Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they do emissions checks?
I seem to see a lot of black smoke rolling out of every ute on the road...
Sadly no. They were threatening to do emissions checks years ago but it never went anywhere. That being said, if your car is smoky it won’t be passed by inspectors unless they are dodgy- and they risk losing their licence etc. The inspections are monitored and the inspection stations are audited (I have friends who own automotive businesses and do rego checks). I know that there are still smoky cars around, but at least there is some effort to stamp them out. I report them to the EPA whenever I notice them, and the dashcam is good for evidence.

While not perfect, the fact that someone is at least looking for bald tyres, non-functional lights, dodgy brakes etc once a year is a good thing. You’d be amazed at what some people will ignore on their vehicle.

Reactions: baillies
Sadly no. They were threatening to do emissions checks years ago but it never went anywhere. That being said, if your car is smoky it won’t be passed by inspectors unless they are dodgy- and they risk losing their licence etc. The inspections are monitored and the inspection stations are audited (I have friends who own automotive businesses and do rego checks). I know that there are still smoky cars around, but at least there is some effort to stamp them out. I report them to the EPA whenever I notice them, and the dashcam is good for evidence.

While not perfect, the fact that someone is at least looking for bald tyres, non-functional lights, dodgy brakes etc once a year is a good thing. You’d be amazed at what some people will ignore on their vehicle.
Great thing is the filtration in the latest tesla allows zero exhaust odour into the cabin. Its incredibly good.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Dodgy brakes are going to be very rare. I'd imagine most vehicle-caused or vehicle-contributed accidents (the few that there are) are caused by failures of tyre adhesion, like not enough tread in the wet. And establishing that as the definitive cause (rather than just reaction time) is going to be tricky.

Good information though, I had not seen it and probably neither have most people if they haven't gone looking for it.

And on that other question, no, the regular inspections in NSW don't do emissions checks afaik. They might these days, I haven't lived there for many years. But they will defect you if you're blowing smoke. (If they take a dislike to you, they'll find something... one of several reasons why I oppose the practice)

I reserved an M3 in February 2018. Until 3 weeks ago Tesla have been advising (via their website's delivery estimator) it would be delivered 'mid 2019'. They are now advising it'll be '2019'. I've always answered the popular question "When's your Tesla arriving" with "Sometime before the end of 2019". I'm still quietly confident.
Chasing a long range RWD.

I’d guess pricing somewhere in BMW 3-series territory, ~$60kAUD for elusive $35kUSD base model through to ~$120kAUD for optioned up performance edition (attempts to include on-road costs, assumes current conversion rates)
I think the long range battery (499km) has been replaced with the new “mid range” (418km) battery for RWD.

Who knows it might come earlier with the higher spec orders drying up in the US.
Tesla have regularly changed their model lineups. I'm hoping that sometime before the end of 2019 they see the sense to reintroduce the long range RWD. Part of my interest in EVs is minimizing consumption, so a single motor will do me. Plus 50 years of reasonably successfull driving RWD ice sedans has convinced me AWD is unnecessary.