Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Electric Lift Gate with Soft Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought you all might enjoy seeing an installed version of the newly available Tesla Model 3 electric lift gate setup with soft close feature. This kit is available from Teslaoffers.com in Hong Kong and may soon be available from RPMTesla.comin CA. including installations for Southern California. I installed this yesterday doing the majority of the work myself with some help from Mark at RPM Tesla on some of the trickier hard parts. As I state in the video, this is not what I would call a beginners project. As a result of my installation yesterday and my feedback to the manufacturer, they are making a few mods that will make it easier in the future. Nonetheless, I would happily pay someone $300 to have them do it if I had to do it again. There is a fair amount of disassembly and reassembly of the vehicle required.

In the trunk you need to remove the deck lid cover, the piece along the bottom, both tail lights, the trim piece under the rear deck and moving the carpeting down out of the way.

You will need to open the drivers side footwell panel and unsnap some of the side channel covers to run wiring. Current installation requires you to do this to both sides of the vehicle.

The harder part is getting two cables with connectors from the lower trunk area up to the closing deck lid. I have tested it with the Tesla App, Remote S and Status and it worked well to open and close the trunk. It also works from the trunk handle and closing via the button. If you have any questions feel free to ask. The video is not the greatest but I rarely use video so I am a NOOB.