Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20191005_085016.jpg

I've now had my Model 3 for more than a week and combined with my Media day access (around a track), I feel I know the car enough to write the full review. It's long at 7,500+ words and I could easily have kept writing, but someone has to read it. If you have some time, grab a coffee and check out the full detailed review - Review: Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD Performance - techAU

I'm reading through the nice review. When it comes to cabin heat you forgot to mention cabin overheat protection. This is different from Dog Mode. I leave it on all the time. Even if I forget to pre-cool the car, it keeps it from being super bad. Since the A/C turns on the moment the door opens (something else not mentioned) then getting into the car is much nicer than an over heated ICE car. In winter, the instant heat (no water to warm up) is also very nice. OK, back to reading.

Glad you weren’t my English teacher in school, good teaching picks up on the positives as well as any negatives (and many of the negatives you mentioned were only typos not so much spelling errors).
Sorry but I disagree. Everyone has a spell checker these days, that is the bare minimum of QC that should be applied. There were many spelling errors throughout the article, and not just typos that made one word into other word that a spellcheck might not pick up. Absolutely no excuse to let that happen.

To me it says the author doesn’t care about the impression they are creating, and if their attention to detail is that poor, then what else in the article is wrong? It just undermines the whole thing, which otherwise would have been a reasonably good article.

I'm reading through the nice review. When it comes to cabin heat you forgot to mention cabin overheat protection. This is different from Dog Mode. I leave it on all the time. Even if I forget to pre-cool the car, it keeps it from being super bad. Since the A/C turns on the moment the door opens (something else not mentioned) then getting into the car is much nicer than an over heated ICE car. In winter, the instant heat (no water to warm up) is also very nice. OK, back to reading.

My experience with cabin heat is that on the sunny day, the roof window *is* hot and transmit a lot of heat. It doesn't matter if the cabin temperature is at 20C, the temperature just underneath the glass makes it uncomfortable.

IR film there would help, but the cost is pretty high and not all film installers are happy to put film there.

My experience with cabin heat is that on the sunny day, the roof window *is* hot and transmit a lot of heat. It doesn't matter if the cabin temperature is at 20C, the temperature just underneath the glass makes it uncomfortable.

IR film there would help, but the cost is pretty high and not all film installers are happy to put film there.
I was thinking of putting on a retro Louver. Anyone thinking the same? I already have the quarter window ones.

I have actually noticed that synch mode on the AC is a fail. It won’t go cold on the other side if one side is set high. I will complain about this. Everyone else’s work the same?

Sorry but I disagree. Everyone has a spell checker these days, that is the bare minimum of QC that should be applied. There were many spelling errors throughout the article, and not just typos that made one word into other word that a spellcheck might not pick up. Absolutely no excuse to let that happen.

To me it says the author doesn’t care about the impression they are creating, and if their attention to detail is that poor, then what else in the article is wrong? It just undermines the whole thing, which otherwise would have been a reasonably good article.
Who needs to read a review once car is driven? Drive it enjoy. Ignore the reviewers. Most of what they have said is rubbish in the past. Haven’t experienced half of what was written...

Reactions: TaylorP

Agree, this article is littered with errors and poor sentence structure...

Reactions: HPSOV and adee
I have actually noticed that synch mode on the AC is a fail. It won’t go cold on the other side if one side is set high. I will complain about this. Everyone else’s work the same?

Auto is pretty crap really. I'm yet to understand the logic on when it decides to increase the air flow or not. I typically have to manually adjust it because the temperature in the cabin is way higher than what I set it to.

Eg. regardless of the temperature I set it at (typically 21), if it's hot outside, I'll be hot in the car and if cold , I'll be cold until I manually increase the air speed.

And if it's cold, I must bump the temperature to around 24 to feel the heat.

Thanks Melbourne for temperatures ranging from 5 to 25 in a single day, so always fiddling with the temperature settings. annoying.

• Funny
Reactions: ICUDoc and ChrisJA

Agree. Not sure if the glass is the culprit though, or if the 'Auto' mode just isn't aggressive enough with the cooling. If I'm starting from the garage it tends to do well. But if I park the car outdoors around midday and then get back in the AC is all like:

k3tgr7bh6wz11.jpg

It never seems to kick up the fan speed to deal with the excess heat. Doesn't seem like a temperature setting thing, as if I manually dial up the fan speed it'll cool down the car quick enough. It just seems too reluctant to do that on its own.

How do you get in touch with Zac? I have a misaligned trim piece above the left back seat, and was told to log it through the app, and had to choose a service center. I would love him to come over and take a look at it instead for me to take the car in Syd.
I got in touch two ways, not sure which one worked. The first was to call the roadside assistance number. The second was to log it in the App. I'm not sure if your problem qualifies as a "roadside assist" issue (mine was the 12V battery error) and so that's maybe why you are being directed to take it in which unfortunately means Sydney. I believe there are plans for a service centre in Canberra soonish according to the Tesla supercharger map.

Zac did mention that he keeps an eye on this forum and he may be able to DM you to offer help if it is now getting to him by the regular channels.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaylorP and Mendol
I got in touch two ways, not sure which one worked. The first was to call the roadside assistance number. The second was to log it in the App. I'm not sure if your problem qualifies as a "roadside assist" issue (mine was the 12V battery error) and so that's maybe why you are being directed to take it in which unfortunately means Sydney. I believe there are plans for a service centre in Canberra soonish according to the Tesla supercharger map.

Zac did mention that he keeps an eye on this forum and he may be able to DM you to offer help if it is now getting to him by the regular channels.

Thanks mate, i have just cancelled my Syd appointment, and i can live with the issue until i get a hold of Zac somehow. Hopefully he sees my post and DM me..

See you on the road in Canberra.

Reactions: Crynja
Those of you in Tassie - another future owner just posted on Facebook that she got an email from Tesla confirming that her car is now in the state and getting processed before her scheduled delivery of Oct 21-25.

Just like the rest of Australia they forgot that Tasmania existed, discovered them after using sophisticated technology called Google Maps and did them last.

• Funny
Reactions: Dave3333
Just like the rest of Australia they forgot that Tasmania existed, discovered them after using sophisticated technology called Google Maps and did them last.
On the other hand we can generally guarantee that the cars will be running on renewable energy here though! Ah well - just glad that my delivery date is finally almost here.

On the other hand we can generally guarantee that the cars will be running on renewable energy here though! Ah well - just glad that my delivery date is finally almost here.
Well only around 8 people live in Tasmania making it pretty easy but theres always a silver lining!
On the other hand it is a beautiful place so it will be really nice to drive through.

Unfortunately there is a grand total of zero superchargers in Tassie so it might make it a bit slow but theres other alternative charging methods too.
I believe Chargefox is doing some work down there shortly too.