Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came across some great YouTube videos, and wanted to pass them along. They are by "Now You Know". Here is a list of their Model 3 to date:

6 Awesome Supercharging! - 12 days of Model 3!
7 Crazy Acceleration - 12 days of Model 3!
8 Tons of Storage! - 12 days of Model 3!
9 LED Lights - 12 days of Model 3!
10 Big Screen Navigation - 12 days of Model 3!
11 Model 3 Pumpin Sound System - 12 days of Model 3!
12 Lots of Little Goodies - 12 days of Model 3!

Snow How the Tesla Model 3 Handles in the Snow (All Weather Tires)

Note to moderators: if you find a more appropriate place for this post, by all means, you can move it, and thank you very much.

Reactions: Snow Drift
No love lost between Jalopnik and Tesla but I thought the review was pretty fair.

More interesting to me was the linked tweet to someone who reported that the Model 3 was absolutely abysmal in cold NYC temps over the weekend... that guy claimed he got the cabin down to 20 degrees. Geez.

Yes, referring to that tweet as,

"We didn’t test the car’s supposedly “frigid” in-cabin temps in cold weather, as another independent tester suffered through this weekend"

without any context as to why Alex Roy did not use the heat in his car, was the only thing that seemed a bit over the top in the review.

The video with the review, I'd say was fair. The writeup, was okay, but to my view, it took some effort to downplay the acceleration ("competent"), handling, and overall sense of the car ("sterile", "tool rather than toy") as much as the author did. Of course, I don't doubt that there will also be some writeups that show some effort to downplay limitations of the car.

Reactions: kbecks13
No love lost between Jalopnik and Tesla but I thought the review was pretty fair.

More interesting to me was the linked tweet to someone who reported that the Model 3 was absolutely abysmal in cold NYC temps over the weekend... that guy claimed he got the cabin down to 20 degrees. Geez.

It's because Roy was completing the fastest EV cannonball run, and needed every bit of juice.

Tesla Model 3 driven from LA to New York in 50 hours

You have been writing about Tesla for 10 years but never drive one until now? Wow! I’d think that driving one would have been part of your research before even writing articles about them.

If I lived in California, or in just about any other city in Florida, I would have. Certainly I worked with Tesla to try to get one to me on several occasions. Unlike many of my colleagues, I can't even get media cars from the traditional OEMs from fleet services.

When an opportunity presents itself, I try to take it, though. For instance, when Nissan was bringing its LEAF around the country, I drove several hundred miles on my own time and dime to take a 5-minute test ride.

Lucky for me, this story has helped me meet Tesla owners in town, and I've been offered driving sessions in a couple different Model S's.

Nice writeup Domenick.

Can you list some issues that you think that are important enough?

The following is a compilation of observations not in my published review, that I posted on a different forum.

While it's relatively fresh in my mind, I should probably mention a couple things about its ergonomics.

As I mention in the piece, the front seat was quite comfortable for me. It was adjustable in every direction. Add to that, the steering tilted and telescoped, making it pretty easily to achieve the "perfect position." Plenty of head and leg room up front. The armrest was right where it should be and soft. Forward visibility was great. Rearward visibility is slightly hampered by the high deck, but being tall, it wasn't an issue.

The rear seats were a less coddling, of course. The center seat position, which is often more firm than the two rear positions, was acceptable, though. It had a glass roof, and as I remark in the piece under the photo of my ugly mug, there was plenty of headroom.

Now, I've heard people mention the floor in the rear being higher than normal, and that's probably true, but I only came to mind because I had read that comment. It seemed quite tolerable to me.

One thing I didn't like was the egress from the front. Though I would probably adjust quickly if I owned one, the door sills are a little high. Ingress, I thought, was better than the Model S, and way better than the Chevy Sonic I rented last summer.

The problems I had personally stemmed from not knowing the controls, and some controls working differently than in other cars I've driven. As I mentioned in the post, I couldn't figure out the windshield wipers on the fly. It wasn't raining too hard, so I just kept pushing the button on the end of the turn signal. (and while I do like the screen, I think all wiper functions should be controlled by a switch, or maybe even have the end of the turn signal stalk twist for various speeds.)

Also, turn signals. Say you're turning left, usually one just pushes down on the stalk and it stays until the wheel straightens and (hopefully) it turns itself off. In the 3 a push down (or up) gives you 3 blinks and stops. I ended up just holding it down until I wanted it to stop, though I'm not certain that was really working. I was too busy looking around to look down to see if the signal indicator was flashing.

