Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you want a phone case? :p
No, for the real fob.
various_colour_brick_wall_pattern_wallets_for_women-re7c25125378a430686cebe059354cb8c_ivxar_8byvr_324.jpg

Update 2:

I'm able to discuss a little more without speculating. The latest is that a firmware error was the primary contributing factor that stopped the 12V from charging as designed. A new firmware, which fixes the issue I experienced, was loaded onto the car. This appears to have remedied the error. They replaced the 12V battery (as a precaution since it was fully drained) with a brand new one and have been monitoring its charge. As of now, it's holding a charge as expected. Since I'm not in a hurry, I did say it wouldn't be a problem to keep the car over the weekend to ensure the the 12V battery behaves as expected over a longer time frame. (They'll let it sit there and monitor the charge.)

So, while it was unfortunate that it happened to me, I think it also highlights the power of the ability to rapidly update firmware in the field. In theory, this update will prevent all future cars from having the same issue.

Do they have any idea if the issue is related to this case that was also going to be fixed by a future firmware update? I am just curious if they thought they fixed it after his issue but then it cropped up again, or if they're just getting around to fixing it for everyone now.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer
Heh. I used to moderate the official online communities for Fox Television, like X-Files, back before there was an “Internet” with web browsers. This is nothing compared to dealing with fans pissed off about their favorite show being cancelled. ;)
So it was you! Dude I can't forgive you for cancelling Firefly. What were you thinking!?

OT: Agree on Firefly. I watched that whole thing one day, years ago.
Hard to believe nobody has tried to revisit that.

OT Website question: Once Mark has a solution, can he update the original post with it?
I mean, is it up to the original poster to do that?
This would be a big time saver when digging for answers.
Thanks.

A thread theme song:
Brick (baby, offside your head)

OT: Agree on Firefly. I watched that whole thing one day, years ago.
Hard to believe nobody has tried to revisit that.

OT Website question: Once Mark has a solution, can he update the original post with it?
I mean, is it up to the original poster to do that?
This would be a big time saver when digging for answers.
Thanks.

A thread theme song:
Brick (baby, offside your head)

Pretty sure he has no ability to update it after the fifteen minute edit window. We've had a friendly moderator following the thread and modifying the initial post. He hasn't committed to continuing to do so, but I suspect he might do it anyway.

I want to be clear I have not been asked by Tesla remain quiet. It is my understanding that an engineer was brought into the Service Center to have a more detailed look at my car. There's a tremendous amount of attention on this thread and I just don't want to speculate--or feed any rumors--until they give me something definitive.
Oh come on now - this is TMC, where the absence of information only feeds the flames of rampant speculation and conspiracy theories ;)
We don't let mere facts get in the way of our speculation:D

Reactions: MarkS22
Maybe it is about trickle charging 12V battery? That happens every day. Might happen more often when colder.
Because if vehicle is in daily use, when it is 12*C outside pack is at around +15...+18*C. Which is near ideal.
My Leaf has not had it's battery above +12*C since December (with one exception of double DC charging session).
It would be unacceptable waste by Bolt if it had to constantly heat the battery.
And I have lots of regen available when battery is at least +3...+5*C.
I'm no subject matter expert, but the Leaf's battery temperature is managed by air and the Bolt and Tesla via liquid.

And the Bolt begins to spend energy on battery conditioning at 12C.

Do they have any idea if the issue is related to this case that was also going to be fixed by a future firmware update? I am just curious if they thought they fixed it after his issue but then it cropped up again, or if they're just getting around to fixing it for everyone now.

Seems like it could be. Maybe OPs car was still running older firmware when it happened?

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Update 2:

I'm able to discuss a little more without speculating. The latest is that a firmware error was the primary contributing factor that stopped the 12V from charging as designed. A new firmware, which fixes the issue I experienced, was loaded onto the car. This appears to have remedied the error. They replaced the 12V battery (as a precaution since it was fully drained) with a brand new one and have been monitoring its charge. As of now, it's holding a charge as expected. Since I'm not in a hurry, I did say it wouldn't be a problem to keep the car over the weekend to ensure the the 12V battery behaves as expected over a longer time frame. (They'll let it sit there and monitor the charge.)

So, while it was unfortunate that it happened to me, I think it also highlights the power of the ability to rapidly update firmware in the field. In theory, this update will prevent all future cars from having the same issue.
I lost the wager. Who do I owe $10 to? j/k

Update 2:

Was the firmware error pushed to the car or did it come with the car? If it came with the car...why wasn't your car OTA updated with the proper SW?

Update 2:
I'm able to discuss a little more without speculating. The latest is that a firmware error was the primary contributing factor...

I noticed you started a thread just 5 days before you started this one where you said you updated to 2017.50.13 and had an unexpected charging notice.
2017.50.13 550ee35 "Supercharging Option Not Enabled"

You said they put 2018.4.6 on your car now. I'm still on 2017.50.12, no update notices. I think I'll be sure to stay away from 2017.50.13...

• Informative
Reactions: MarkS22