Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jalopnik lists problems of his road trip so far.

1. Air bag light. 2. Tire pressure sensor. 3. Charging lid. 4. Wipers knock. 5. Music system noises. 6. Service response malfunction. 7. Loud pop in back and warning light. 8. 12v plug not working. 9. Low quality wiper blades leaving strikes. 10. Time zone recognition. 11. Mistakes in charging rates calculation. And low quality “upgraded” music system.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-...ium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Jalopnik_twitter

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Tesla Model 3 Road Trip

"Autopilot will be disabled until you put the car into park again if you step on the accelerator and exceed the Autopilot software speed limit."

Is this how it works on the S/X?

What might be the rationale for this? Seems unnecessary/annoying.

(If I'm not mistaken, the AP2 software speed limit is 90mph on highways, but on other roads it's only 5mph over the posted speed limit, correct?)

We Hitched A Ride With The Tesla Model 3 Road Trip
I met up with the Tesla Model 3 Road Trip and drove their car. I wrote about how that went for InsideEVs.

20171227_145109.jpg

My mini review. Received my Model 3 this afternoon in Marina Del Rey. I have 85 miles on it. Mind you that I have been driving a $95,000 Model S the last 5 years. Model 3 beats the Model S on handling hands down. In the corners this car sticks like glue! Model 3 interior makes the Model S look like so old battleship. But, the Model S is smoother riding even with coil springs on the S. The Model S seats are better for sure. The Model S motor is silent whereas the Model 3 does make some low level noise. The noise is subtle, it is just that the S motor makes zero sound at all. At Marina Del Rey, the lot was full of lots of 3's and S's. The Model 3 looks great, but the S is frickin' bitchin'. My plan? Sell my 2013 Model S, drive the 3 for awhile and if/when a refreshed becomes available with a clean interior like the Model 3, I'll sell the Model 3 and get a new Model S.

When I remind myself that the Model 3 is a $35,000 to $50,000 car, nothing, I mean nothing touches this car. It is AMAZING!!! Once these are available for test drives, it's going to have a wait list of not 400,000 but 1,000,000. Every last Lexus, BMW, Toyota,.....etc...etc... is a dinosaur compared to the Model 3. This car will turn the world upside down.

But, the Model S is smoother riding even with coil springs on the S. ..............My plan? Sell my 2013 Model S, drive the 3 for awhile and if/when a refreshed becomes available with a clean interior like the Model 3, I'll sell the Model 3 and get a new Model S........................... It is AMAZING!!! Once these are available for test drives, it's going to have a wait list of not 400,000 but 1,000,000. Every last Lexus, BMW, Toyota,.....etc...etc... is a dinosaur compared to the Model 3. This car will turn the world upside down.
Thanks, @gene very interesting. I love these 'man on the street' kind of reviews by previous owners. Does your new model 3 have 18" or 19" wheels? I wonder if the stiff ride some people are reporting is a function of the wheel size.

i think Elon realizes that once people can drive a model 3, the floodgates will open and MS/X sales will suffer. Consequently, in my opinion, a refresh of the MS/X with the model 3 type interior (but with an integrated U.I. screen and HUD) and 400+ mile range is just around the corner, probably by summer. That scenario might even entice me! These are truly exciting times! We are not only witnessing history, but participating in it, warts and all!

Last edited:
Thanks, @gene very interesting. I love these 'man on the street' kind of reviews by previous owners. Does your new model 3 have 18" or 19" wheels? I wonder if the stiff ride some people are reporting is a function of the wheel size.

i think Elon realizes that once people can drive a model 3, the floodgates will open and MS/X sales will suffer. Consequently, in my opinion, a refresh of the MS/X with the model 3 type interior (but with an integrated U.I. screen and HUD) and 400+ mile range is just around the corner, probably by summer. That scenario might even entice me! These are truly exciting times! We are not only witnessing history, but participating in it, warts and all!
I agree. And it will be the "Oh, by the way" part of the Model Y reveal.

Jalopnik lists problems of his road trip so far.

