Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is only the case because of model s very inefficient induction motors where gearing outweighs the extra drag and weight from the front motor. the model 3 rwd has a permanent magnet motor which is much more efficent and has also inefficient torque sleep. that means what you get about 10 percent LESS range in a dual motor car. considering how bad supercharger coverage is in australia and the lack of rural DC charger coverage this is huge. i wonder whether for australia the RWD might be available on special order. it just makes sense.
"very inefficient" and "much more efficient" are probably stating it a bit strongly.
From what I've read, both induction and switched reluctance motor types are over 90% efficient, like 91% and 94% efficient.
The reason the reluctance motors are used in the M3 is more because they are cheaper than the slightly better efficiency. They are cheaper because they don't need magnets or windings in the rotor, just plain steel.
The reason reluctance motors weren't used in the S and X is because they are very hard to get right (require very fast switching), and have a problem at max output called 'ripple torque'.

According to Electrek, Tesla have opened orders to all comers in China for Model 3 and have reintroduced the RWD LR variant for that market. It is hypothesised that is for price reasons (get a lower cost variant on offer), with the Chinese tariffs clearly hurting Tesla.

So who knows - they may start offering LR RWD in Europe soon and then presumably here. Having read the range/efficiency reports on the AWD variant, I would prefer RWD now, as range is king and I don’t need AWD for any other reason.

But it presents a dilemma once the configurator is opened up here. They will likely only offer the two highest price variants initially - so pull the trigger and take LR AWD or wait an unknown period of time hoping RWD is offered later? Tough call.
According to Electrek, Tesla have opened orders to all comers in China for Model 3 and have reintroduced the RWD LR variant for that market. It is hypothesised that is for price reasons (get a lower cost variant on offer), with the Chinese tariffs clearly hurting Tesla.

So who knows - they may start offering LR RWD in Europe soon and then presumably here. Having read the range/efficiency reports on the AWD variant, I would prefer RWD now, as range is king and I don’t need AWD for any other reason.

But it presents a dilemma once the configurator is opened up here. They will likely only offer the two highest price variants initially - so pull the trigger and take LR AWD or wait an unknown period of time hoping RWD is offered later? Tough call.
Anyone with particular M3 requirements should get in Teslas'/Elons' ear about it. I'm after a long range RWD and (ideally) a tow bar. The squeaky wheel gets the oil etc etc.

Anyone with particular M3 requirements should get in Teslas'/Elons' ear about it. I'm after a long range RWD and (ideally) a tow bar. The squeaky wheel gets the oil etc etc.
Riding past Chadstone Shopping Centre (Melbourne) this morning, at 7:10am spotted a red Model 3 on a flatbed truck, turning off Warrigal Rd into the shopping centre. Presume* it's the same US-spec' display model as has been there previously, and that it'll be on display there again leading up to (?) the Aus' release.

( * I didn't see it closely so this is just a guess. )
I'm in Brisbane for a couple of weeks and dropped into the Tesla centre. Surprised and thrilled to see a (LHD) M3 on display. After recovering from the bubbling "Hi guys" from all the staff, a great morning was spent having a good look.

They are cheaper because they don't need magnets or windings in the rotor, just plain steel.
Might have that backwards - though I might well be ignorant of the significance of your use of 'rotor' rather than (the whole) motor. It's my understanding that the induction motor in the S uses no rare earth magnets, but the Model 3 does. There was quite some discussion on this I think when it first became apparent that the 3 was using rare earth metals.
https://electrek.co/2018/02/27/tesla-model-3-motor-designer-permanent-magnet-motor/
PMAC vs induction motor for model 3

Might have that backwards - though I might well be ignorant of the significance of your use of 'rotor' rather than (the whole) motor. It's my understanding that the induction motor in the S uses no rare earth magnets, but the Model 3 does. There was quite some discussion on this I think when it first became apparent that the 3 was using rare earth metals.
Tesla motor designer explains Model 3’s transition to permanent magnet motor
PMAC vs induction motor for model 3
Induction motor has windings on both rotor and stator.
Reluctance motor uses “solid state” rotor, basically something that can be pulled by the electromagnets in the stator, whether that’s slugs of iron/steel or permanent magnets.
The efficient comes because no current flows within the rotor, whereas in an induction motor there is current flowing on the copper windings on the rotor, which makes heat and wastes energy.
In both types there is current flowing in the windings of the stator.

Induction motor has windings on both rotor and stator.

