TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Electric_Blue, Sep 7, 2016.

1. PJF000

PJF000 Member

Welcome Tom.
    The price of the Y may have increased twice, but the real mover imho is the exchange rate. In 2 to 3 years our dollar should have bottomed in the 60's and may be heading for the mid 70's. Time will tell.

2. Hovean

Hovean Member

This strikes me as being a good Me price indicator (If the link works):
    NSW model 3 calculator

3. mmui90

mmui90 Member

I meant from official sources. I'm very familiar with that spreadsheet :)

4. houdini

houdini Member

To be more precise the boot is actually massive, but the opening is more boot lid than hatch. I went and saw the red one in Chadstone again today and the boot goes waaay back and also has a big well under a hatch as well.

5. houdini

houdini Member

Having queued up overnight and being in the first 5-10 reservations: I feel your pain. I’ve been holding my prediction for a while that it’ be August at the earliest before we see a car so I’m going back form that and thinking June for the online configurator. I’m hoping August but it may be a month or two later. Still we’re into single digit months to wait and not years.

6. paulp

paulp Active Member

Agree the boot is massive, and will fit lots of tiny things with that opening. I put two 3m long trees in my S today.....cant do that in a 3 with that little boot slot.

7. Stevie_C

Stevie_C Member

With Audi offering 8 years warranty on their battery (reserving over 10% capacity as safeguard) how long do you expect your Model 3 battery to last?

8. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

I’ve heard from a few sources that Australia may actually see the configurator this month with first deliveries in June/July.

9. TonyEm

TonyEm Member

I took my daughters full size cello hard case down to chadstone (got a few odd looks) - and it fits in the boot of the 3. It gets my vote for that (but Ive got a leaf currently and the cello takes the passenger seat in that so i guess my bar is pretty low for 'more convienient'.

10. tom_kauf

tom_kauf Member

Yes, very good point. I remember the 0.60s of the mid 2000s. So even though it'd be nice if the exchange rate was a bit better for the Model 3 launch in Aus later this year (and the trend is in the wring direction), it could definitely be worse.

11. tom_kauf

tom_kauf Member

I've been crunching a lot of numbers lately, thanks to the lack of official prices :). And all the Calculators seem to be pretty accurate (I'm sure people have also seen these):
    https://www.drivezero.com.au/cars/tesla/tesla-model-3-aud-calculator/
    https://model3priceaustralia.com/

Some haven't updated to the latest prices, and the DriveZero seems to totally forget to add 10% GST (even though it says GST included).
    But apart from that, it'll hopefully just be what Elon said '$US price in $AUD plus import duties and sales tax'.

So I get:
    $US to $AUD price incl any options
    + AUD$2k Shipping (European Deliveries were almost exactly that, from what I've read)
    + 10% GST
    + Stamp Duty (varies between States, but the Calculators work it out well). QLD is easy with a flat 2%.
    I don't count Rego and CTP, since any car has that. Unfortunately no advantage over eg. 4cyl cars in QLD, but at least it's the cheapest category.

12. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

13. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

The eight year battery warranty is a US requirement - so no option there.

14. Stevie_C

Stevie_C Member

It would make sense to open up configurator for RHD for both the UK and Australia together. If I was in supply chain I would want to know how many RHD I need to build. Not sure how easily their production line can switch between LHD & RHD or if they can build both at the same time

15. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Judging by the design, literally the steering wheel and pedals are the only things that need to be moved to the right-side. Everything else is done via software. And considering the pedals are drive by wire, I'm sure the bolt holes already exist on both sides of the vehicle and they can just move them across, same with steering. Only other thing would be the seatbelt clips, the release button is black in the states, but are required to be orange in Australia.

16. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Different charge socket, orange indicators (red in the US). I'm sure there's a heap of that.

17. miimura

miimura Active Member

I would think the most relevant comparison would be regulatory differences between Australia and other markets like the UK and Hong Kong that are both RHD and Type-2. Japan seems to be unique in that it is RHD and uses the Tesla proprietary inlet like North America.

18. houdini

houdini Member

I’m assuming these are verified, guaranteed sources :p

19. paulp

paulp Active Member

I suspect the bigger issue is the flack tesla get from “falling” deliveries. Unfortunately they count a delivery as an actual customer delivery rather than loaded on the truck / boat. This means overseas deliveries have a big impact on tesla’s quartlery reports, so they need to balance that with US deliveries to keep the sharemarket and media happy.

20. mmui90

mmui90 Member

The middle screen is actually also slightly tilted towards the driver, so I suspect there are a couple parts they will need to make mirror images of and re-test manufacturing unfortunately.