Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Front Sensor False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, looking for some advice as to whether this is ‘normal’ or I have a faulty sensor.

I’ve just picked up a new Tesla Model 3 and while driving at slow speeds the front sensor occasionally says there is an object in front, even if the car in front is several car lengths away. It was stating for example for a split second something is 7 inches, 21 inches away etc. I’ve even had it randomly stay ‘STOP’. When I’ve been a good couple of car lengths away from anyone. Each of these warnings/sensor readings only appear for a couple of seconds at a time.

It doesn’t happen all the time and is quite intermittent but considering I’ve only has the car 1 day and I’ve seen it a few times I am a little concerned. Anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

Hi all, looking for some advice as to whether this is ‘normal’ or I have a faulty sensor.

I’ve just picked up a new Tesla Model 3 and while driving at slow speeds the front sensor occasionally says there is an object in front, even if the car in front is several car lengths away. It was stating for example for a split second something is 7 inches, 21 inches away etc. I’ve even had it randomly stay ‘STOP’. When I’ve been a good couple of car lengths away from anyone. Each of these warnings/sensor readings only appear for a couple of seconds at a time.

It doesn’t happen all the time and is quite intermittent but considering I’ve only has the car 1 day and I’ve seen it a few times I am a little concerned. Anyone else experienced this? Any advice?
There are number of things you can do before requesting a service request:
- Check the default position of the forward collision warning- if you go to car settings then I think autopilot- Forward collision warning set medium - check for the obstruction alert - set it how you want it. Also toggle on Joe mode stops unnecessary chimes and warnings.
- Try and reset the car by pressing both the scroll wheels wait for the Tesla logo to appear, this may reset anything faulty as this is a brand new car.
- Have you checked the cameras and sensors - for any dust or something blocking vision - you usually get a message
- Check the software version - if needed update please update to the newer one
- Have you completed the camera caliberation - if I remember I think they automatically do the caliberation once you set off on roads with clear markings - check Tesla website

if I remember I think they automatically do the caliberation once you set off on roads with clear markings

Yes they should calibrate within a short time after collection. Motorway better for this than local roads. Should be fine for anyone who collected and had some dual carriageway on the way home, but anyone who had a home delivery might not have had the "dual carriageway calibration opportunity"

Mine ping for high kerbs at junctions and sometimes creeping along in a traffic queue. I have a hunch that other cars' parking sensors (which often engage at low speed) are sometimes causing mine to give a false alert but I don't get anything like yours, it's just the odd ping.

Think you should raise a service ticket for it, doesn't sound right.

As above, but I've also noticed that when the sensor is triggered does not necessarily coincide with an actual event - eg, I have been close to the car in front in a queue (more than a safe distance) but not had any significant warning (other than amber etc) until the car in front has actually started pulling away. tbh, on none of these occasions was there any need to trigger a stop or red warning.

Any progress? Did it resolve?

So today I cleaned off the front sensors and checked my settings. Nothing out of the ordinary and the sensors appeared to be fine, but still, gave them all a wipe. I then did several trips throughout the day (2 hours driving) and I haven’t experienced the issue since.

To be honest, I think it’s partly to do with on collection day/yesterday, the weather was atrocious. Maybe that was screwing with the sensors a little bit? I mean, yes, they still shouldn’t be saying something is 7 inches away from the car when it clearly isn’t, but in clear weather it’s been fine.

I will continue to monitor I guess!

Reactions: spdpsba