Sort of. The rotor windings in an IM are just copper bars with closed ends (like shorted turns) embedded in steel laminations. The stator has the energised windings. There are no permanent magnets in the rotor, the rotor field is made by (quite large!) currents in the shorted turns, induced transformer-fashion from the stator's rotating field (hence "induction")

PM motors can be very efficient because the rotor field doesn't waste any power to make, as you say. Switched-reluctance motors are a bit different from PM brushless or PMAC though - they are a bit more like stepper motors. See Charged EVs | A closer look at switched reluctance motors and elsewhere.

"very inefficient" and "much more efficient" are probably stating it a bit strongly.
From what I've read, both induction and switched reluctance motor types are over 90% efficient, like 91% and 94% efficient.
The reason the reluctance motors are used in the M3 is more because they are cheaper than the slightly better efficiency. They are cheaper because they don't need magnets or windings in the rotor, just plain steel.
The reason reluctance motors weren't used in the S and X is because they are very hard to get right (require very fast switching), and have a problem at max output called 'ripple torque'.

it doesnt matter. I call 10% reduced range from dual motors as very inefficient in comparison. no matter the reason. Fact is that the permanent magnet motor is much more efficient than the induction motors to the point where you cannot get much savings from torque sleep and gearing.

What Wh/km figures were people getting from non-D Model S's as compared to D versions? I'll start by giving mine: in a 90D, 160-170 Wh/km in suburban driving, about the same on freeways at 110km/h. A lot of hills and stop/starts push it up around 190-200.

cant remember. bjorn did some tests, if i remember correctly on long range driving it was something like 10-15% more range

it doesnt matter. I call 10% reduced range from dual motors as very inefficient in comparison. no matter the reason. Fact is that the permanent magnet motor is much more efficient than the induction motors to the point where you cannot get much savings from torque sleep and gearing.
So 94% efficiency is "much more efficient", and 91% efficiency is "very inefficient".
It seems like too wide a swing for such a small difference.
What adjectives would you whip out to describe an ICE at 25% efficiency? (you are only allowed to use "really" a maximum of 3 times).

Just to be clear there are so many factors that determine the efficiency and range of Tesla cars but before I get on to that;
The original Performance dual motors were showing very poor range compared to original rear drive only cars, to most people it's clear that drivers who purchased the P's drove the hard early on.
Without doubt when comparing two near identical model S cars with the only difference being rear drive/all wheel drive the range and efficiency would be extremly close, in fact some may argue the the dual motor S is slightly better.
The model 3 is a different beast, the rear drive only could get more distance from its battery but only a fraction.

Anyway, owners with cars that can easily travel 350kms on a charge would only be concerned when driving in areas away from an established charging infrastructure, if someone buying a rear drive only model 3 because it "may" get an extra 15-20kms from a charge on a long country trip should seriously consider all the other simple ways to improve range-
Never neglect the tyres and the pressure their kept at.
Drop 5kmh, so what that you get to the destination 10 minutes late, try leaving 10 minutes earlier,
On cold mornings drive off as soon as the car completes charging.
If possible pre-heat or pre-cool the interior.
In hot country areas try and park the car in the shade when charging ( but not directly under a tree or the birds and honkey nuts will mess up your paintwork).

Reactions: Shock-On-T
So does a honkey nut come from a honkey tree or a gum tree?

Urban Dictionary: honkey nut "specifically the gumnuts of the marri tree" Marri | Forest Products Commission

Corymbia calophylla Only grows in the South-West.

"The nuts are large and carry rather large seeds that provide an important food source for some species of parrots including cockatoos. They are commonly called "Honkey nuts" in Western Australia - allegedly a corruption of hockey nuts because of their use in a game."

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
My two bobs worth:
I used the calculator to see whether a 2wd or 4wd was better for range. Cant remember the figures now but it was convincing. Tesla said you cant tell if one or both motors were running. I assume the smaller front motor is the normal motor when you are at cutoff.
On long trips I can easily get $15 kWhrs per 100k by coasting & drafting. The latter takes nerves of steel. I normally drive no AirCon & run on "chill". . I think a range of 500ks is possible with my 85kWhr version & will be put to test when driving to Cairns in a few months time using an inland route with few published charging spots.
Induction motors usually have aluminium bars not copper in the rotors are we certain of copper? The latter would make for a heavier design.
I spent some years in Perth in my primary school days (Nedlands) and do not remember "honkey nuts"