Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been a week and there’s only a limited amount of information about the production Model 3 to be had. The awesome TMC Staff compiled this blog roundup of reviews right after the event (Model 3 Test Drive Review Roundup), but I only found it by searching the forum – it’s not on the Model 3 thread page. Below is a list of more reading for those of us who are starving for info on this car. There are also several YouTube videos by Bjorn and KMan that are informative.

Tesla Model 3 review: first drive of Elon Musk’s affordable EV
Tesla Model 3 review: first drive of Elon Musk's affordable EV

A closer look at Tesla Model 3's spartan interior. And how it compares to the screen in the Model S A closer look at Tesla Model 3's spartan interior

Tesla Model 3 first drive: this is the car that Elon Musk promised.
Tesla Model 3 first drive: this is the car that Elon Musk promised

These 3 Bloomberg articles are quite good:

Tesla’s Model 3 Arrives With a Surprise 310-Mile Range: Elon Musk finally unveils the long-awaited electric car for the masses.
Tesla’s Model 3 Arrives With a Surprise 310-Mile Range

Driving Tesla’s Model 3 Changes Everything: We took one out for a spin, and have little doubt the age of electric cars has arrived.
Driving Tesla’s Model 3 Changes Everything

Camper Mode? I Went Camping in the Trunk of a $145,000 Tesla

2017 Tesla Model 3: Everything We Know: Attempting to bring the EV to the masses.
2018 Tesla Model 3: Everything We Know | Feature | Car and Driver

Tesla Model 3 is well worth the hype
Tesla Model 3 is well worth the hype

Tesla Model 3 quick drive review
Tesla Model 3 quick drive review | CarAdvice

Here’s What Reviewers Think About Tesla’s Model 3 So Far
Here’s What Reviewers Think About Tesla’s Model 3 So Far

All the things the Internet hates about the Tesla Model 3 have me excited

All the things the Internet hates about the Tesla Model 3 have me excited

Driving a Tesla Model 3 is pretty damn awesome
Driving a Tesla Model 3 is pretty damn awesome

Your smartphone is the key for the Tesla Model 3
Your smartphone is the key for the Tesla Model 3

Yes, this post is a lazy mess, but I'm out of practice. Is it sticky worthy?

...Priced at $35k in basic form, it costs half as much as its bigger Model S brother And with a range of 310 miles, a 0-60mph time of 5.1 seconds...

I dislike when they quote base price, then optional specs as if they are from the same car. If they are talking about 310 mile range and 5.1 0-60 why do they quote the price of the (not yet available) base model? That kind of marketing doubletalk is annoying sometimes.

Well I suppose for many people getting tax incentives, the long range version does come back down to around that base price once all is said and done.

The article does go on to clarify everything... It was just that first paragraph that threw me off at first.

...but get busy with the options boxes and the maths becomes more challenging...
The way Brits say "maths" there seems so odd to an American...

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon
Glad I watched it before they pulled it. He was just standing in front of Tesla HQ talking about his impressions of being able to drive / examine the Model 3. Said they wouldn't let him film inside the cars.

I thought he said that he sat and rode in the cars, but wasn't able to drive any. (or film) Although he made some statements that sounded like he had driven one. At any rate I thought he had some interesting insights.

I'd added this to my 'watch later' list but was surprised to see that it was pulled. I can only assume that it was at the request of Tesla?

Why is their so much secrecy over the finer details on a car that is released?
To increase hype, maybe? I mean it's working on me. I followed a forum for months discussing whether the Aero wheels were caps or not.

I think he brought up a point that I was a little concerned about, albeit a bit petty. The charging "cradle" or area that comes with PUP is great for charging your phone, but not for using it. Once docked, it sounds like it's kinda out of reach. Small, but not ideal.
That could be intentional, to keep you from using your phone while driving. The question for me is whether there is enough integration of the phone features into the Tesla UI that it removes the temptation to touch the phone. Will it read / dictate text messages, control media playback with useful amounts of metadata, etc.

Reactions: Sudre and tgal
That could be intentional, to keep you from using your phone while driving. The question for me is whether there is enough integration of the phone features into the Tesla UI that it removes the temptation to touch the phone. Will it read / dictate text messages, control media playback with useful amounts of metadata, etc.

If it's anything like phone integration in the Model S, then be prepared to be disappointed. The Model S Bluetooth phone integration is... lacking.. to say the least. It is roughly 5 years behind our 2011 Jetta.