Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record though, that kind of failure rate would be appalling today - I think we're a little beyond Jack Welch's 1980's standards of Six Sigma. You'd really want a failure rate of lower than 3 in 1 billion with today's cars.

Also not every component failure should cause catastrophic system failures.

Yeah, that was just to show the scaling of probabilities and that it's amazing that anything works.

Thanks for letting us know. Now we’ve got HVC, drive unit, and 12V as culprits leaving people stranded lol. Ugh.
Seems like the drive unit failing is a rarer occurrence?

If I'm not mistaken - seems like the HVC and the 12V are an interconnected issue. 12v fault blows out a chip on the HVC board, which might be avoided by firmware to prevent it from happening.

I have a model 3 on order in the UK.
I will be using it as a taxi. I cannot afford to have any reliability problems. I really hope Tesla can sort these issues out as at present I will be be cancelling my order and going with a Leaf. Leaf drive failures are virtually unheard off and the cars are extremely reliable. I cannot understand why Tesla is not using the same technology.
Do we know this for sure? Do you follow the Leaf forums? The battery degradation and lack of range would seem like a pretty big issue too. Hopefully the Model 3 will be more reliable by the time you’re able to get one.

Yikes. I can’t remember...did they give you a loaner? I’d be so mad to be paying a loan and be without my car for almost a whole month.
Well I did not ask for a loaner as I have a car that I have been trying to sell to make a down payment. Ironically enough I finally have a buyer at the price I was asking and now I have to tell them I do not know when I can sell it to them. The service center is over 100 miles away so it also would not have been feasible to get a loaner. A rental yes. I must admit that the 3 hours I got to drive the car were as good as advertised but paying 61k for a new car that immediately breaks down is a hard pill to swallow. I am willing to give Tesla some leeway because it’s all a new technology but this is stretching that goodnwill to the limit. It’s compounded by the fact the employees act with an almost indifference and are not forthcoming with information. My guess is the car sat there for a week before they even looked at it. Depending on who you talk to you get a different story. They say it should be fixed by next week. That will be fine but I feel they should have to transport it back to me as opposed to me taking a day off work and driving a rental to pick it up. I did ask the service technician if this is common and he said no so I hope no one else has this problem. I have driven Infiniti’s for the past 20 years and had much better service experiences. I hope that aspect of Tesla improves. FYI. I did opt out of binding arbitration per the purchase agreement just in case.

Well I did not ask for a loaner as I have a car that I have been trying to sell to make a down payment. Ironically enough I finally have a buyer at the price I was asking and now I have to tell them I do not know when I can sell it to them. The service center is over 100 miles away so it also would not have been feasible to get a loaner. A rental yes. I must admit that the 3 hours I got to drive the car were as good as advertised but paying 61k for a new car that immediately breaks down is a hard pill to swallow. I am willing to give Tesla some leeway because it’s all a new technology but this is stretching that goodnwill to the limit. It’s compounded by the fact the employees act with an almost indifference and are not forthcoming with information. My guess is the car sat there for a week before they even looked at it. Depending on who you talk to you get a different story. They say it should be fixed by next week. That will be fine but I feel they should have to transport it back to me as opposed to me taking a day off work and driving a rental to pick it up. I did ask the service technician if this is common and he said no so I hope no one else has this problem. I have driven Infiniti’s for the past 20 years and had much better service experiences. I hope that aspect of Tesla improves. FYI. I did opt out of binding arbitration per the purchase agreement just in case.
I feel your pain. Coming from Lexus hybrid, I was really bummed to have an "experimental car" experience leave me stranded. My situation was very similar, with the exception that as soon as the error logs were viewed they knew what had to be ordered/replaced. They never seemed 100% certain they nailed it, but my car has been fine ever since. The SC's are definitely behind the 8 ball, but I think central engineering is on their game.
So glad to have it back with no problems. Love this car.
I hope they get yours fixed soon!

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I feel your pain. Coming from Lexus hybrid, I was really bummed to have an "experimental car" experience leave me stranded. My situation was very similar, with the exception that as soon as the error logs were viewed they knew what had to be ordered/replaced. They never seemed 100% certain they nailed it, but my car has been fine ever since. The SC's are definitely behind the 8 ball, but I think central engineering is on their game.
Thanks. I do too. I am glad your issue got resolved. I feel the same way in that I am not 100 percent confident they found the problem. Their words to me were “we will change the module and see if that fixes the problem”. Not exactly real confident.

Well I got the car back Thursday and so far everything running great. I guess it was just a bad module. Looking forward to driving the car now. Alls well that ends well.