Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree no critical references, but that's different than "loved everything". I counted no less than seven minor quibbles (i.e. not perfect therefore didn't "love" it) regarding the brakes and or tires or combination thereof. In his first test drive video he does do some major quibbling over the driver interface.

Oh well. Edmund's loves the car overall, the reviewer has kept his reservation and that's what matters.

(i.e. not perfect therefore didn't "love" it) regarding the brakes and or tires or combination thereof.

What??

He said, (paraphrasing) "braking will be much better if we use performance tires than the stock 18" tires, and that difference in braking performance is to be expected". That is not even a quibble. That is just a simple observation, a simple statement of fact for *any* car. If someone says, LR will go further than SR on a single charge, that is just a simple statement.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Interesting that the base & 19inch versions are “under-tired” for the single motor.

Tells me that the AWD with better rubber is going to be a remarkable car.

Your right. They are under-tired but only on a road course. Both the all season Michelin and Conti’s are fine tires for the street. Track performance will be significantly improved with performance summer tires on either the 18 or 19’s.

Interestingly other factors come into play when you start increasing tire grip alone on a street car that has bushings, suspension and brakes designed to maximize the driving experience on the factory tires. As lateral cornering grip dramatically improves the stock suspension setup is forced to limits not achievable on the stock tires. As braking zone mechanical grip (tire grip) dramatically improves the brakes are are taxed much harder before pushing into ABS.
For instance switching to a performance summer tire on track will improve the handling significantly on the Model 3 within its suspension and design limits. Switching to a very sticky street/track day tire on track will push the stock suspension to its limit and the brakes possibly past their limit on a track.
As you start improving one of the suspension, tires or brakes that single improvement will have an effect on the other two areas left stock. No big issue for a street car but as you build up a track car your always chasing the weak link that wasn’t weak before you changed something else!
Always best to make improvements one at a time to see the effect of that single improvement. Doing wheels, tires and suspension all at the same time doesn’t give individual weight to each improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3
Just picked up my Model 3 today vin #6260. Here are my first impressions. For reference, I've had a P85 Model S for the past 5 years.

First of all, I love the car. The build quality is great and I really don't see any build issues. Driving the car, it seems "tighter" than my Model S. I thought, I would miss the second screen display, but really this is not a big deal.

Here are the positives compared to the Model S:
Drive is "tighter" than the Model S
Interior seating is more comfortable and much more storage as far as console and map pockets are concerned
Acceleration is fine - not quite the P85 but more than adequate
The audio system sounds better - more fidelity
Love the adaptive cruise control and auto-pilot (Model S did not have these)

Here are some negatives:
Miss the navigation display through the steering wheel
No AM radio
No Sirius XM radio - this is my biggest complaint

Overall, I think I like the Model 3 better since it is a small car and easier to drive.

IMG_3771.JPG
IMG_3772.JPG
IMG_3773.JPG

I picked up 63xx model 3 last week. Standard aero wheel set. My compare is to a 70D.
Build quality is great
AP2.5 better than expected
Audio - great but not levels of magnitude better than the S
Seating - I've said this elsewhere. You tend to sit more on the model 3 and more in the S
Handling - Even though it is considerably heavier, I prefer the dual. I agree with the comment about not enough rubber. Its feels much less planted laterally. Almost too much torque for just two wheel drive. That said, the 3 dual motor version should be quite a revelation!

Just picked up my Model 3 today vin #6260. Here are my first impressions. For reference, I've had a P85 Model S for the past 5 years.

First of all, I love the car. The build quality is great and I really don't see any build issues. Driving the car, it seems "tighter" than my Model S. I thought, I would miss the second screen display, but really this is not a big deal.

Here are the positives compared to the Model S:
Drive is "tighter" than the Model S
Interior seating is more comfortable and much more storage as far as console and map pockets are concerned
Acceleration is fine - not quite the P85 but more than adequate
The audio system sounds better - more fidelity
Love the adaptive cruise control and auto-pilot (Model S did not have these)

Here are some negatives:
Miss the navigation display through the steering wheel
No AM radio
No Sirius XM radio - this is my biggest complaint

Overall, I think I like the Model 3 better since it is a small car and easier to drive.

View attachment 281664 View attachment 281665 View attachment 281666

Nice concise comparison. You're dog is watching in the background!

• Informative
Reactions: rsbell
Consumer Reports had a nice first drive review: First Drive: Tesla Model 3

Overall they like it except firm ride, and low backseat and unsure about the center display.

Some highlights:

Our testers were impressed by our car’s glued-to-the-road handling, with steering that is quick and precise, much like a well-tuned sports car. The Model 3’s taut suspension keeps the car from leaning when cornering, while its sharp reflexes help it carve through tight turns with ease and tear down straightaways.

Ride quality is a different matter. The car is overly stiff, struggling to absorb bumps with the dignity expected from a luxury car. There’s also considerable wind noise at highway speeds.

The Autopilot system combines such systems as adaptive cruise control which maintains speed and is able to vary it to keep pace with traffic. It can bring the car to a stop and resume driving during stop-and-go snarls.

It’s activated by pulling down on the column-mounted gear selector lever twice, and our initial impression is that it works pretty well.

