Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve digressed.

Model 3 SR = USD 35,000 -> AUD 58,205 (LCT = $0, SD = $2010)
Model 3 MR = USD 46,000 -> AUD 75,288 (LCT = $0, SD = $2864)
Model 3 LRD = USD 53,000 -> AUD 91,222 (LCT = $2818, SD = $3487)
Model 3 LRPD = USD 64,000 -> AUD 113,374 (LCT = $7686, SD = $4542)

Going with this, which model is the best buy? I would probably go with the SR or the MR. I don’t need the longer range, and don’t really care about AWD, it will be a family car, so doesn’t need to be that fast. I just want a good and practical EV.

not sure about the high prices, they seem a bit high. theres a different calculator here:
Model 3 LR RWD is 44k USD not 53k USD.

How much will Tesla Model 3 cost in Australia - Model 3 Price Calculator

Is there anyone knows whether the Model 3 could be restricted for P license since all versions of the Model S & X are Illegal for P plate drivers in NSW.
Given the "slowest" Model 3 (Standard range, RWD) will be under 6 seconds for 0-100 time I would assume it will probably be banned for P Platers. Given that Tesla can software limit the acceleration and top speed maybe one day there will be an option to have the car made "P Plate Compliant" with a software limit that can only be removed by the Tesla service centre when it is no longer required?

Given the "slowest" Model 3 (Standard range, RWD) will be under 6 seconds for 0-100 time I would assume it will probably be banned for P Platers. Given that Tesla can software limit the acceleration and top speed maybe one day there will be an option to have the car made "P Plate Compliant" with a software limit that can only be removed by the Tesla service centre when it is no longer required?
The only thing confused is that whether the Model 3 would be considered as a high performance vehicle and added to "Novice Driver - other high performance vehicles restrictions list" since the manufacturer recommended PMR is only 119kw which is under 130kw to hit the restrictions.

The only thing confused is that whether the Model 3 would be considered as a high performance vehicle
Pretty sure it would be - I think some of the older single motor S's would come in under the 130kw/tonne as well but they are all on the list for NSW. I think the instant torque and the fact they can accelerate much faster than a similar power/weight ICE vehicle pretty much guarantees a high performance rating.

Model 3 LRD ≠ Model 3 LR.

Model 3 LR (RWD) has been discontinued. LR is available now only in AWD. And I think the premium package is now also standard in LRD. Hence the higher price.

Oh i see. I thought LRD was long range drive or smth. Im sure the LR RWD will be back in Aus, Elon tweeted Mid range only exists due to battery constraints at the moment.

Regarding the p-plate. Australian driving is already so poor you wouldn't want someone who has just passed their license drive around in a 350 horsepower vehicle. Might get some aggrevated responses here that the p-plate concept doesnt exist anywhere else but in other countries young drivers are limited by extraorbitant insurance costs on anything bigger than 1 L Holden corsa. Nevermind that you seldom see anything more than 2L engine in europe.

Regarding the p-plate. Australian driving is already so poor you wouldn't want someone who has just passed their license drive around in a 350 horsepower vehicle.

Of course the irony to the whole P Plate thing is that it would probably be significantly safer both for the P Plate driver and other road users if there were in a Tesla (or other modern vehicle with AEB and other safety features) rather than the old (but compliant) or cheap (but with none of the fancy safety stuff) cars that they usually end up in.

Of course the irony to the whole P Plate thing is that it would probably be significantly safer both for the P Plate driver and other road users if there were in a Tesla (or other modern vehicle with AEB and other safety features) rather than the old (but compliant) or cheap (but with none of the fancy safety stuff) cars that they usually end up in.
Not sure I agree with that. Tesla's are bloody quick. I know I would have gotten myself in some serious trouble if not be dead if I had a tesla when I was 17... Teenagers do stupid *sugar*. 0-100 sub-5 seconds is dangerous for someone with little to no driving experience.

Reactions: Tension

im not so much worried about their safety but my own. Old vehicles which would be taken off the road anywhere else are a problem in Aus but imho this could be partially fixed by introducing a real roadworthy certificate like in europe and make it compulsary every 2 years for cars older than 5 years. Furthermore there should be some real emission taxes. It is completely inappropriate that diesel exhaust is still black here or petrol exhaust white. If you'd have to pay 3000 dollar road tax a year for an old diesel you would be quick to sell the car or to upgrade the filter.

edit: in all fairness I must say that I see worse driving behaviour from non p platers than p platers but theres obviously more non p platers on the road.

That should happen right after they allow us to have a browser when stationary....and summon from more than 1m form the car.

That should happen right after they allow us to have a browser when stationary....and summon from more than 1m form the car.

this is straya with 80kmh speed limits on 3 lane smooth motorways because of a incident involving a drunk truckdriver 10 years ago.
The only way out would be for Tesla to offer individual versions of their regional Tesla/Ubuntu version. I.e. if you want to you could install the european version.
Don't think this will ever happen though.

Reactions: ICUDoc
this is straya with 80kmh speed limits on 3 lane smooth motorways because of a incident involving a drunk truckdriver 10 years ago.
The only way out would be for Tesla to offer individual versions of their regional Tesla/Ubuntu version. I.e. if you want to you could install the european version.
Don't think this will ever happen though.
We have a brand new expressway in adelaide that is some 5m below all other roads and properties, is multilane, has no intersections, fairly close to straight, and has a concrete divider with the work crews long gone. 60kmh.

Last edited:
We have a brand new expressway in adelaide that is some 5m below all other roads and properties, is multilane, has no intersections, fairly close to straight, and has a concrete divider with the work crews long gone. 60kmh.

people are all complaining about that the speed limits of multilane motorways in Aus should be raised to 130-140kmh and outback should be derestricted to avoid driver fatigue. All I want is for just the national speed limit to apply. xD xD That would be a first step in the right direction.

Reactions: ICUDoc