TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 Drive System Validated after 1 Million Miles of Testing

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Kermee, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

It's purdy.

Tweet: The Model 3 drive system is designed and validated for over 1 million miles – this is what the gears look like after testing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
  2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Pics broken.

Edit, that's crazy. They look brand new.

3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

The motors also made it 1M miles? Amazing if so.

• Like x 2
  4. Kermee

Yeah. Pretty amazing if so. My assumption would be yes, since AFAIK, the motors are sealed and enclosed inside the same drive system. I know Tesla is aiming for 1 million miles for their Tesla Semi which apparently currently uses four of the Model 3 drive systems according to Electrek.co. So the 1 million miles drive system testing and validation on the Model 3 makes sense.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Wonder what is causing the few infant mortality drive units we have seen on the 3? My neighbor had his fail on day 2 of ownership and I have seen a few reports here of others failing early as well.

• Like x 2
  6. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#6 ℬête Noire, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Wait a second.
    (1,000,000 mi / 60mph) = 16,667 hr
    16,667hr / 24hr/day = 694.4 days

That would take nearly two years running constant to hit that mark. Even it you bumped it to 100 mph it's over a year. It also means it would (EDT: not) factor in the extra wear of stop/starts. Hmmm.

• Like x 2
  7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Model 3 has been in development since 2014-ish.

8. Nocturnal

Elon probably borrowed the time machine prototype from the DeLorean division.

• Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  9. Eth3r

Eth3r Member

More road trips here I come!

• Like x 1
  10. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Good question.

Somehow these kind of simulated lab-miles really mean very little when it comes to actual road miles in dirt and grime and other conditions.

• Like x 3
  11. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Not necessarily true. The drive units are sealed so the only "real world" things that they might not be reproducing in the lab would be road vibration & shocks as well as temperature variations.

Tesla could also go with the argument that 1M miles in lab conditions works out to say 750K miles in "real world" conditions. In any event they are demonstrating that these units are wayyyyyyy more reliable than internal combustion engines. Modern ICE are extremely reliable and require minimal maintenance, but they will still require regular servicing and major servicing on most around the 100K mile mark and most would need some kind of rebuild or refurbishment (new rings, rods, re-bore, gaskets, etc.) around 200K-300K miles.

• Like x 7
  12. Nocturnal

Yeah, I think it's a whole different system than what we normally think of it terms of an ICE engine. Contaminants from combustion/moisture etc.

13. Kermee

I see what you did there... ;)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  14. North75

North75 Member

I hope they did a lot of aggressive starts and stops.
    Running steady speed for 1,000,000 miles wouldn't be that bad if the lubricant holds up.

• Like x 3
  15. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Really will be interesting to see how these cars age. 200K miles is the gold standard for ICE cars, and even to get there you limp through many brake jobs, a timing belt or two, and probably countless other repairs. Imagine if these cars can get to 500K with little/no maintenance. Paradigm shift in more ways than one!

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  16. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

Know a few labs here locally. Both OEM and outside testers. These places run 24/7 and it is under some crazy conditions they subject everything from motors to interior light switches. So in summary they don't just turn it on and let it run. They do the things these evil minded engineers must sleep at night dreaming of torture, and apply to what they work on.

I could only get about 250k out trucks that I had to haul stuff with. Spent the money. Did the repairs/maintenance. Eventually the question became. Do I want to be in the middle of X when it dies? So at 250k they were deemed no longer reliable. Motors/tranny. Rings and drilling stuff is not worth it unless you are in diesel world. Move on unless its a farm truck.

Would love to see a Model 3 with an original motor at a million miles. Hope even more it will be mine.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Eh, its all the rest of the stuff that breaks on Teslas that will keep them from being a paradigm shift for a while yet. Once they catch up with making reliable "normal" car parts, then things will change.

I have owned 3 Teslas. They have all required more trips to the service center than any prior car I have ever owned. I tell people they are the least reliable cars that I love anyways.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  18. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

"Sugar happens."

As per my post, though, there's timing issues for being able to include typical start/stop duty cycles rather than just running constant (even if under load, assuming they had a test harness that could simulate load and still be durable enough for near 24/7 uptime).

19. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

How long did the original Model S drive units last in this test? I kid because I love :D
    I wouldn't be surprised if gasoline engines can go 1 million miles in a lab. I think it's a little soon to start bragging about Tesla's reliability.

• Like x 4
  20. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

My front drive unit didn't make it to 1k miles o_O. I'm hoping the replacement unit is of the same revision as the ones that made it to 1M miles.

• Like x 1