TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Qualchan, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

RiggerJon confirmed the frunk lid and door panels are aluminum and that the front fenders, rear quarter panels and trunk lid are steel.
    Front and rear sub frames are steel with a mix of steel and aluminum in the suspension components.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

Exactly, and exactly why the article is incorrect. It's not all steel and no aluminum, its a blend.

• Like x 1
  3. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

CNBC - today:

• Helpful x 1
  4. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  5. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

• Like x 3
  6. kwest2

kwest2 Member

• Informative x 1
  7. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

8. Frubbish

Frubbish Member

We had ridden in a few Model 3s at a couple of the recent Tesla events, but now have finally had the opportunity to get behind the wheel. What an amazing vehicle. And I own a Model S... I shouldn't be Jealous, right? Anyway, hope you enjoy.

Russel

• Like x 2
  9. ölbrenner

ölbrenner Member

The funnest review I have seen so far, and very fair as well imo (they even enjoyed the ride quality, but fairly point out the minor but numerous flaws that I have also noticed):

• Like x 1
  10. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I couldn't make heads or tails out of what he was saying until I turned the auto-translate to Albanian, and then it started to make sense.

• Funny x 3
  11. roblab

roblab Active Member

"Pyked" instead of "Peeked" for Piqued? "Tezzla"? Where is this guy from? Some kind of accent. German? Hmmmm. So far I've never had problems with the screen, the trunk, cruise, wiper speed (put it on auto), and as I recall, the "autopilot" is still in beta. Yep, you're supposed to hold on and watch out the window. And I've yet to supercharge it, so in my opinion, you can stray from it. I have 300 miles of charge every morning if I want, but never used it yet, so what's the big worry over supercharging?? And I bought mine before I'd taken one on a test drive, never having seen this video. I'd suggest anyone else do the same.

• Like x 1
  12. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

That caught my attention too.

13. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I agree, what is so irritating is that 95% of these reviews - video and written and magazine - are by guys who have no idea how the car works. It is obviously their first time in the car and they didn't bother to do their homework. They are ICE guys and don't understand the EV concept. They tap down ONCE on the stalk and say, "the auto pilot isn't working. Back to the service center, Elon needs to get his quality control right." Like finger nails on a chalk board. It all started with the OCD guy. I've stopped watching these reviews. The best reviews have been on this TMC forum by people who already owned a Tesla and they get it. Although comparisons to the MS/X aren't always helpful, they at least understand the EV concept and charging.

14. 22522

22522 Active Member

"Spiked"

15. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

I thought this was a pretty thorough and very fair review. Pluses noted, and minuses, too. What more would you like from a review?
    Robin

16. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Most of his 'minuses' were flat out wrong or inaccurate. What I would like is a professional review by someone who had done his homework in advance.

• Like x 1
  17. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

Which minuses did you find to be wrong?
    Robin

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I agree.

I have not been following this thread very closely. Can you recommend a review(s) that you feel is accurate and well informed? The few Model 3 video reviews I have seen have contained many errors based on what I know about the car.

I welcome informed criticism of the car. It’s new and of course its not perfect. But when a “reviewer” repeatedly makes obviously incorrect statements with great authority it is very irritating.

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This reviewer got a lot of things wrong about AP and FSDC (he did not qualify his statements by describing what the car can do now vs. what Tesla says it will be able to do in the future, he conflated the two) but overall his comments were mostly accurate. How he got a 4.4 sec 0-60 time on Vbox (twice) I don’t know, but that’s what he got.

20. T34ME

T34ME Active Member