Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Europe generally has a roadworthy like in NSW after 5 years and then every 2 or 3 years depending on the country. They check lights, brakes, steering, suspension, anything safety related basically and then the vehicle also has to pass an emissions test. On top of that i.e. in Germany the road tax is linked to emissions and unless you are in the top 2 bands you will pay about 5x rego. Can be occasionally a problem with older petrol cars. Once the car reaches a certain age it actually does not have to pay road tax anymore (30 years or so) as it counts as an antique. Makes it very annoying to drive cars older than 20 years old as you pay through the nose to keep them on the road.

My parents recently fitted their Diesel with some new particulate filter/exhaust processor. And they only have a 'small' 2L diesel. If you plan to keep the car for more than a few years longer it is worth it because you pay less tax.

QLD has no inspection, you can get a roadworthy certficiate which lasts 3months/1000km but it is only for selling the vehicle really I think. I had a look at mine and it looked rather "light". The only useful thing they check is brake alignment and wear imho.

I'd be a big fan of emission tests as I cycle a lot and it is quite frankly sometimes unbareable if a Diesel V8 SUV overtakes you on a 8% incline and a cloud of black smokes surrounds you and you cannot breathe. Im actually somewhat convinced that this is a deliberate choice by the manufacturer as exhaust filters reduce horsepower and since exhausts dont matter in Aus there is no incentive to filter the exhausts.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Europe generally has a roadworthy like in NSW after 5 years and then every 2 or 3 years depending on the country. They check lights, brakes, steering, suspension, anything safety related basically and then the vehicle also has to pass an emissions test. On top of that i.e. in Germany the road tax is linked to emissions and unless you are in the top 2 bands you will pay about 5x rego. Can be occasionally a problem with older petrol cars. Once the car reaches a certain age it actually does not have to pay road tax anymore (30 years or so) as it counts as an antique. Makes it very annoying to drive cars older than 20 years old as you pay through the nose to keep them on the road.

My parents recently fitted their Diesel with some new particulate filter/exhaust processor. And they only have a 'small' 2L diesel. If you plan to keep the car for more than a few years longer it is worth it because you pay less tax.

QLD has no inspection, you can get a roadworthy certficiate which lasts 3months/1000km but it is only for selling the vehicle really I think. I had a look at mine and it looked rather "light". The only useful thing they check is brake alignment and wear imho.

I'd be a big fan of emission tests as I cycle a lot and it is quite frankly sometimes unbareable if a Diesel V8 SUV overtakes you on a 8% incline and a cloud of black smokes surrounds you and you cannot breathe. Im actually somewhat convinced that this is a deliberate choice by the manufacturer as exhaust filters reduce horsepower and since exhausts dont matter in Aus there is no incentive to filter the exhausts.

A modern Diesel has 4 requirements- long term reliability, satisfactory torque and power, low fuel consumption and in recent years low exaust pollution, there is no way all these four can be achieved without cheating from the vehicle makers, an owner will complain about lack of reliability, poor performance or poor fuel economy, very few notice or care about the pollution their vehicle is causing, it's time to get Diesel's out of the city and suburbs, no more excuses from the authorities.

• Love
Reactions: Shock-On-T
In nsw it only applies after 5 years. Not sure about QLD. eSafety checks (pink slips)

The problem is there is no emission test that I am aware of (other than no smell of oil smoke) but I think most of Europe may have these especially after dieselgate.
Take your tesla into a branch of the SA department and they would defect the car for having no exhaust pipe.

Is it just me or is the Type 2 connector on this model 3 really high up and not centred within the charge port area. Plenty of room for two DC pins there to make it a CCS2 connector... thoughts?

New Tesla Model 3 with different plug spotted ahead of European launch
Man, it really annoys me when people take rubbish photos... they clearly could have walked up much closer and taken a proper photo of the charge port.

But looking at that I reckon we will see CCS2 in Euro (and by extension, Australian) Model 3s. It’s possible the DC pins have been covered up with a plug-in insert (can’t tell from that low-res photo).

Reactions: Chuq
Getting OT, but how many accidents are caused by mechanical faults that would have been picked up by an RWC? I think the answer lies somewhere between zero and bugger-all. And no detectable difference between states that have yearly inspection and those that don't.

Interesting....

(Tesla submission to senate select committee on EVs)

X6aWm8e.png

Not sure about research, but history seems to suggest otherwise. Didn’t Paul Keating raise the then Wholesale sales tax for luxury cars, only to reverse the change a couple of years later because it resulted in a significant decline in the sales of luxury cars?
It certainly discourages the purchase of luxury cars.
Price is the most effective lever in moving the market, and adding 10s of thousands to the cost of a vehicle is only going to push the market in one direction.
In a way it is a progressive tax (in the fiscal sense of 'progressive') so is fair enough. Galling as it is, if you are debating buying a car costing over $75,000 you are comparitively comfortable and perhaps we should be coughing up. I had a lovely chat with a lady the other day who was wistfully dreaming about buying an $18,000 2nd hand Honda CRV, and had been saving for it for a while.