While it’s not as smooth as most human drivers are, Autopilot on the Model 3 does a good job of keeping the car between lane lines. The experience in this car is similar to what we found in our latest Model S.

It’s important to keep in mind that Autopilot isn’t designed to react to all unexpected situations, which means it’s essential for drivers to remain attentive and engaged, and to keep their hands on the steering wheel.
The driving position in the Model 3 is fantastic. Even with thick front pillars, the car’s expansive windshield, sloping hood, and low dashboard give a clear, commanding view of the road ahead. It’s similar to what it feels like to drive a sports car like an Acura NSX or Porsche 718 Boxster—cars that, like the Model 3, don’t have an engine up front and therefore have a lower hood. The only real visibility issue is the high shelf behind the rear seats, which can partially hide the view of the car directly behind.

The steering wheel has a thick rim and a small diameter, much like some race cars have. That design is possible because in the Model 3, the driver does not need to see through the steering wheel to monitor any gauges.
Our last Model S had some issues with the fit of trim pieces, but so far the Model 3’s interior feels solid. We haven’t noticed any squeaks, rattles, or misalignments.​

My Model 3 was delivered yesterday late afternoon. It took me a while to get the app to let me in (turns out Tesla had to flag the car as Delivered before the app would allow me to access it). And entirely through my own stupidity it took me a while to get bluetooth to connect. Then it was late and I don't like driving in the dark.

This morning after my cardio (cardio comes ahead of anything) I went out for a drive, about 40 miles, mostly on the freeway. I wanted to get a feel for the car, and also let it calibrate itself.

Bug: At roundabouts, the NAV uses programmer numbering. It says "Take the first exit" when you need to take the second. And It calls the third exit the second. (I knew where I was so didn't get thrown off.)

Weakness: I got to the end of the map. After that, and until I turned around and got back to the map, it was just blank. Apparently it won't load more map segments on the fly. (I had not programmed a destination. I just drove for a while.

The automatic windshield wipers worked like a charm.

It does not accelerate as quickly as my Roadster, but it's no slouch at all. It's got some really good oomph.

It handles very nicely. I had it set on Normal for this first drive, and it felt solid and responsive.

It's way too big. I really want a much smaller car. But I managed okay with it.

Easy Entry worked the first time I set it up, and then it didn't work. I need to figure out what I did wrong. I'm going to get the local Tesla ranger to give me a walk-through, what I imagine people who pick their cars up at a delivery center get. A few other things, I just couldn't figure out. The car is more computer than car, and there's going to be a hard learning curve.

Conclusion: Overall, and in spite of the problems, I LOVE IT!!!

It's too hard to find what I need on the screen. I wish the Homelink button would leave the Homelink window open, so I could open it as I approach the gate, and then hit the Open button when I get there. But it closes after a couple of seconds, so I need to press both buttons while I'm turning in to the gate. That's annoying. Lots of stuff it buried where I cannot find it. I'll learn where stuff is, but this is a weakness of putting too much on the screen.

The speed indicator is easy to see even though it's not in the usual place directly behind the steering wheel. But controlling the music volume while driving is dangerous. The icon is too small and repeatedly pressing the Up or Down buttons is distracting. It's hard to see the time, way off to the right.

I'm probably leaving stuff out. It's time to fix some lunch. Thinking of pizza, to celebrate the new car, and as comfort food to compensate for the frustrations. I love the new car. I will be listing the Roadster for sale soon. It's raining now and likely to continue, so I can't take pictures of it yet.

Tesla: You screwed up a few things, but overall you created a truly fabulous car.

now thats disappointing
I don't know, I totally disagree with this statement. Ride quality is extremely subjective, I rented one on turo for a weekend, put 300 miles on it, car was tight and sporty but still extremely compliant through some horrible streets in LA. I guess if you are coming from an ls400 or some other boat sure I would agree, but compared to my 2017 A4 I would say its more comfortable.... Configured yesterday, can't wait to have my own 3 to drive!

Ride quality is a different matter. The car is overly stiff, struggling to absorb bumps with the dignity expected from a luxury car. There’s also considerable wind noise at highway speeds.

now thats disappointing

While the car does not ride like a Lincoln Town Car, I didn't expect it to. I was quite happy with the ride quality when I took mine out for its first ride, some 40 miles, mostly freeway.

Day 2. Went to the bank, 5 miles away, to get the registration papers notarized. Stood in line for a few minutes and then realized I didn't have the papers. Went back home and got the papers and returned to the bank. Total 20 miles driving. No complaints. It was a good excuse to drive the car.

The left scroll button does indeed control the music volume.

I like the car even more today. Used TACC for the first time. Pretty slick! Not great in heavy traffic where I'd rather manage my following distance. I expect it to be a treat on the freeway.

I don't like having to use my phone for music because that leaves the Music program in the foreground when I leave the car. But my iPod Shuffle, which was my music device for the Roadster, doesn't work in the Model 3. Finally solved the problem with a flash drive for my music, which took some doing. That story is here. Post #5 in that thread is my description of how I did it, in case anyone else is struggling with the same issue.

I'm loving this car.

• Helpful