Also, as I mentioned in the piece, the self parking mode wasn't great at detecting spots wider than a single car. I didn't try to parallel park, and I wonder how that would work. This is something I imagine will be improved via software, maybe by leaning on the cameras along with the ultrasonic sensors.

Though it wasn't a problem for me, I did use the autopilot. I knew how to turn that on. It seemed to work fine. One interesting thing -- it knew the speed limit there is 45 mph and had a little 45 mpg speed limit sign on the screen. I was doing 48 mph, but when I tapped the sign, the car slowed down to the limit. I thought that was pretty cool.

What I was really curious about regarding autopilot was the effort needed to tell the car I wanted control. I know there's a simple way of turning it off, but I gave the wheel a good tug to the left to do it. I was surprised at the amount of resistance it had. Auto pilot is stronk! I really wish I had more time to play with it.

Oh! Just remembered another issue. After Supercharging, the cost given by the car and on his account were different, and from what I understand, this is an ongoing issue with this car (and possibly all of them). The car told him the charge was $8.71, while the website said $9.10.

By the way, according to the car, at least, Supercharging in Tallahassee is $0.14/kWh. I believe the rate at my house is $0.10522 per kWh, plus monthly $7.59 for single phase, $26.56 for three phase.

If I lived in California, or in just about any other city in Florida, I would have. Certainly I worked with Tesla to try to get one to me on several occasions. Unlike many of my colleagues, I can't even get media cars from the traditional OEMs from fleet services.

When an opportunity presents itself, I try to take it, though. For instance, when Nissan was bringing its LEAF around the country, I drove several hundred miles on my own time and dime to take a 5-minute test ride.

Lucky for me, this story has helped me meet Tesla owners in town, and I've been offered driving sessions in a couple different Model S's.

I live in Michigan and had to go out of state for a test drive. When I was on vacation in Florida, I went to a sales center in Orlando. Definitely worth trying out. Glad you were able to experience it now.

Reactions: domenick
The following is a compilation of observations not in my published review, that I posted on a different forum.

While it's relatively fresh in my mind, I should probably mention a couple things about its ergonomics.

As I mention in the piece, the front seat was quite comfortable for me. It was adjustable in every direction. Add to that, the steering tilted and telescoped, making it pretty easily to achieve the "perfect position." Plenty of head and leg room up front. The armrest was right where it should be and soft. Forward visibility was great. Rearward visibility is slightly hampered by the high deck, but being tall, it wasn't an issue.

The rear seats were a less coddling, of course. The center seat position, which is often more firm than the two rear positions, was acceptable, though. It had a glass roof, and as I remark in the piece under the photo of my ugly mug, there was plenty of headroom.

Now, I've heard people mention the floor in the rear being higher than normal, and that's probably true, but I only came to mind because I had read that comment. It seemed quite tolerable to me.

One thing I didn't like was the egress from the front. Though I would probably adjust quickly if I owned one, the door sills are a little high. Ingress, I thought, was better than the Model S, and way better than the Chevy Sonic I rented last summer.

The problems I had personally stemmed from not knowing the controls, and some controls working differently than in other cars I've driven. As I mentioned in the post, I couldn't figure out the windshield wipers on the fly. It wasn't raining too hard, so I just kept pushing the button on the end of the turn signal. (and while I do like the screen, I think all wiper functions should be controlled by a switch, or maybe even have the end of the turn signal stalk twist for various speeds.)

Also, turn signals. Say you're turning left, usually one just pushes down on the stalk and it stays until the wheel straightens and (hopefully) it turns itself off. In the 3 a push down (or up) gives you 3 blinks and stops. I ended up just holding it down until I wanted it to stop, though I'm not certain that was really working. I was too busy looking around to look down to see if the signal indicator was flashing.

Also, as I mentioned in the piece, the self parking mode wasn't great at detecting spots wider than a single car. I didn't try to parallel park, and I wonder how that would work. This is something I imagine will be improved via software, maybe by leaning on the cameras along with the ultrasonic sensors.

Though it wasn't a problem for me, I did use the autopilot. I knew how to turn that on. It seemed to work fine. One interesting thing -- it knew the speed limit there is 45 mph and had a little 45 mpg speed limit sign on the screen. I was doing 48 mph, but when I tapped the sign, the car slowed down to the limit. I thought that was pretty cool.

