Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you quote the part of the review you're referring to? From what I can tell, MT only used mpge and got better highway fuel economy than the EPA rating.

Although our real-world 103.7 combined mpg-e measured by Emissions Analytics (89.7/128.2 city/highway) lags behind the EPA’s official 126 overall, the Tesla still eats its energy at just a quarter of the BMW’s pace.

Their combined rating was lower than the EPA's combined rating because of the relatively low city rating, which is something that I've seen with most Tesla reviews because most reviewers get on the accelerator/brakes way more than someone would on the EPA test.

At 100% depletion (the EPA test does not extend down to the level of discharge, but it is the theoretical max range):
SR = 50kW pack / 270 KWh/mile average cty/hwy = 185 miles max range
LR = 75kW pack / 270 KWh = 278 miles max range

This is what harks back to my reply in post #58. Multiply the above ranges by .6-.7 (which is a real world daily use or supercharger hopping SOC range of 60-70%), and the numbers really start disappointing.

I too am wondering if the consumption/efficiency figures are way off (both the EPA's and MT's), or if I am missing something. Cmon users start posting real world consumption (especially now that energy usage screens have been OTA'd).

The EPA test goes until the car can't go no more. The energy data is on the last page of Tesla's EPA application for the 3.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_HTSLV00.0L13_APPIPT1.PDF

The battery is ~80kWh, with 78+kWh available for use. The car's 5-cycle range is 334 miles, but Tesla voluntarily reduced it to 310 miles combined.

MT getting better highway MPGe numbers, especially with the Sport wheels, I think bodes well for highway range, especially someone who gets the Aero wheels and is content to set the cruise control at or below the speed limit. Most reviews I've seen for Teslas have significantly lower city MPGe ratings, but that's only if you can't keep your foot out of it.

As usual, YR(ange)MV.

The EPA test goes until the car can't go no more. The energy data is on the last page of Tesla's EPA application for the 3.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_HTSLV00.0L13_APPIPT1.PDF

The battery is ~80kWh, with 78+kWh available for use. The car's 5-cycle range is 334 miles, but Tesla voluntarily reduced it to 310 miles combined.

MT getting better highway MPGe numbers, especially with the Sport wheels, I think bodes well for highway range, especially someone who gets the Aero wheels and is content to set the cruise control at or below the speed limit. Most reviews I've seen for Teslas have significantly lower city MPGe ratings, but that's only if you can't keep your foot out of it.

As usual, YR(ange)MV.
Hmm so the manual is inaccurate. That said 75 kWh for the battery. It definitely is a model 3 80.

Last edited:
The EPA test goes until the car can't go no more
Agreed, and basically restating what I was saying (EPA test cycle depletes battery down to where it will no longer complete the test cycle). The pack itself is not empty at this point.

Again getting trying to away from eMPG dyno testing, and back to real world consumption numbers:
1000 mile road/daily driver use test (The Tesla Show podcast #81), confirms MT's consumption of 280 Wh/mile in the real world (LR, 19" wheels, 65-70mph highway). Or about 200-220 mile range for 70-75% depletion depending on environment, driving style, etc.

Myself I will add a conservative 3% for aero wheel use (until real world numbers come in for those).

Update:
I just saw the official EPA number is 295 miles hwy at insideev forum. Not to far off the 75-80kW pack @ 280 Wh/mile max depletion range of ~275-285 miles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree and DR61
I too am wondering if the consumption/efficiency figures are way off (both the EPA's and MT's), or if I am missing something. Cmon users start posting real world consumption (especially now that energy usage screens have been OTA'd).
EinSV - appreciate any thoughtful reasoned input behind your disagree rating, surely this could not just have been a disagree and run.

Adding @kingjamez and @Pkmmte. You can disagree but please state your case. Actual real world numbers are coming in, and in the short run appear to support 260-305 Wh/m real world mixed/hwy consumption.
+ @EinSV:

Even though none of the disagree'ers came back with anything, it looks like they were correct (sort of) :D .

I've been following You-You's epic cross county M3 trip, and using the data he has posted the M3 so far is at 290.8 Wh/m real world real cross country consumption. Mind you it appears his driving style is "spirited".

That's 21 Wh/m worse than the 270Wh/m I based by swag on, so the already lower range numbers I came up with are in actuality even lower. And his numbers are in agreement with the other Wh/m energy meter screenshots we are seeing pop up here and there.

Last edited:
+ @EinSV:

Even though none of the disagree'ers came back with anything, it looks like they were correct (sort of) :D .

I've been following You-You's epic cross county M3 trip, and using the data he has posted the M3 so far is at 290.8 Wh/m real world real cross country consumption. Mind you it appears his driving style is "spirited".

That's 21 Wh/m worse than the 270Wh/m I based by swag on, so the already lower range numbers I came up with are in actuality even lower. And his numbers are in agreement with the other Wh/m energy meter screenshots we are seeing pop up here and there.
I don’t know his route, but it is very cold right now in much of the US. The temperature will certainly effect his effiency. I just drove my ICE vehicle from DC to Michigan and got ~20% worse mileage than last summer on the same route.

I don’t know his route, but it is very cold right now in much of the US. The temperature will certainly effect his effiency. I just drove my ICE vehicle from DC to Michigan and got ~20% worse mileage than last summer on the same route.
Of course. However the portion of the route reported on was Gilroy CA, San Diego Ca, Scottsdale AZ, etc. 60-80F daytime temps, somewhat colder at nights (it's gotten down to the 40's here in socal), but pretty good EV weather.

Be interesting to see the reported consumption driving back east.

Last edited:
+ @EinSV:

Can someone provide a link to this? I've seen several references to it but I don't know where to find it. Thanks in advance.