Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have any data to back up my hunch but I suspect that everyday use at least in my area (Gold Coast) will not see too many queues at the chargers as most people will have the option to be charging at home way cheaper. Also in apartment buildings they usually have some power sockets at the parking areas, so the owners of the new cars may need to talk to the bodycorp to get permission to use those. It might occur some small fee as those will not have separate power meters but should provide enough power for most to trickle charge overnight.
Now holiday seasons like schoolies or large events where there will be a large influx of visitors to the area may see some queues and unhappy people and this is where I suspect the local council or governments could help by having some of the city parking lots fitted with chargers and possibly have dedicated charging spots added. As they charge a pretty penny for parking anyway, why not add a charge socket to those. I don't expect every car manufacturer that makes electric to have their own, some should be provided by local infrastructure like the roads and parking spots are.
Personally I am waiting to see if Tesla will offer a HPWC with the new car or if they will sell it separately and what would the cost for one be before I decide if to get one for my garage or if I should get a dedicated socket for charging (32amp) and use the adapter that comes with the car to charge from that. Either way my daily charge use will not require use of SC or destination charge network except on the occasional trips.
The manufacturers of street lights now offer a charge point in their latest products.

Reactions: baillies
If you're talking about the UMC, it's limited to 15A, even with a 3-phase tail - but if you have 3-phase power it is faster than single phase. The only way to get more than 15A into the car at home is to use the HPWC, or a (very) expensive EVSE that takes the place of the (free) UMC. The HPWC should come with a new car, and all you have to pay is for a sparky to install it.
Today in Adelaide is a prime charging day. The sun is out and the car is set to extract no more than 18A from the HPWC (3x6A 3 phase). Solar all the way.

If you're talking about the UMC, it's limited to 15A, even with a 3-phase tail - but if you have 3-phase power it is faster than single phase. The only way to get more than 15A into the car at home is to use the HPWC, or a (very) expensive EVSE that takes the place of the (free) UMC. The HPWC should come with a new car, and all you have to pay is for a sparky to install it.
I don't think the HPWC comes with model 3s. I have an Ex Demo S which did come with one but that is likely an exception. The problem currently with 3 phase charging with the UMC is that the adapters are as expensive as a HPWC, so I'd go the HPWC and then keep the UMC for charging at 10A single phase when on the road.

Even with a HPWC, 16A 3 phase is likely ideal for a Model 3, I don't think it can charge much quicker than that, and you'd be filling an SR+ in about 3-4 hours.

I don't think the HPWC comes with model 3s. I have an Ex Demo S which did come with one but that is likely an exception. The problem currently with 3 phase charging with the UMC is that the adapters are as expensive as a HPWC, so I'd go the HPWC and then keep the UMC for charging at 10A single phase when on the road.

Even with a HPWC, 16A 3 phase is likely ideal for a Model 3, I don't think it can charge much quicker than that, and you'd be filling an SR+ in about 3-4 hours.
The Model 3 will only draw up to 16A 3-phase, even if connected to a 32A 3-phase station. The other problem is that the Gen2 Mobile Connector provided with the European Model 3's does not have an adapter available today for 3-phase. So, it is unknown whether that version supports 3-phase at all.

16 AMP.

Well, I only have single phase in my house, so will be limited to that. I do have 80A main fuse and a 32A fuse going to the kitchen, so I assumed, I could get a 32A to garage also, but if we are limited to 15A, then that will work also. If they do provide HPWC, then that would be preferable, however even 15A will need a sparky to pull it from main power box so the install cost would most likely be similar to 15A socket or HPWC.

Well, I only have single phase in my house, so will be limited to that. I do have 80A main fuse and a 32A fuse going to the kitchen, so I assumed, I could get a 32A to garage also, but if we are limited to 15A, then that will work also. If they do provide HPWC, then that would be preferable, however even 15A will need a sparky to pull it from main power box so the install cost would most likely be similar to 15A socket or HPWC.

Single Phase 32A is only really suitable for a HPWC, the UMC would be limited to 16A single phase or ~3.7kW. You'd also need to buy or make an adapter to convince the UMC its to run at 16A not 10A.

A 32A HPWC works out to around 7.5kW, that can take an SR+ from 20-80% in under 5 hours or an LR from 20-80% in under 7 hours.

The Australian standard have introduced a guidance annex for EV charging. One of the things that includes is recommendations for a type A RCD dedicated for each HPWC. That said a single pole RCD is likely only a minor part of the cost, the labour is generally the most expensive part. While it is not yet a mandatory part of the wiring rules, make sure your sparkie is familiar with it.

