Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for bringing this up .. I've been biting my tongue! :p

The Japanese put the indicator for all their LHD vehicles on the left, and RHD vehicles on the right.
The Koreans put the indicator for all their LHD vehicles on the left, and RHD vehicles on the right.

Do you think the Americans would tolerate an indicator stalk on the RHS? I think not.

It's just sheer laziness and cost cutting.

I know 'I'll get used to it'!

But, I'd also get 'used to it' if the indicators were:

- a foot pedal.
- on the bottom of the steering wheel
- on the roof near the rear-vision mirror
- only worked by voice-activation, ie. yelling "INDICATE LEFT", "INDICATE RIGHT", "STOP INDICATING"
- if the stalk is on the wrong side

We can get 'used to it', but it doesn't make it effing right!

/rant

:D
For anyone that has only ever driven a european car in australia, the indicator stalk is on the correct side. Just sayin.

For anyone that has only ever driven a european car in australia, the indicator stalk is on the correct side. Just sayin.

Exactly. We had one Japanese and one Euro and now two Euros. So it suits me! Even when I was switching between the two different ones, it’s not hard to get used to... Worst case you need to clean your windscreen more than usual...

People will always find something to be unhappy about though...

Reactions: paulp and Miggy
Might not be quite so simple... I have light regen on (I don't like the heavy regen). But... in the moment when I come off cruise control, usually by tapping the brake, I notice it regens much harder than if I had just lifted off the throttle at the same speed. I wonder if this is intentional or a bug?

hmm perhaps they do something then but there is no soft cutoff etc the braking system in teslas is just a standard braking system afik

Might not be quite so simple... I have light regen on (I don't like the heavy regen). But... in the moment when I come off cruise control, usually by tapping the brake, I notice it regens much harder than if I had just lifted off the throttle at the same speed. I wonder if this is intentional or a bug?

On cruise control the go pedal is still in the high position, before clicking off cruise control try giving the go pedal a gentle squeeze without increasing speed, that way it holds speed then you reduce speed with foot control, it will take a bit of trial and error but provides a much smoother deceleration.

Alternatively leave regen on the highest setting and learn how to drive with one pedal only, save for the last 5 metres of a stop. Your brakes will thank you.

Yes I can do this with the PHEV also but I find it less relaxing to drive (maybe its just me). I find the paddles which adjust the regen to be useful around town - often I will cruise downhill for a few km with zero or small regen and with no feet on pedals - yes I do have adaptive cruise also but I find it a bit fidgety with speed (maybe Im fussy).
I also can drive with the (default) light regen and with a light brake pedal towards the traffic lights ALL the power goes back to the battery until about the last 5km/h when the friction brakes kick in. Consequently there is minimal brake pad usage.

(OT - I have 15YO BMW X5 with 90K on the clock - original pads and plenty to go - maybe Ill use pads on the P- but I doubt it)

Yes I can do this with the PHEV also but I find it less relaxing to drive (maybe its just me). I find the paddles which adjust the regen to be useful around town - often I will cruise downhill for a few km with zero or small regen and with no feet on pedals - yes I do have adaptive cruise also but I find it a bit fidgety with speed (maybe Im fussy).
I also can drive with the (default) light regen and with a light brake pedal towards the traffic lights ALL the power goes back to the battery until about the last 5km/h when the friction brakes kick in. Consequently there is minimal brake pad usage.

(OT - I have 15YO BMW X5 with 90K on the clock - original pads and plenty to go - maybe Ill use pads on the P- but I doubt it)
With a tesla you cruise downhill with your foot on the accelerator (unchanged) and the car creates significant regeneration. The best example is the top ofnthe south eastern freeway. You can go down there starting at say 200km remaining, and once you get to near the airport you still have 200km remaining. The tesla accelerator does only what you ask of it. Hills are somewhat irrelevant as the computer works that out.

With a tesla you cruise downhill with your foot on the accelerator (unchanged) and the car creates significant regeneration. The best example is the top ofnthe south eastern freeway. You can go down there starting at say 200km remaining, and once you get to near the airport you still have 200km remaining. The tesla accelerator does only what you ask of it. Hills are somewhat irrelevant as the computer works that out.

Yep - similar with the PHEV but I just use the paddles down the freeway without hanging my foot on the accelerator. So can you run down the freeway on low regen without brakes or does it need to be in high? (the 3 could be different to your S of course)

Yep - similar with the PHEV but I just use the paddles down the freeway without hanging my foot on the accelerator. So can you run down the freeway on low regen without brakes or does it need to be in high? (the 3 could be different to your S of course)
To be honest I usually put it in autopilot and dont touch anything until the speed limit reduction before tollway traffic lights. I definately prefer the driving style of full regen so cant give you much feedback on low regen. Low regen in an electric car makes no sense to me at all. I want to maximise the efficiency. Tesla’s do not speed up going downhill on high or low regen. They are far too smart for such old world problems. Indeed if you take your foot off the car will come to a near stop on any decline. You certainly dont ride your brakes all the way down, and you dont have or need gears. Those old cars are so mechanical. I doubt the 3 will be any different to the s or x in this regard.

Tesla’s do not speed up going downhill on high or low regen.
Cheers - Ill look forward to testing out this on the 3. Im a big fan of of adaptive cruise - until I get behind people who dont drive smoothly.

Still no definitive answer whether touching the brakes on light regen activates more regen prior to activating the friction brakes. Will find out soonish (hopefully).

Cheers - Ill look forward to testing out this on the 3. Im a big fan of of adaptive cruise - until I get behind people who dont drive smoothly.

Still no definitive answer whether touching the brakes on light regen activates more regen prior to activating the friction brakes. Will find out soonish (hopefully).
My Audi etron would maximise regen when using the brake pedal but the harder u pressed you will feel the friction brakes kick in to assist. I took a model x for test drive and i swear as i put my foot on the brake the energy graph dove deep into regen but hey I'm not an expert on teslas as it was only one drive

My Audi etron would maximise regen when using the brake pedal but the harder u pressed you will feel the friction brakes kick in to assist. I took a model x for test drive and i swear as i put my foot on the brake the energy graph dove deep into regen but hey I'm not an expert on teslas as it was only one drive

Cheers - sounds promising. Its what I am hoping for / expecting.
Trading the Etron for a model 3? :)

Cheers - sounds promising. Its what I am hoping for / expecting.
Trading the Etron for a model 3? :)
Etron was best car ever owned but 50km electric range didn't quite cut it so sold it already in preparation for model 3 (maybe a little early) Whilst interior, fit and finish will be no where near what i had in Audi I'm still excited by the 3 and what Tesla doing. . ...