Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 HV Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you mean outside of the car, no not easily. (You would have to crack it open, bypass the contactors, and then use a power supply capable of ~400v DC. With those voltages you really have to know what you are doing and use appropriate PPE.)

With it in the car you just hook up the supplied EVSE and let it charge. (Assuming the car is functioning and not damaged.)

I know forums like this should be exactly where you go for these sorts of things, but... (yeah I'm gonna be that guy)

If you need to ask a forum how to charge a 400V battery pack via manual methods, please don't try anything with it. There are a lot of safeties in the battery pack because they're an incredibly dangerous thing if not properly managed. To bypass those and charge it manually, you need to know what you're dealing with to do so safely, in which case you shouldn't need to ask a forum how to do it.

If you're serious about working up to that point though, start small. Work with smaller packs. Build your own packs, add balance leads, hook a BMS up to them, learn how all that works. Add protection circuits, learn why you need them, learn their shortcomings as well. Then move to the 400V can-absolutely-kill-you-and-set-your-house-on-fire pack once you have a respect and understanding of what you're working with. If you still need a forum at this point, that's actually fine, but you'll have more specific questions to ask about the technicalities and safety of the particular task.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi, I wanted to know what is the procedure of manually recharging a tesla model 3 hv battry?

Open the charge port and plug in.

As you drive it charges off the gas engine, but if you make too many short trips you might need to plug it in.

Seriously, though, it has a 12v battery which runs the electronics and the charger, so if your HV battery is dead, you only need to supply the 12v and then you can charge normally.

Last edited:
I would image that this OP is trying to use the battery out of a tesla for "some purpose" and is not actually attemping to charge a tesla vehicle. Thats just what it "feels like" from this post and another one this OP made asking about the high voltage battery (not a car).

I am going to agree 10000% with @camalaio..... Messing with the High voltage battery falls squarely under "If you have to ask about what to do on a forum, you absolutely should not be touching said device yourself*.

Op you might want to check into people who purchase salvage teslas or something, and get help from them in doing *whatever it is you are trying to do*.