Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people obsessing over deliveries but I don't think anyone has any real info unfortunately. I currently have a lease till March based on my predicted delivery date (I placed my reservation on day one) [Tesla's track record for delays, particularly in Australia, is pretty well established]. I still wouldn't be surprised if I'm not too far off the mark but will be pleasantly surprised if I get mine sooner.
I meant by most relevant is that it's A/NZ discussion. I have been so far following youtube channels and reddit which is mostly North American discussion.

Your March prediction, did you make that long time ago? I don't think, by this time though, it is going to delay that long.

More on NZ Model 3.
Tesla-Model-3-RHD-in-Auckland (1).jpg

http://evtalk.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Tesla-Model-3-RHD-in-Auckland.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc
I meant by most relevant is that it's A/NZ discussion. I have been so far following youtube channels and reddit which is mostly North American discussion.

Your March prediction, did you make that long time ago? I don't think, by this time though, it is going to delay that long.
I made that prediction when the reservations opened in March 2016 (four years) and took out the lease March last year at the half way mark when my 20 year old Camry was on its last legs. I hope not but even with Model S and X there were delays from when it was here till it was HERE. And I'm in Perth were the delay was even longer.

I was a little bit annoyed that I had to pay an additional $3,000 deposit on top of my initial $1500 deposit when for new orders you just paid the $3000 and expected delivery was cited as August either way but I got a nice post card, c'est la vie.

I was a little bit annoyed that I had to pay an additional $3,000 deposit on top of my initial $1500 deposit when for new orders you just paid the $3000 and expected delivery was cited as August either way but I got a nice post card, c'est la vie.
We, the crazy bunch. I am not trying to think too much into the extra $1,500. But if I didn't get mine coming in the first boat, there will be consequences.

Ok, I admit to having thought about this, as we currently have 2x japanese cars with the indicators on the right. Seems like in a tesla this should (almost) be software configurable!
Yes. but you save more money having the indicator stalk on the one side regardless of the driving side. Japanese are naturally RHD so they would build with the right side indicator stalk (being best side for manual cars). You would find it not much an issue if you're driving an auto.

Yes. but you save more money having the indicator stalk on the one side regardless of the driving side. Japanese are naturally RHD so they would build with the right side indicator stalk (being best side for manual cars). You would find it not much an issue if you're driving an auto.
Yes both japanese cars are manual, so I'm hoping the lack of a transmission will render it even less of an issue.

4 Candidates

ANL Tongala Sydney July 27 Arrived Auckland
Seoul Express Sydney Aug 9 Departed Long Beach
Cap Capricorn Sydney Aug 16 At Long Beach anchorage
Kota Ekspres Sydney Aug 23 Departed Oakland. Heading to Seattle next.

Public - Google Drive Tracking spreadsheet

Any car not on a ship today will not be delivered in August to Australia, unless a RoRo ship magically appears in SFO in the next few days.

Glovis prime (roro) has left san diego and is due at sfo on the 25th. So I guess it's just possible that will be Aus/NZ-bound, and nearly make August antipodean deliveries...

Reactions: Vedaprime
I reckon the indicator needs to be voice controlled, I mean knee doing the steering, phone in one hand, burger in the other, and they want me to indicate!

• Funny
Reactions: jontyh and m4rtin
Regen question I havent seen an answer to ..

If you set regen to 'low', then when you lightly touch the brake does it first increase the regen before actually applying the friction brakes? My PHEV does this and it is quite effective.
Alternatively leave regen on the highest setting and learn how to drive with one pedal only, save for the last 5 metres of a stop. Your brakes will thank you.

Just wait until someone complains about the indicator being on the 'wrong' side :)
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3lk4pm79?p=411

Thanks for bringing this up .. I've been biting my tongue! :p

The Japanese put the indicator for all their LHD vehicles on the left, and RHD vehicles on the right.
The Koreans put the indicator for all their LHD vehicles on the left, and RHD vehicles on the right.

Do you think the Americans would tolerate an indicator stalk on the RHS? I think not.

It's just sheer laziness and cost cutting.

I know 'I'll get used to it'!

But, I'd also get 'used to it' if the indicators were:

- a foot pedal.
- on the bottom of the steering wheel
- on the roof near the rear-vision mirror
- only worked by voice-activation, ie. yelling "INDICATE LEFT", "INDICATE RIGHT", "STOP INDICATING"
- if the stalk is on the wrong side

We can get 'used to it', but it doesn't make it effing right!

/rant

:D