1. Air bag light. 2. Tire pressure sensor. 3. Charging lid. 4. Wipers knock. 5. Music system noises. 6. Service response malfunction. 7. Loud pop in back and warning light. 8. 12v plug not working. 9. Low quality wiper blades leaving strikes. 10. Time zone recognition. 11. Mistakes in charging rates calculation. And low quality “upgraded” music system.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-...ium=sharefromsite&utm_source=Jalopnik_twitter

To be fair, he also posts this assessment of his Model 3:

model3.png

I have the 18” wheels. Experience has taught me that coil springs will soften up a bit with time. I don’t think there is much osborne effect of the 3 on the S. The S does look way better and the S feels more luxury like by a fair margin. I laid awake last night and pretty much decided I’ll sell my FLAWLESS 2013 Model s with 20k miles left on 100k warranty. It is dolphin grey S85. I’ll keep this Model 3 until a refresh Model S comes and then buy a new S.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like exactly what we want.
Now there will be at least one Model 3 in Santa Barbara to look out for, since I have yet to see one.
What color should I look for?

My mini review. Received my Model 3 this afternoon in Marina Del Rey. I have 85 miles on it. Mind you that I have been driving a $95,000 Model S the last 5 years. Model 3 beats the Model S on handling hands down. In the corners this car sticks like glue! Model 3 interior makes the Model S look like so old battleship.
When I remind myself that the Model 3 is a $35,000 to $50,000 car, nothing, I mean nothing touches this car. It is AMAZING!!! Once these are available for test drives, it's going to have a wait list of not 400,000 but 1,000,000. Every last Lexus, BMW, Toyota,.....etc...etc... is a dinosaur compared to the Model 3. This car will turn the world upside down.

Picked up wife's M3 yesterday at Marina del Rey. Here are our initial impressions/opinions:

Vs. Delivery Experience Expectations
Way better

Vs. Low-VIN Fit & Finish Expectations
Way better

Vs. Model S (Mid-2015 85D)
Exterior = Draw ... and that's good! (Agree that it looks way better in flesh than in photos)
Fit & Finish = Draw ... and that's good! (vs. VIN 86xxx)
Door handles = Simpler, thus better (in light of my recent MS door-handle failure)

Phone-key approach = Better ... but one must figure out system to remember phone (and house key!)
Wallet card key = Flat-out cool
Hope these come to MS/X soon

Interior = Even cleaner ... like it!
Forward visibility = Way better ... mind-boggling
Seating position = Better (can position wheel without blocking speedo)
Seat Comfort = Draw (with Next-Gen)
Air Vent system = Way better
Seat Heat = Faster

Screen Position = Higher, closer, ability to stabilize finger by grabbing display = Better
Screen Angle = Worse ... needs to be angled at least slightly towards driver
Nav interface = Way better (coming to MS/X soon!) ... smooth zoom & fast draw = unbelievable
Single Screen vs. Dual = Worse ... especially with everything having been moved onto screen
Requires more interface element juggling
Requires even interface element scrolling (such as with trip odos)
Shrinks map ... and covers it up more
Perhaps worth it, though, to free up wheel position, improve visibility (for short driver)

Acceleration = Less ... but plenty good
Canyon/Mountain Handling = Better
Steering Feel = Slightly firmer (M3 "Sport" vs. MS "Sport")
Braking Feel = Slightly softer/spongier (should be tightened up)
Throttle Response = Slightly touchier
Regen = Similar
AP2 = On par with AP1 ... but seems "naggier" and to require stronger "holds"

Motor noise = Quieter ... often inaudible (as expected, coming from AWD --> RWD)
Ride quality = Slightly worse (but still surprisingly good)
Road/axle noise = Much worse (only thing that seemed like cheap rental car)

Early-Days Missing in Actions: Auto-dim headlights, scheduled charging, easy entry

BOTTOM LINE
A Tesla tour de force.

Every bit as much of a "beatdown" to the ICE at the entry-luxury price point as Models S/X were at the luxury level (OK, perhaps less luxury than ICE but more of everything else) and as the Roadster was, and Roadster 2020 will be, at the supercar level. Game over.

Personally, I'm astonished what Tesla has done at roughly half the cost of a Model S ($35K base vs. $70K, $60K (presumed) LR/PUP/EAP AWD vs. $110K well-equipped 100D).

As someone who plans to upgrade MS 85D range before tax credit begins phase-out (the new M3 is my wife's), I'm now very much on the fence between 100D (with hoped-for refresh) or activating my second M3 invite when AWD becomes available. There's much I still prefer about MS. However, smaller-car canyon carving beckons. As does the prospect of being able to sell a three-year old MS to purchase a brand new M3 (almost) all-cash.

Very eager to hear what other early adopters think of the Model 3!

Thanks for the review. Sounds like exactly what we want.
Now there will be at least one Model 3 in Santa Barbara to look out for, since I have yet to see one.
What color should I look for?
It is white. I will be at the El Capitan State Park exit, meeting someone to hand off some merchandise at exactly 4 pm today. Just in case you want to see it.