Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 hubcaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jojo fan

Dec 30, 2018
CA
We have a rear-drive tesla 3 with 18-inch wheels.The hubcap wheel disappeared after a heavy rain.
I checked the official store of tesla, and neither the store nor other stores sell this hubcap separately. They are all sold together with wheels and tires.
I have a few questions here:
1. Tesla said that the hubcap can effectively reduce the wind resistance by 5%-10%. Since I have been equipped with the hubcap, it is not obvious.It feels a little strange not to have hubcap these days.
2. I can see that there is no hubcap on the 19-inch wheel, and there seems to be a 20-inch performance version. Why?
3. If this hubcap works, why not put one on all the wheels?19 & 20 inches
Thank you very much for answering my question!
wheel.jpg

We have a rear-drive tesla 3 with 18-inch wheels.The hubcap wheel disappeared after a heavy rain.
I checked the official store of tesla, and neither the store nor other stores sell this hubcap separately. They are all sold together with wheels and tires.
I have a few questions here:
1. Tesla said that the hubcap can effectively reduce the wind resistance by 5%-10%. Since I have been equipped with the hubcap, it is not obvious.It feels a little strange not to have hubcap these days.
2. I can see that there is no hubcap on the 19-inch wheel, and there seems to be a 20-inch performance version. Why?
3. If this hubcap works, why not put one on all the wheels?19 & 20 inches
Thank you very much for answering my question!View attachment 397287

I, for one, am willing to swap some range for better appearance. The aero caps aren’t visually appealing to me.

You've gotten the info on how to order them.
You also may want to think about ordering the Aero hub caps. They cover the big black hub hole and also have lug nut covers for $50.

You can quickly switch between the aero covers and aero caps for trips where you need the extra range. And in your particular case, there are times when I have the aero covers on one side and the aero caps on the other, just to show the difference.

Clean the wheel, add the aero caps and the wheels look pretty good, especially for around town, where you don't care about the range.

They are ugly as sin, probably on purpose to upsell wheels to people who don't know there's gorgeous sport wheels hiding behind them.

18 inch means more sidewall and thus better ride. I'm quite happy with it. Now just need to buy the center caps...
According to most who have actually tried both, the 19" wheel/tire combo actually has a better ride quality possibly due to the lower pressure of the larger tires/wheels.

1. The rims under the hubcaps do look really good. You just need to clean them up and put the wheel cap kit from Tesla. I feel the range benefit is only if you drive at highway speeds a lot. I drive mostly lower speeds in town so that is why I have them off. On road trips, I put them back on. There is a side effect though. There are some rubbing involved between the caps and the rims causes damages to both. I believe it is caused by high speed driving 90+ mph.

2. I doesn't look as good with the caps on. Going to 19" already takes a range hit. So the ppl buying 19" are not in it for the range. Same with 20"

3. Same as above. Cuz it looks good.

Here is mine with cap kit:
1tIt-0p7HYAd8Bw_P294u3eHoyktYJTPIICOykxJOjk4Ah6tvGBC-9wqm6PIZGs77eNw1zLSaBc8MUDcm_olHFFxJbb_FRdZsmoprtiAiwD7aCOr37wZuhmNdloVYREzYICI0B9kKcBJ4sBHmk2XewdUH2E3FADzbGrC5-BwZg_sUSGwBB7MkCl3Gz1IRni1rj7o2sj-lUUE42ErucTCG4JSKmsB2A8RFDEn19zKfgncjTX6snyuOUxghq_Q8-Nrs3jfFE66cj_PX2XAYPf-JQ-9QFOE7PXyo9tHEWAHK6_LkuQqMwAyiHpsC6zE2SFdfmbalkWJA4H36UUlW2sCdXMRclFFIjn3Q4tXJEGSY39LlxA_gvxXmcKX0ckg0XOdrqFrrU9oA-LfA2v4utq6TikhkTVh8gwuK4bmXeSM6jSMPX06iqecO0jj2plzBa3MEDUBoQaLEmaDvlhXf0OaH4AYPRf7_k3Zlkv9RIAHHAoSKHWp3fpTq285jTFcDsUsrWAcPgUsyT2oDtM3aLQrS3pKxRbOzLfzZQNZdnC2BxEvlxTsg4uKj6PwQg0sBg_WStSXLAuY3uL9pnu5VLhIpSGPwPhPcNCl_NfKlKM-14Z-jjZSB6cU-a2K8hwIoeyp2o9LrNvzO6cp5Fr5PZnJOv_K321KerLB0mlVnuoNIREOtMRfAlL4bN0dlnrqoD2Hvb02jtwNi89YJI8XYzb5tZNiJw=w1407-h939-no

I got one new for $40 total including overnight shipping from a service center. DO NOT BUY on ebay unless they can prove they own a Model 3. When I was looking to buy I was coming across ones that were obviously stolen. Don't encourage the thieves.

