Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 from US to EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know the issues and limitations of charging (or supercharging) a Tesla Model 3 manufactured in US but driving in EU? The question is coming up because I will be moving next year 2019 from California to Germany. Tesla customer care recommend me not to ship the car to EU even if they didn't propose alternative solutions. For example I found adapters online from US plug to Type 2. Here is the link for a heavy duty (63A) device US Tesla to Type 2 Charging cable adapter - evChargeking
and for a standard 32A US Tesla to Type 2 Charging cable adapter - evChargeking

Please let me know if you have some hints or feedback about the recharging

The other aspect of compatibility is the internet connection with the local phone carriers. I have been told that they are not compatible with the US system, and maybe this issue can be easily solved changing a SIM card in the computer??

How fun would it be to have a Model 3 in Germany right now. I would totally do it.

The i8 looks like its giving birth to a 911. Who wants that hot garbage.

aBKqR1D_700b.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
From when You You took his Model 3 to the EU:
  • No Supercharging
  • No Tesla support (warranty, maintenance, etc.)
  • No Internet connectivity
  • No software updates. (This might have changed now that WiFi is available on the Model 3.)
  • Slow level 2 charging.
  • No Nav (wrong maps.)
His ended up totaled and I never heard if he decided to bring it back to the US or just junk it there. (He had no collision insurance because he couldn't find a provider that would insure him.)

• No Supercharging
  • No software updates. (This might have changed now that WiFi is available on the Model 3.)
  • Slow level 2 charging.
  • No Nav (wrong maps.)
His ended up totaled and I never heard if he decided to bring it back to the US or just junk it there. (He had no collision insurance because he couldn't find a provider that would insure him.)

You can use VPN for internet connectivity back to the states so I am sure that would address the software updates.

No supercharger would be killer, but no reason OP can't get 48AMPs at his residence?

• No Supercharging
  • Slow level 2 charging.
  • No Nav (wrong maps.)
Add the No 3-Phase AC charging.

No, please don't do it. Keep the US Model 3 in the US and get a EU Model 3.

Add the No 3-Phase AC charging.

No, please don't do it. Keep the US Model 3 in the US and get a EU Model 3.
Keep the m3 here and bet a bmw i8 there. then you have the best of both worlds. :)
That is not a solution to my problem. It's like if you go to the grocery store and want's to buy red apples and someone says no you cannot, buy the green ones. I want the red ones not the green!

I'm sure cost is above market rate. The most practical route of course is to sell the 3 and get an S over in Germany but I live a little dangerous..
This doesn't change the original problem, because I believe these Tesla Model 3 are not manufactured for the European Market but just imported from US. They haven't started any production yet in Europe, maybe this will be on 2019

Internet connectivity might not be a problem when Model 3 launches in Europe and they work out whatever they need to work out with 4G providers. AFAIK US Model S/X have no such problems in Europe. By the time you move this might not be an issue.

But using Supercharging will probably remain an issue. Model S/X from US can supercharge using some adapters, but these adapters don't seem to work on Model 3. But there are a lot of other charging stations in Europe, so this might not be an issue, just a little less convenient.

Is it not possible to use the iPhone as a WiFi Hotspot? That should provide internet connectivity to the Tesla computer, right?

Yes, but only for some things: Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
No. Over-the-air software updates may be downloaded over Wi-Fi networks, including mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier. However, other Premium Connectivity features like satellite view maps and streaming media are currently not available over Wi-Fi.

Does anybody know the issues and limitations of charging (or supercharging) a Tesla Model 3 manufactured in US but driving in EU? The question is coming up because I will be moving next year 2019 from California to Germany. Tesla customer care recommend me not to ship the car to EU even if they didn't propose alternative solutions. For example I found adapters online from US plug to Type 2. Here is the link for a heavy duty (63A) device US Tesla to Type 2 Charging cable adapter - evChargeking
and for a standard 32A US Tesla to Type 2 Charging cable adapter - evChargeking

Please let me know if you have some hints or feedback about the recharging

The other aspect of compatibility is the internet connection with the local phone carriers. I have been told that they are not compatible with the US system, and maybe this issue can be easily solved changing a SIM card in the computer??

There is one option to supercharge US Tesla in Europe
Only issue on video, is that car locked (no green indicator), will do another video in 1 month.
Here is from friend car...