TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Qualchan, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. daniel

daniel Active Member

Here's what would be nice, and probably could be done just in software: Before I leave the store and my hands are still free, tell the app: <When I approach the car, pop open the frunk.> Or for other times: <When I approach the car, pop open the tailgate.> But I'd need to be able to tell the app this while I'm still in the store, but have it take the action only when I approach.

I can't see them agreeing to do this, but it would solve my grocery problem.

But this is why a fob is so much better idea: Four buttons: 1. Open door(s); 2. Open Trunk; 3. Open Frunk; 4. Lock car. Maybe add a fifth: Honk horn (for finding the car in a parking lot when you've forgotten where it is.)

2. favo

favo P3D+ owner

They could use the cameras and/or ultrasonic sensors plus detecting phone as key to allow a gesture (foot, hand, whatever) to open the frunk and/or trunk.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  3. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I'm jealous !

Enjoy your new car Daniel, frustrations and all. After all, if you figure it all out on day #1, the car becomes old hat too quickly.

• Like x 2
  4. daniel

daniel Active Member

An observation about using TACC in city driving:

TACC will bring the car to a full stop when the car in front stops (as at a stop light) and will resume moving when the car in front resumes. However, it slows down more aggressively than I would, and comes back to speed more gradually than I would. When I see cars stopped at a red light ahead, I slow down more gradually as I approach. TACC continues at full speed until it's much closer, and then brakes harder. When I see the light turn green, I can anticipate that the car in front of me is going to resume moving, and I'm never farther behind it than I would otherwise be for the speed of traffic. TACC allows a lot more space to open up before it catches up.

Of course, as noted in the manual, TACC will NOT stop for a red light or stop sign.

I think I will like TACC more on the freeway than in the city. I think it's not really intended for city driving. They have a lot of work to do before they'll have FSD.

I tried out auto-steer. It's scary, but it works. Maybe "scary" is not the right word. Maybe creepy is the word. Like when Arnold cuts his forearm open and you see that he's a machine.

• Funny x 2
  5. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Maybe the TACC slowdown/speedup is dependent on following distance setting? Very curious on that.

6. daniel

daniel Active Member

I'm sure that is the case. It does not start to slow down until it reaches the set distance. But it accelerates so slowly that it fails to maintain the set distance.

7. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Interesting, thanks. I've never driven a car with autopilot before, but I think I would only use it on longer trip legs to help overcome fatigue. In the ciy, or on fun roads, I want to enjoy the driving.

8. daniel

daniel Active Member

The manual warns you not to use autopilot on fun roads. :) It's for relatively straight, well-marked highways. I had to try it out in town, though. But for fun driving, you want a Roadster. It's possible to get one used.

• Funny x 1
  9. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
  10. BoscoBoy

BoscoBoy Member

4.5 years ago, when I took delivery of my first Model S, I remember crying on the drive home, crying with the joy of being so fortunate as to own/drive such a fantastic vehicle. Had the same experience all over again this morning, driving home my partner's Model 3. What a beautiful car, what a fantastic driving experience! It's been less than an hour and less than 25 miles, but there's no question this vehicle is a 100% winner.

Maybe 'cause I'm a Model S driver, but I found the screen and controls totally easy to use. Did have to hunt for the glove box release :) Glancing slightly to the side for the speed is easy; looking straight ahead, driving with no dials or gauges in view is wonderful.

So (when my Model S returns from the body shop) we'll be a two-red-Tesla household; seems a bit over the top, but WTF, you only live twice.
    IMG_0380.jpg

• Like x 13
    • Love x 1
  11. porscheboy

porscheboy New Member

Nice review - detailed, without any rambling.

• Like x 3
  12. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I really like this YouTuber's presentation style. I subscribed, looking forward to more.

• Like x 3
  13. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Agreed. Just when I am seriously thinking of canceling my reservation (due to the standard model being pushed out to no longer qualify for the full US fed tax credit, and the current QC issues), this vid comes along and has me wanting to hold on to it.

14. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Agree, great video. What absolutely cemented my commitment to the Model 3 was actually driving You You’s in January even though it was 2 AM and -17 C outside. Couldn’t sleep when I got home at 4.
    I believe it won’t be long before the initial QC issues (not unexpected) slowly fade away.

15. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Nice.

Regarding QC, it's already been eight months in production. Little crap I don't care about (like dash discoloration or possessed radios or anything else that does not leave me stranded); but still seeing consistent dead car and dead screen reports this far out is scary.

16. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

#256 slipnslider, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    AMEN brother. You echoed my thoughts exactly. I usually get scolded on tesla forums for saying these things.
    But yes, digging through touchscreen menus is inferior to just hitting a physical button. It takes 3 touchscreen swipes to switch from FM radio to streaming music from my phone. And touchscreens suck to operate while driving because you have to be precise where you press while you're bouncing around in a moving car.

The phone key is the dumbest feature of this car. Cool in theory, but functionally inferior in many ways. Especially in reliability. This system will require a ton of troubleshooting that a fob would never require. And the key card is lame and unreliable too. I'd be fine with the phone key if a regular fob was also offered, but getting rid of the reliable fob to switch to a less reliable phone key is stupid. BRING BACK THE FOB! #bringbackthefob

And the glass roof! Also cool in theory. It looked awesome on the prototypes which had clear roofs. But now it's tinted so dark that it's pointless. This is why no one has tried glass roofs before- Not because they're not as creative or brave as tesla, but because they're not a good idea. They have to be either tinted so dark that it ruins the view, or you get scorched by the sun. If the glass could switch from transparent to opaque that would be awesome, but it can't. I wish I didn't have to pay for the pointless glass roof in order to get the awesome stereo.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

It does, but when I used it, it seemed random in how much the wheel would adjust volume. Sometimes I would spin and spin and spin the wheel while the volume SLOWLY changed. Other times a quick spin of the wheel would rapidly change the volume. You need to be able to quickly and easily make large audio volume adjustments in a car. Which is why a physical analogue knob is best. And if that physical knob is simply sending digital signals, it needs to be calibrated properly, which mine was not.

18. oripaamoni

oripaamoni Member

Had the same issue in the car i rented on Turo, this was actually my biggest annoyance in the car believe it or not...

• Like x 1
  19. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

Daniel - you are spot on with your observations. The phone app substituting for key fob is only going to make it more annoying in some situations.

• Like x 1
  20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

• Like x 3