Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have regularly changed their model lineups. I'm hoping that sometime before the end of 2019 they see the sense to reintroduce the long range RWD. Part of my interest in EVs is minimizing consumption, so a single motor will do me. Plus 50 years of reasonably successfull driving RWD ice sedans has convinced me AWD is unnecessary.
The 85d model s has more range than the 85 non-d model s. The model S D cars are also noticably better handling.
I don’t know if any of this will translate to model 3.

Given I queued up and reserved nearly 3 years ago I couldn't maintain my level of hype/anticipation/excitement for more than about a year.

So I kinda parked the whole thinking about buying a model 3. Friends cancelled their reservations one by one as the years passed given that by the time they are released here Tesla will be producing some many of them that you can just walk in to a dealer showroom and buy one and have it delivered in a couple of months - no reservation required (I agree with them). I personally left the $1500 there as I felt a little nostalgic or something :)

But is it now time to start getting excited? According to an old (very old) Elon Musk tweet we will be getting our cars down under mid year 2019. Now mid year can mean July August as well right? At least it feels like we might be within 6 months of getting a car and given we've been waiting for over 3 years it might be OK to start hoping.....right?

They are all headed to EU and China (Tesla just got homologation approved for EU). Teslarati looks like a good source of info on these happenings. But I see no mention yet of RHD cars, and the UK is probably missing out on the EU goodness.

I reserved an M3 in February 2018. Until 3 weeks ago Tesla have been advising (via their website's delivery estimator) it would be delivered 'mid 2019'. They are now advising it'll be '2019'.
I am a day-1 reserver, and since early last year, my delivery estimator was changed to just “2019” from its previous “early 2019”. So it’s odd that later reservers were given “mid 2019” as the estimate when day 1 reservers had already had theirs changed to “2019”. I suspect just human error/lack of data consistency.

Apparently the US store has again pushed the standard battery back.
Indeed it has - still 6-8 months away apparently. But that’s all about profitability, and will have no impact on whether RHD comes to us mid-year or not. The RHD’s offered here initially will be LR, LR Performance and MR, i.e. the currently profitable models.

I say RHD MR will be available from the get-go because last week Musk announced that the MR version will be available in all markets where Tesla is currently shipping to from May. Although it is possible that Tesla will give early reservers here a slight leg-up and invite them to configure LR and LRP models first, and those wanting MR will have to wait a month or two until that first batch is done and configuration is opened to everyone.

I am a day-1 reserver, and since early last year, my delivery estimator was changed to just “2019” from its previous “early 2019”. So it’s odd that later reservers were given “mid 2019” as the estimate when day 1 reservers had already had theirs changed to “2019”. I suspect just human error/lack of data consistency.
I suspect you're correct. I'll stick to the theory that my M3 will arrive 'sometime before the end of 2019'. Just checked the calendar and the last day of 2019 is a Tuesday. Early PM would be ideal.

Riding past Chadstone Shopping Centre (Melbourne) this morning, at 7:10am spotted a red Model 3 on a flatbed truck, turning off Warrigal Rd into the shopping centre. Presume* it's the same US-spec' display model as has been there previously, and that it'll be on display there again leading up to (?) the Aus' release.

( * I didn't see it closely so this is just a guess. )

The 85d model s has more range than the 85 non-d model s. The model S D cars are also noticably better handling.
I don’t know if any of this will translate to model 3.
this is only the case because of model s very inefficient induction motors where gearing outweighs the extra drag and weight from the front motor. the model 3 rwd has a permanent magnet motor which is much more efficent and has also inefficient torque sleep. that means what you get about 10 percent LESS range in a dual motor car. considering how bad supercharger coverage is in australia and the lack of rural DC charger coverage this is huge. i wonder whether for australia the RWD might be available on special order. it just makes sense.

this is only the case because of model s very inefficient induction motors where gearing outweighs the extra drag and weight from the front motor. the model 3 rwd has a permanent magnet motor which is much more efficent and has also inefficient torque sleep. that means what you get about 10 percent LESS range in a dual motor car. considering how bad supercharger coverage is in australia and the lack of rural DC charger coverage this is huge. i wonder whether for australia the RWD might be available on special order. it just makes sense.
According to Electrek, Tesla have opened orders to all comers in China for Model 3 and have reintroduced the RWD LR variant for that market. It is hypothesised that is for price reasons (get a lower cost variant on offer), with the Chinese tariffs clearly hurting Tesla.

So who knows - they may start offering LR RWD in Europe soon and then presumably here. Having read the range/efficiency reports on the AWD variant, I would prefer RWD now, as range is king and I don’t need AWD for any other reason.

But it presents a dilemma once the configurator is opened up here. They will likely only offer the two highest price variants initially - so pull the trigger and take LR AWD or wait an unknown period of time hoping RWD is offered later? Tough call.

S & X get more range with dual motor while the Model 3 gets less range with dual motor. The reason is that the permanent magnet motor in the rear of the Model 3 is much more efficient than the induction motors in S & X. Also, you cannot "torque sleep" the permanent magnet motor, so you cannot do the trick that the S & X uses where they gear the front motor higher and sleep the rear motor for better highway efficiency.

I got the LR RWD 3 because it was the "first production" configuration and I needed it ASAP because the lease was up on our e-Golf. I'm really glad we did because it turned out to be the best efficiency and we got in before the Red color price increase.

In Australia, you have been waiting so long for the Model 3 that you might as well get what you really want as long as you can wait into the beginning of 2020. I suspect that Tesla will have to offer more configurations as a "demand lever", so I expect that the LR RWD will become available again.