Actually this is not quite correct.
The UMC can do a maximum of 16A, and it can triple that using the 3 phase tail. So you can get a total of 48A @ 240V, which is about 11.5 kW. About 55kph.
I have this set up and have used it at showgrounds on rural road trips.

A 3rd party EVSE can up this to 32A per phase, but modern Teslas can only handle 24A per phase. The older dual charger cars could take the full 32A.

Single Phase 32A is only really suitable for a HPWC, the UMC would be limited to 16A single phase or ~3.7kW. You'd also need to buy or make an adapter to convince the UMC its to run at 16A not 10A.

A 32A HPWC works out to around 7.5kW, that can take an SR+ from 20-80% in under 5 hours or an LR from 20-80% in under 7 hours.
@Priit and @Munka There are also older HPWCs you can buy 2nd hand that only do single phase, but can take 40A.
I have a 3 x 32A HPWC at home, and a 1 x 40A HPWC at my parents' place up north.

For home charging a new HPWC running 1 x 32A is plenty though.

Apartment owners may struggle with at home charging.
They might, and this is an example of where Government policy settings can make a real difference by removing barriers to EV adoption. In this case, State governments could amend their Strata Title Acts giving apartment owners the right to install a home charging solution in their designated parking space without requiring the permission of the Owners Corporation.

They might, and this is an example of where Government policy settings can make a real difference by removing barriers to EV adoption. In this case, State governments could amend their Strata Title Acts giving apartment owners the right to install a home charging solution in their designated parking space without requiring the permission of the Owners Corporation.
Not quite that simple as many buildings simply dont have the infrastructure - the transformer and primary cabling may simply not be up to the additional capacity of mass adoption. I know with the apartment buildings I’ve been involved with developers suck every ounce of un-needed materials out so that profits increase. Having said that, if the solutin was a 240v plug in then the capacity may exist, but a few hundred cables running from the metering may be a space challenge.

Yes it can, but there is a switch in the HPWC to allow Tesla-only or any Type 2.
In the Australian LEAF forum some have reported using modified Mennekes sockets to J1772 plugs and using Tesla destination chargers successfully. Telsa DCs that are not set to “legacy” mode won’t work, but it seems that is the default setting. There are ready-made adaptors obtainable on the net.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
In the Australian LEAF forum some have reported using modified Mennekes sockets to J1772 plugs and using Tesla destination chargers successfully. Telsa DCs that are not set to “legacy” mode won’t work, but it seems that is the default setting. There are ready-made adaptors obtainable on the net.
Nice.
I was reading about various clubs in Europe (mainly Eastern Europe) that are using HPWCs for non-Teslas.
I think at this stage all DCs should really be in 'legacy' mode to allow any car to charge. We need more EVs, whatever brand.

Not quite that simple as many buildings simply dont have the infrastructure - the transformer and primary cabling may simply not be up to the additional capacity of mass adoption. I know with the apartment buildings I’ve been involved with developers suck every ounce of un-needed materials out so that profits increase. Having said that, if the solutin was a 240v plug in then the capacity may exist, but a few hundred cables running from the metering may be a space challenge.
And if upgrades are required and the owner is willing to pay for it, then they should still have the right. All electrical installations have to comply with Australian Standards and be signed off, so that is not a risk here.

If the upgrade required is substantial then there’s a financial barrier but at least it’s not a policy one. The owner might be able to get other EV owners (or other forward-looking residents) in the complex to share the cost, or of course as a last resort take it to the OC and get everyone to pay a share.

But the bottom line is, if someone wants to do it, and has the means to do it, then no bloody-minded OC should have the power to stop them.

Pictures of the superchargers (and Chargefox chargers!) on the Hume posted to Facebook over Easter last week showed lots of vehicles near the associated facilities
I travelled over easter from Sydney-Nagambie-Sydney. On the way down there were 3 Teslas at Goulburn, 2 at Gundagai then 3 at Wodonga. On the way back 2 at Wodonga, 2 at Gundagai and only mine at Goulburn, so was much better than I expected. But once the 3 is here I expect most to be pretty full on holiday weekends

• Informative
I travelled over easter from Sydney-Nagambie-Sydney. On the way down there were 3 Teslas at Goulburn, 2 at Gundagai then 3 at Wodonga. On the way back 2 at Wodonga, 2 at Gundagai and only mine at Goulburn, so was much better than I expected. But once the 3 is here I expect most to be pretty full on holiday weekends
I drove Melbourne to Sydney on Thursday night, in heavy Easter traffic.
Euroa: 1 other car
Albury: 0 other cars
Gundagai: 0 other cars
Goulburn: 1 other car

• Informative
Thats whyntesla are focussed on increasing charge times as it gets better turnover at superchargers, and therefore less of them are required. The idle fees remove any temptation to stay beyond your welcome.