What I was really curious about regarding autopilot was the effort needed to tell the car I wanted control. I know there's a simple way of turning it off, but I gave the wheel a good tug to the left to do it. I was surprised at the amount of resistance it had. Auto pilot is stronk! I really wish I had more time to play with it.

Oh! Just remembered another issue. After Supercharging, the cost given by the car and on his account were different, and from what I understand, this is an ongoing issue with this car (and possibly all of them). The car told him the charge was $8.71, while the website said $9.10.

By the way, according to the car, at least, Supercharging in Tallahassee is $0.14/kWh. I believe the rate at my house is $0.10522 per kWh, plus monthly $7.59 for single phase, $26.56 for three phase.
The wiper control should become more or less a non-issue once the auto wiper function is added to the software like the S/X just currently had added.

The turn signal is like what BMW/Mini currently uses. Yes, it is a little weird at first, but you get used to it. Just need to give the stalk a bit more intentional up or down movement and that will signal and keep it on. It will turn off after turn is completed or given slight nudge in the opposite direction. Just slightly pushing it up or down will just do the 3 flash signal. With the 3 geared to autonomous driving, they couldn't use a physical detent in the stalk like most other cars use. It needs to be all software driven and not requiring a physical switch.

The wiper control should become more or less a non-issue once the auto wiper function is added to the software like the S/X just currently had added.

Picked up my Model 3 tonight (VIN 157X)! They updated the software earlier today, so thankfully the auto wipers were ready for my rainy drive home in the dark. They worked great: sped up when the rain was heavier, and slowed down when it was lighter. For being in beta they worked great!

The turn signal is like what BMW/Mini currently uses. Yes, it is a little weird at first, but you get used to it. Just need to give the stalk a bit more intentional up or down movement and that will signal and keep it on. It will turn off after turn is completed or given slight nudge in the opposite direction. Just slightly pushing it up or down will just do the 3 flash signal. With the 3 geared to autonomous driving, they couldn't use a physical detent in the stalk like most other cars use. It needs to be all software driven and not requiring a physical switch.

Thanks for that!

You You arrived at the Toronto SuC at 3am (EST) this morning. There must have been a couple dozen people waiting for him at that undogly hour. Temperature was -22F. He said that in these conditions his range had been reduced by 40/45%. Today he swings down back to the US in Michigan. He is a resident in San Francisco and already owns an MS. He needs to be back in SF by January 13. He said that "thousands" have sat in his car on this trip and so far around 300 he have opted for a test drive. He expects that by the time he gets back to SF around 500 will have gone for a test drive. Although he has had a couple of minor problems, he understands this is a new build (he took possession on 12/23/17) and he had expected this. He did have to stop and switch out his 19" Sportwheels for new rims with snow tires. In total, he seemed very pleased with his car.

Interesting stuff!

I don't think it is an issue. According to the Model 3 owner's manual the price on the screen is only "an estimate of how much the session will cost" (page 111).

It is possible that the difference is due to State/Local taxes/charges not being known by the car's screen, but the final bill is processed by some system which can calculate the correct tax, which is why the price is higher. My home electric bill has taxes and charges in additional to the actual KWH used.

I don't think it is an issue. According to the Model 3 owner's manual the price on the screen is only "an estimate of how much the session will cost" (page 111).

It is possible that the difference is due to State/Local taxes/charges not being known by the car's screen, but the final bill is processed by some system which can calculate the correct tax, which is why the price is higher. My home electric bill has taxes and charges in additional to the actual KWH used.
No, it's pretty accurate. I checked my credit card transactions and it matched to the penny. By the way, from Orange County to Sedona with some side trips (1200 miles total), Supercharging bill was around $36.

Alex Roy Review after the Cannonball Run:
Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review
Good honest review. I'd love to see Elon do something about the A/P interface, I can see Roy's point.
Here's what Tesla must do to solve the Model 3's Autopilot UI problems:
  1. Move the cruise follow distance control to the left scroll button on the steering wheel;
  2. Move the cruise speed control to the right scroll button of the steering wheel;
  3. Double the size of the situational awareness display on the touchscreen;
  4. Double the size of the hands-off warning on the touchscreen;
  5. Make the first hands-off alert audible;
  6. Double the volume of hands-off warnings.