I got one new for $40 total including overnight shipping from a service center. DO NOT BUY on ebay unless they can prove they own a Model 3. When I was looking to buy I was coming across ones that were obviously stolen. Don't encourage the thieves.
I can't agree with you more. You can't buy it on ebay.I have purchased it in the service center and installed it myself.

1. The rims under the hubcaps do look really good. You just need to clean them up and put the wheel cap kit from Tesla. I feel the range benefit is only if you drive at highway speeds a lot. I drive mostly lower speeds in town so that is why I have them off. On road trips, I put them back on. There is a side effect though. There are some rubbing involved between the caps and the rims causes damages to both. I believe it is caused by high speed driving 90+ mph.

2. I doesn't look as good with the caps on. Going to 19" already takes a range hit. So the ppl buying 19" are not in it for the range. Same with 20"

3. Same as above. Cuz it looks good.

Here is mine with cap kit:
1tIt-0p7HYAd8Bw_P294u3eHoyktYJTPIICOykxJOjk4Ah6tvGBC-9wqm6PIZGs77eNw1zLSaBc8MUDcm_olHFFxJbb_FRdZsmoprtiAiwD7aCOr37wZuhmNdloVYREzYICI0B9kKcBJ4sBHmk2XewdUH2E3FADzbGrC5-BwZg_sUSGwBB7MkCl3Gz1IRni1rj7o2sj-lUUE42ErucTCG4JSKmsB2A8RFDEn19zKfgncjTX6snyuOUxghq_Q8-Nrs3jfFE66cj_PX2XAYPf-JQ-9QFOE7PXyo9tHEWAHK6_LkuQqMwAyiHpsC6zE2SFdfmbalkWJA4H36UUlW2sCdXMRclFFIjn3Q4tXJEGSY39LlxA_gvxXmcKX0ckg0XOdrqFrrU9oA-LfA2v4utq6TikhkTVh8gwuK4bmXeSM6jSMPX06iqecO0jj2plzBa3MEDUBoQaLEmaDvlhXf0OaH4AYPRf7_k3Zlkv9RIAHHAoSKHWp3fpTq285jTFcDsUsrWAcPgUsyT2oDtM3aLQrS3pKxRbOzLfzZQNZdnC2BxEvlxTsg4uKj6PwQg0sBg_WStSXLAuY3uL9pnu5VLhIpSGPwPhPcNCl_NfKlKM-14Z-jjZSB6cU-a2K8hwIoeyp2o9LrNvzO6cp5Fr5PZnJOv_K321KerLB0mlVnuoNIREOtMRfAlL4bN0dlnrqoD2Hvb02jtwNi89YJI8XYzb5tZNiJw=w1407-h939-no

Looks great. I suspected the hubcaps damage the wheel - not just when taking them off constantly. Anyone want mine? They aren't even good enough to be wall art.

My average MPH is way bellow the speeds where you'd see a benefit - which is a couple percent in the best cases. Sadly most of my time spent commuting I'm stuck in SD traffic.

You have a source for that?

I ask because the tire pressure is the same on both (42 psi) per the owners manual (page 144 current online version)

He's probably confusing handling and ride. Ride is definitely not better. Handling is. I commute in this car and enjoy how comfortable it is. I've had my share of bumpy cars, in fact selling a Fista ST at the moment, and may sell my old BMW M3 at some point too. Both are manual. For now that's my fill of visceral sensations and grip at the expense of everything else. Gets old when you commute 66 miles every day in traffic though!

The Model 3 handles really well of course with any size wheel, but she is a heavy girl. Didn't buy it to throw around like a teenager in a BRZ. Trying to be dignified and sensible with it. I guess I'm officially an old guy...