TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Qualchan, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

According to the Toyota website, MSRP for a loaded Camry XLE V6 with Nav and Driver Assist is $36,935.

Customize Your Own Car, Truck, SUV or Hybrid

2. Sg911

Sg911 Member

#382 Sg911, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    The awd Model3 is about as fast as a new BMW 340i, and the 3P for $10k more is as fast , if not faster than a BMW M3 at $80’s, and for $15k less ( my build is $67k not including rebates) - So I think anyone that would look at a BMW M3 or AMG , is a no brainer for the M3P !! l:D all These acronymns....

3. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Well, it'll also cost you your dignity :p

• Funny x 7
  4. sreams

sreams Member

True. I was comparing the Camry SE, which was the car being described.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Nope.

6. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

Model 3 suspension is a good equivalent of 340i suspension, but it's not as hard edge capable as the M3. The interior of a premium BMW is also way ahead of the Model 3.

Simply being an EV is the great difference. Then comes performance. If you're likely to go over 100, the ICE cars win. In normal human driving the Tesla wins.

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I drove a 430i for about a week and man did it make me miss the Model 3.

• Love x 1
  8. Santa Claws

Santa Claws Member

Test drove a P3D+ a few weeks back and the closest analogy I could come up with is being cryogenically frozen for 20 years and then waking up to the cars of that time... What a game changer. I left that test drive dumbfounded.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  9. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Well then enjoy your Bummer M3 while you choke on the fumes. [​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  10. sreams

sreams Member

More specifically... a Camry SE (which is what the poster I was replying to was talking about). I just configured one on the Toyota website. With every option it was about $30K.

11. sreams

sreams Member

Well... if the P3D actually does beat an M3 on the track (as claimed by Elon), then you will have been proven wrong (when it comes to suspension).

12. OutofThyme

OutofThyme Member

Yup, It's the one pro of the dealership business model, I was able to negotiate down which for better and for worse unavailable for Tesla.

13. jsimon7777

jsimon7777 Member

I've only driven a Model 3 once, but I don't miss it.

If you think a Tesla is all that eco friendly, you're buying into a con. Sure, it's better than a Hummer, but it's not going to be better than Prius unless your power is pure renewable and you drive 300k miles.

As claimed by Elon? Snort. I have no doubt that a Model 3 can be made to be very, very fast around a track. I just don't think the current Model 3 performance performance version is going to be all that close. Even if you discount the suspension difference, the Model 3 just doesn't have the high-speed power of an ICE.

It's not like I hated the Model 3. I just wasn't blown away. The Model X and Model S P100Ds are far more impressive vehicles.

• Disagree x 6
  14. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Actually, all my power is renewable through my roof-top PV system. thank you. And I produce more to the grid than I use.

Initially, a BEV does require more energy for battery production through residual sources. But you have your numbers wrong. The BEV reaches energy consumption parity with the ICE car after less than 10K miles. At that point, whether driving a Bummer or a Pius, you are part of the problem not part of the solution.

• Like x 5
  15. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

How is a Tesla not more eco friendly than a Prius? A Prius uses gas, a Tesla uses no gas. And before you try to say that electricity is dirty, it's not. In California more than 70% of our electricity comes from renewable sources. o_O

No one is saying that the Model 3 is better than an X or S. But you have to take into account price. The Model 3 is half the price of the X or S and there's not a single car in the market right now that can compete with the Model 3 on all levels.

16. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

This guy seems to be doing just fine with the LR Model 3. The Performance Model 3 has better breaks, suspensions and speed and should do even better. The only thing an ICE vehicle has on an electric vehicle is potentially top speed, but on a track acceleration is much more important.

17. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

• Like x 3
  18. sreams

sreams Member

That's why I said "if". Let's wait and see what happens. It's pretty much a given that a P3D will be consistently faster around a track than the S/X you prefer, so I guess it comes down to what is important to people.

19. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

Actually, what happened was that you WERE 20 years in the future, but you accelerated so quickly that time started running backwards for you. Now, you're stuck here in early 21st century, sorry about that. At least you have experienced the best technology we have to offer.

• Funny x 1
  20. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

“Terrible design”...nah...Another example of different strokes for different folks.

In my ~two months of ownership I’ve adjusted the vents maybe 2-3 times....1x in the last month (i.e. since I got the placement right). In the same period I’ve adjusted the side mirrors 2 times and 0 times in the last month.

As an aside, in the car the Model 3 replaced, I adjusted the mirrors maybe 2x a year. I probably adjusted the vents much more than that each month trying to get things just right. I find the Model 3 vent implementation awesome....set it and forget it. For some reason, the temperature variability and air flow is just right regardless of the weather outside.

For what it’s worth, I have 4K miles on the car with rides as short as 3 miles and multiple ~280 mile trips.

• Like x 2