TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Electric_Blue, Sep 7, 2016.

1. paulp

paulp Active Member

I thinks someone sold you a holden with a tesla badge. Tesla’s just dont do emmisions.

2. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

• Like x 1
  3. bay74

bay74 Member

Above implies can’t use existing Superchargers; hope they plan to add the CCS cables to them before the 3 launches here, the charge network is a major selling point in my view.

4. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

5. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

The article mentions that Tesla is planning to add dual cables to European superchargers, so I’d guess they’ll do that here too.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Ah, so that’s why it only went 600km and hasn’t moved since!
    I’ve tried threading an extension cord down the hole where the charge port should be but that’s not working. In fact there’s a weird smell coming out of it.

• Funny x 1
  7. Mark E

Mark E Member

Sadly no. They were threatening to do emissions checks years ago but it never went anywhere. That being said, if your car is smoky it won’t be passed by inspectors unless they are dodgy- and they risk losing their licence etc. The inspections are monitored and the inspection stations are audited (I have friends who own automotive businesses and do rego checks). I know that there are still smoky cars around, but at least there is some effort to stamp them out. I report them to the EPA whenever I notice them, and the dashcam is good for evidence.

While not perfect, the fact that someone is at least looking for bald tyres, non-functional lights, dodgy brakes etc once a year is a good thing. You’d be amazed at what some people will ignore on their vehicle.

• Like x 1
  8. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

There is more information about CCS2 on the separate thread, as it will affect more than the model 3, I request we talk about that on the specific CCS2 thread please.CCS2 for M3, adaptor for X and S
    Also I have posted a link to a great explainer on Youtube in the same thread Tesla Model 3 gets CCS2 in Europe

9. paulp

paulp Active Member

Its needs 3 cords if its 3 phase

10. paulp

paulp Active Member

Great thing is the filtration in the latest tesla allows zero exhaust odour into the cabin. Its incredibly good.

• Like x 1
  11. aegidius

aegidius Member

Dodgy brakes are going to be very rare. I'd imagine most vehicle-caused or vehicle-contributed accidents (the few that there are) are caused by failures of tyre adhesion, like not enough tread in the wet. And establishing that as the definitive cause (rather than just reaction time) is going to be tricky.

Good information though, I had not seen it and probably neither have most people if they haven't gone looking for it.

And on that other question, no, the regular inspections in NSW don't do emissions checks afaik. They might these days, I haven't lived there for many years. But they will defect you if you're blowing smoke. (If they take a dislike to you, they'll find something... one of several reasons why I oppose the practice)

12. aegidius

aegidius Member

13. Miggy

Miggy Member

• Informative x 1
  14. itchyback

itchyback Member

i'd love a model 3 :):D

15. Hovean

Hovean Member

I reserved an M3 in February 2018. Until 3 weeks ago Tesla have been advising (via their website's delivery estimator) it would be delivered 'mid 2019'. They are now advising it'll be '2019'. I've always answered the popular question "When's your Tesla arriving" with "Sometime before the end of 2019". I'm still quietly confident.
    Chasing a long range RWD.

16. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I just logged in to see if has changed for me too, and yes it says same as yours now...2019. My reservation date is April 5, 2016

17. WozX

WozX Member

I’d guess pricing somewhere in BMW 3-series territory, ~$60kAUD for elusive $35kUSD base model through to ~$120kAUD for optioned up performance edition (attempts to include on-road costs, assumes current conversion rates)
    I think the long range battery (499km) has been replaced with the new “mid range” (418km) battery for RWD.

18. Stevie_C

Stevie_C New Member

Who knows it might come earlier with the higher spec orders drying up in the US.

19. paulp

paulp Active Member

Given they are shipping to europe, its more likley that the delay is homologation by our nanny state

20. Hovean

Hovean Member

Tesla have regularly changed their model lineups. I'm hoping that sometime before the end of 2019 they see the sense to reintroduce the long range RWD. Part of my interest in EVs is minimizing consumption, so a single motor will do me. Plus 50 years of reasonably successfull driving RWD ice sedans has convinced me AWD is unnecessary.