Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put some strongly infrared rejecting tinting on the sides and back window of mine
Back window, that's the rear glass that goes all the way to the middle of the car?
I wonder the impact and how much heat stress that could put on the glass.
There are fastback style cars everywhere with tinted rear windscreens, surely the roof and rear windscreen of a model 3 can be tinted without impacting on their structural integrity? I will tint mine when I get my car. The roof felt hot even the the outside temperature was less than 30 degree.

Back window, that's the rear glass that goes all the way to the middle of the car?

There are fastback style cars everywhere with tinted rear windscreens, surely the roof and rear windscreen of a model 3 can be tinted without impacting on their structural integrity? I will tint mine when I get my car. The roof felt hot even the the outside temperature was less than 30 degree.

Yes, that is correct. I did only get the lower half done. The visible light block on my tint is not super strong and lining the top of the tint up with the horizontal Dempster elements gives a sort of sunset horizon effect that looks interesting from the inside and you cannot see from the outside.

There are suggestions that Tesla has changed the kind of glass it was using because of cracking unrelated to tinting. Reports on the effect of tinting on the risk of this are mixed.

Everyone seems to be recommending that you avoid metallic tints so that the car communications are not degraded.

Change your order to personal other wise you may not be able to use Tesla's super chargers as your Tesla is commercial.
This does not sound right. It is not like they have unlimited free supercharging, beyond free charging received from referrals, you will be paying $0.40+/kWh at a supercharger. Why would Tesla care how your car is registered?

[citation needed]

Reactions: Babbaloo
This does not sound right. It is not like they have unlimited free supercharging, beyond free charging received from referrals, you will be paying $0.40+/kWh at a supercharger. Why would Tesla care how your car is registered?

[citation needed]
This link takes you to Supercharger fair use policy that spells it all out.
Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Reactions: kieranu
This link takes you to Supercharger fair use policy that spells it all out.
Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Like I posted in the other thread. This isn't enforced. Uber drivers charge all the time with no repercussions, I think this was put in there to help them flush out abuse of the unlimited supercharging when they offer it as limited time promotions.

Like I posted in the other thread. This isn't enforced. Uber drivers charge all the time with no repercussions, I think this was put in there to help them flush out abuse of the unlimited supercharging when they offer it as limited time promotions.
I just linked it as there was a request for citation. As with many things Tesla, they do not enforce things until they do. Standard Range initially did not limit functions until they started limiting them. With free connectivity vs free first year only, I do not believe that has been enforced yet either, but most likely will at some point. With Tesla I do not believe this was put there just for the unlimited supercharging as they only added this after they stopped giving out unlimited free supercharging. That options has been sold and pulled a few times since though. They tend to change things often and rarely enforce things, however they may flick the switch at a point in time. Since they have it in their legal terms, I would enjoy it while you can but be ready for it to be enforced at some point in time.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I just linked it as there was a request for citation. As with many things Tesla, they do not enforce things until they do. Standard Range initially did not limit functions until they started limiting them. With free connectivity vs free first year only, I do not believe that has been enforced yet either, but most likely will at some point. With Tesla I do not believe this was put there just for the unlimited supercharging as they only added this after they stopped giving out unlimited free supercharging. That options has been sold and pulled a few times since though. They tend to change things often and rarely enforce things, however they may flick the switch at a point in time. Since they have it in their legal terms, I would enjoy it while you can but be ready for it to be enforced at some point in time.
The other thing is that this clause is intended to target those for whom their Tesla is their primary business and not incidental to it - namely, Uber drivers, car rental/hire companies, etc. where income is directly earned as a result of the vehicle being used. If the usage is incidental, i.e. your primary business is making widgets and you are using your business-registered car to visit clients A, B and C then I doubt Tesla would say you can’t use a Supercharger.

The issue Tesla is mainly concerned about is not the cost of the electricity but Superchargers being occupied / blocked up by people directly making money out of their cars. That’s not the purpose for which the Supercharger network was built nor dimensioned. If you are buying Teslas to directly make money out of them, you should install your own dedicated charging facility and use that.

The other thing is that this clause is intended to target those for whom their Tesla is their primary business and not incidental to it - namely, Uber drivers, car rental/hire companies, etc. where income is directly earned as a result of the vehicle being used. If the usage is incidental, i.e. your primary business is making widgets and you are using your business-registered car to visit clients A, B and C then I doubt Tesla would say you can’t use a Supercharger.

The issue Tesla is mainly concerned about is not the cost of the electricity but Superchargers being occupied / blocked up by people directly making money out of their cars. That’s not the purpose for which the Supercharger network was built nor dimensioned. If you are buying Teslas to directly make money out of them, you should install your own dedicated charging facility and use that.
I have my own theory about this...
My theory is that Tesla put this clause there in preparation to Tesla robo-taxi rollout. So once the robo-taxi starts rolling out, they will start enforcing this to give their fleet an extra benefit compared to their competitors as well as free up more charging spots for their fleet cars as this would reduce the time the robo-taxi cars would need to wait to get a charging spot if all spots are used.

I have my own theory about this...
My theory is that Tesla put this clause there in preparation to Tesla robo-taxi rollout. So once the robo-taxi starts rolling out, they will start enforcing this to give their fleet an extra benefit compared to their competitors as well as free up more charging spots for their fleet cars as this would reduce the time the robo-taxi cars would need to wait to get a charging spot if all spots are used.

Doubt it, the clause was around back in 2016, I bought in 2015....so well before Robo-taxi's etc....it was 100% bought in to stop Uber drivers....

Reactions: adee and kieranu
Everyone seems to be recommending that you avoid metallic tints so that the car communications are not degraded.

This is irrelevant. The antenna for the WiFi and cellular are in the outside mirror under the cap.

00E649E9-DDA7-43BF-8EEE-9D7864CC1E19.jpeg

The Bluetooth is also outside.

Doubt it, the clause was around back in 2016, I bought in 2015....so well before Robo-taxi's etc....it was 100% bought in to stop Uber drivers....
If it was around July 20, 2016 - the same time as Tesla announced this:
Master Plan, Part Deux
"You will also be able to add your car to the Tesla shared fleet just by tapping a button on the Tesla phone app and have it generate income for you while you're at work or on vacation, significantly offsetting and at times potentially exceeding the monthly loan or lease cost."
That does appear to be directly at about same time as the robo-taxi fleet was announced.

Reactions: MonicaPlease