Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is this for reservation holders only or is it for any one who wants to buy one now?

I would guess that anyone who wants to pay top dollar for a high profit making performance model 3 will get Tesla Australia's attention very early, it may not seem fair but that's business. I also think Tesla will have no problem building and shipping enough cars to satisfy reservation holders, the big issue will be an orderly personal delivery to new owners across 6 states and 2 territories with limited experienced staff.

Will be interesting to see what the prices will be here in Australia. I will have talk to a financial advisor to find out how high I can go with the car loan. The dream would be LR RWD with FSD, Reality may be SR+ without FSD. Though planning to add FSD maybe a year down the line when finance situation allows it.

Will be interesting to see what the prices will be here in Australia. I will have talk to a financial advisor to find out how high I can go with the car loan. The dream would be LR RWD with FSD, Reality may be SR+ without FSD. Though planning to add FSD maybe a year down the line when finance situation allows it.
The most random part of the pricing will be FSD (now $1kUSD) expected to go up considerably.

Usually in the following order:
- Tesla employees
- Existing Tesla owners with a reservation
- Reservation holders
- Public

This was certainly the order when they first releases the cars but I think it is moot now given their production capacity. I don’t believe they stuck to this order isn’t he European markets recently.

Given they were using a few weeks of the month to produce cars for Europe and then switching to produce cars for the US and this burned them badly last quarter they stated they wouldn’t do that anymore and would rather put overseas cars into the mix each week. So putting this model forward for us here also it feels like they’ll do a few hundred cars and load them on the boat, then next week a few hundred, maybe a thousand and so on.

So let’s assume a couple of things; Tesla employees don’t get paid enough to buy model 3’s :p so only a small % of Aussie employees would have ordered, maybe for family members. Not every current Tesla Owner reserved.

That feels to me like the very first batch will knock off all those orders and get into some of the first day servers and then as someone else said the high profit one’s will be delivered first.

I hope I can stretch the finances to get one of what they regard as that type because I’m hoping to get a car in the first batch or two. Regardless with current manufacturing capability it’ll only be a few months until all Aussie orders are filled IMHO.

I would guess that anyone who wants to pay top dollar for a high profit making performance model 3 will get Tesla Australia's attention very early, it may not seem fair but that's business. I also think Tesla will have no problem building and shipping enough cars to satisfy reservation holders, the big issue will be an orderly personal delivery to new owners across 6 states and 2 territories with limited experienced staff.
I think they’ll use an experienced logistics company and so the dispatch of cars will be smooth. Queues might form for people wanting to take delivery but we may be able to jump the queue by skipping the personal briefing. I for one have watched so many hundreds of hours of model 3 videos that I reckon I can tell the staff a few things about the car they didn’t know. :)

OK, to fill the week or two until our orders open and we get access to the configurator who’s up for joining me in speculating about what we need to order to get to the front of the line? :)

I’ll go first (budget permitting):

Long range or at worst SR+
Blue
AWD
Autopilot
19" STILETTO Wheels

Reckon that will be enough?

OK, to fill the week or two until our orders open and we get access to the configurator who’s up for joining me in speculating about what we need to order to get to the front of the line? :)

I’ll go first (budget permitting):

Long range or at worst SR+
Blue
AWD
Autopilot
19" STILETTO Wheels

Reckon that will be enough?
There's no such thing as an SR+ AWD.

Would anyone have any idea how much insurance might be on average for AWD and/or Performance, or when we may be able to get pricing as this has potential to influence what car is affordable - thoughts on if Tesla would have their new insurance ready for AUS in time

I think they’ll use an experienced logistics company and so the dispatch of cars will be smooth. Queues might form for people wanting to take delivery but we may be able to jump the queue by skipping the personal briefing. I for one have watched so many hundreds of hours of model 3 videos that I reckon I can tell the staff a few things about the car they didn’t know. :)
Tesla already have experienced logistics companies in each state. I really cannot see how delivery will cause complications. These companies are capable of handling hundreds of cars each week in each capital, including transport to country areas.

Tesla already have experienced logistics companies in each state. I really cannot see how delivery will cause complications. These companies are capable of handling hundreds of cars each week in each capital, including transport to country areas.

Yes of course they do but it’s more the delivery aspect someone above pointed out. Each car will need to be “delivered” i.e. a customer turns up, cuts the ribbon and gets a tour of the cars features. Tesla Oz have never had to deliver so many cars before at the one time.

anyone know how you can salary package a Model 3? Novated leases are tricky as they wont be able to buy the model 3 for quite a while.
As far as I know all the tax benefits of novated leasing and salary packaging are gone, the ATO has basically made it no better than just buying the car on hire purchase.
Leasing is still useful if you want to bundle insurance/servicing etc, but with the Tesla's lack of servicing I'm not sure what benefit there is.

Is anyone else concerned about the heat and and UV coming though the glass roof?
I showed my wife some of the youtube videos on the model 3. She said she is not driving one unless the glass roof is made opaque:(:(. I told her a heavy tint will block out 99% of the UV, and there will be more UV coming through the front windshield than the glass roof. Apparently that is not good enough. I also don't think the flimsy and ugly sun shades from Telsa do very much. I am in Brisbane, my Audi's sunroof with a mesh sunshade is still letting in plenty of heat, so I can only imaging the model 3's full glass roof is going to be worse.
I wish there is a metal roof option.