Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Tesla website, post-launch:

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

When will international deliveries begin?
Every country has its own set of rules and regulations, which means that we effectively must build a different car for different markets. This means international Model 3 deliveries will begin in late 2018, contingent upon regulatory approvals, staring with left-hand drive markets, followed by right-hand drive markets in 2019. We wish we could do all this faster and get you your Model 3 right away. No action is required from international reservation holders now. We will contact you closer to the start of production for your country.

Sorry Chuq, I know you're waiting for one.
This makes me glad I caved in and got the S in 2016. It would have been hell to wait for 2019.

Also begs the question about keeping my Day 1 reservation.
$1500 tied up for three years is a bit much.

Personally I'm not *that* annoyed... I probably won't be able to afford it until then anyway - this means I still have a chance to be one of the first in Australia :)

I don't feel bad about buying the Leaf (May last year, two months after I put money down for the Model 3 reservation).

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Sorry Chuq, I know you're waiting for one.
This makes me glad I caved in and got the S in 2016. It would have been hell to wait for 2019.

Also begs the question about keeping my Day 1 reservation.
$1500 tied up for three years is a bit much.

We had two reservations since day one, cancelled them a few weeks ago, as a huge fan of Tesla it's difficult to say this but Tesla motors Australia has shown no respect towards the small band of loyal Model S and X early adopters in Western Australia, still no Superchargers, still no service centre, a service tech is no longer employed in WA and the asset lite is no longer employed. At least in Western Australia the RAC, the electricity providers and the mining companies are supportive of Electric vehicles, expect to see this place overrun with EVs very quickly but unless Tesla Australia lift their game they'll be Euro, Jap and Korean built.

From Tesla website, post-launch:

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

I have been a strong supporter of Tesla and reserved the day before reveal, but that live stream was garbage (why live stream no new details!? it was basically a staff meeting) and the confirmation of 2019 right hand drive markets in there new FAQ makes me want to cancel. 3 years is defiantly a bit much. The car will be dated before our delivers even begin, but upside to that is there may already be many improvements and added features. Who knows

I have been a strong supporter of Tesla and reserved the day before reveal, but that live stream was garbage (why live stream no new details!? it was basically a staff meeting) and the confirmation of 2019 right hand drive markets in there new FAQ makes me want to cancel. 3 years is defiantly a bit much. The car will be dated before our delivers even begin, but upside to that is there may already be many improvements and added features. Who knows
8 months is a goodly time to add all sorts of goodies like D etc. Look at how much better than the early ones our Ss are.

To be fair, if I had the patience I would have waited until it had been out a year before I bought it, just so the quality would be better.
Of course, I've never had that kind of patience, hence the day 1 reservation.

The car will certainly have more bugs ironed out by the time it gets here, and better AP software and so on. I will still get one, but I wonder if it's easier just to cancel reservation now and reserve again in 2 years time.

Personally I'm not *that* annoyed... I probably won't be able to afford it until then anyway - this means I still have a chance to be one of the first in Australia :)

I don't feel bad about buying the Leaf (May last year, two months after I put money down for the Model 3 reservation).
You've talked me into keeping my reservation Chuq, I'd still like to be quick to get it when it finally gets here.
Not sure if I'd sell the S for it though, and since a change in address we don't need two cars anymore, so a tough decision (although far far in the future...)

To be fair, if I had the patience I would have waited until it had been out a year before I bought it, just so the quality would be better.
Of course, I've never had that kind of patience, hence the day 1 reservation.

The car will certainly have more bugs ironed out by the time it gets here, and better AP software and so on. I will still get one, but I wonder if it's easier just to cancel reservation now and reserve again in 2 years time.

Yes i think there’s absolutely zero advantage to having a reservation now. Why have $1500 sitting in someone else’s account when you can just purchase in 2019 and get it a month later. No special things for line waiters or early reservation holders apart from the car we already got. Would be different if we were in the US as it might get you a car a year early, but here..... Once they are at full production capacity they could knock out all the Aussie reservations in a couple of weeks so form order in say late 2018 or early 2019 you could get your car in a month.

Yes i think there’s absolutely zero advantage to having a reservation now. Why have $1500 sitting in someone else’s account when you can just purchase in 2019 and get it a month later. No special things for line waiters or early reservation holders apart from the car we already got. Would be different if we were in the US as it might get you a car a year early, but here..... Once they are at full production capacity they could knock out all the Aussie reservations in a couple of weeks so form order in say late 2018 or early 2019 you could get your car in a month.
You are probably right, but I'll still hang onto it.
$1500 over two years would save/earn about $300 in interest at 5%, and I'm happy to drop $300 to keep my spot in line.

You've talked me into keeping my reservation Chuq, I'd still like to be quick to get it when it finally gets here.
Not sure if I'd sell the S for it though, and since a change in address we don't need two cars anymore, so a tough decision (although far far in the future...)

I am struggling to see the logic of how a reservation will get you one quicker? Even reservations for the X saw some people coming in at the 11th hour and getting vehicles before reservation holders due to specs, cancelled orders etc.

I will bet anyone with a reservation will get their car in order before later people who buy once they can just jump on and order on the site but only by a week or two.

Well we already know all the goodies i.e. dual motor, ludicrous. There’s nothing to add except maybe fixing up any early quality control issues. I’m a bit pi$sed that it’ll be 3 years for the right hand drive markets.
Well, I didn't know dual motors when I test-drove a P85+ at Star City many years ago.
We don't know what improvements the 3 will have by 2019. Could be lots of issues with the early ones, better AP hardware could come, better CPU, quad motors, new battery pack sizes, new battery tech, new chargers, compatibility with new higher speed supercharging.
To paraphrase Niels Bohr, "predictions are difficult, especially about the future".

You are probably right, but I'll still hang onto it.
$1500 over two years would save/earn about $300 in interest at 5%, and I'm happy to drop $300 to keep my spot in line.

Putting a different hat on :) If I can pickup a second hand S and then afford to get a 3 as well even if I cancel my reservation I can jump on and order a week before the Aussie models land and trump all the non-s owners as I’ll get priority.

Well, I didn't know dual motors when I test-drove a P85+ at Star City many years ago.
We don't know what improvements the 3 will have by 2019. Could be lots of issues with the early ones, better AP hardware could come, better CPU, quad motors, new battery pack sizes, new battery tech, new chargers, compatibility with new higher speed supercharging.
To paraphrase Niels Bohr, "predictions are difficult, especially about the future".

Quad motors! Awesome :)

I am struggling to see the logic of how a reservation will get you one quicker? Even reservations for the X saw some people coming in at the 11th hour and getting vehicles before reservation holders due to specs, cancelled orders etc.

I will bet anyone with a reservation will get their car in order before later people who buy once they can just jump on and order on the site but only by a week or two.
The logic is that I'm 90% sure you're right, but 10% sure you're wrong, and that 10% is worth the $300 in sunk cost to me.
I'm 90% sure your prediction of an event 2 years in the future is right, and am willing to dust $300 to hedge.
Hell, even a 2 week earlier delivery is worth more than $0 to me.