TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Qualchan, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 9erDog

9erDog Member

True but the iPhone isn’t for everyone. Some like Android and others like older style phones and flip phones.

2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

The functions that you use frequently while driving :

- AP Controls to enable/disable
    - AP controls to increase/decrease speed (stupid, dumb, idiotic idea to put it in the screen)
    - Volume controls
    - Temp controls
    - Radio controls
    - Air/fan controls
    - Wiper controls (another stupid idea to put that in the screen, even with auto-wipers)

All other functions are one time or infrequent events: mirror adjustment, etc..

3. 9erDog

9erDog Member

Agreed. After all it was CNN reviewing here and they do short segments without much detail in these areas. Their strong suit is in the political and general news areas not automotive.

4. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

That Edmunds video review was pretty good too and he also complained about

- AP and wiper controls in the screen
    - more noise and vibration on rough roads

Other than that he liked everything about the M3 so much he is going to keep the 2nd reservation and get one for himself.

• Like x 1
  5. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

He was actually quite vocal in general about having to look away from the road constantly due to everything being on the screen (such as speedo), and that some things that you should be able to do easily while driving you can't do safely (i.e. adjust steering wheel, mirrors, etc.).

• Like x 1
  6. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

Eh.... I've had cars that take as much if not more effort/attention to adjust the steering/mirrors as the 3 appears to require. Granted, there are cars that make it easier, but it's one of those things that IMO should be done when stopped.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  7. kbM3

kbM3 Member

AP speed control change becomes less important over time as AP improves.
    Also, if you have auto wipers, why is it critical to be able to change the wipers?

With automatic climate control, I almost never find the need to change the temperature were fan speed.

• Like x 1
  8. sweter

sweter Member

You should do that BEFORE driving, not while driving.

9. ElecFan

ElecFan Member

AP speed control changes via the screen have been dealt with in another post. It should be easy to change the control by using the buttons at the steering wheel to control the speed and following distance. It's an easy way to improve safety through software changes.

Changing the wiper control is more difficult but I think something should be done. The controls are low on the screen and you typically use it in bad weather conditions where all attention should be directed towards the traffic. It is THE most vital part then and you wouldn't want to have to take your eyes off the road when in a downpour of rain and for some reason auto wipers are not working properly. I really think this is a design flaw which could lead to accidents. I hope Tesla changes this soon, before anyone gets hurt.

10. GregRF

GregRF Squirrel Power

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  11. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

There, I fixed that for you.

The functions that you use frequently are not necessarily what I use frequently. For example, the wiper controls on my current car are on a single stock that controls front wiper, rear wiper, speed front wiper, speed rear wiper, intermittent front wiper, intermittent rear wiper, windshield washer front wiper, windshield washer rear wiper, and dog knows what else in a font that is about 1/16" high. Now that is a stupid idea! I much prefer controlling those functions through the U.I.

I do believe that the scroll wheels will be given more functionality in the future through firmware updates, BUT I will have to select the correct menu from the U.I.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  12. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

#152 ölbrenner, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    I shouldn't look at the speedo while driving? No wonder they placed it where they did o_O .

Seriously, it's pretty common to fine tune seating and subsequently mirror repositioning while driving. Maybe not in the UK, but here where we have to drive 3-4 days to get across the country I do at least.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

he meant adjusting mirrors and steering wheel....

14. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

I know, that's what the emoticon was for.

15. kbM3

kbM3 Member

• Like x 1
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You know... in Driver's Ed. they tell you to do that before starting the car...

• Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Sparky

Sparky Member

Thanks for posting.
    BMW 2002 reference is kind of true. I
    conic sports sedan for the masses.
    Minimalist.
    Road tuned, fun.

• Like x 1
  18. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member