Auto Parts

I'd also recommend from prep spray before you coat it like Gyeon's.

I bought:

You need a prep agent after the polish. Gyeon prep is like $15.

It's a glorified degreaser, there are other products that would produce a similar result.