Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I should rephrase that to relatively high level of tyre noise. It’s not that bad, but seems a bit louder than some other cars at similar price point

Sure, but to me whether ICE or M3, it HIGHLY dependent on the typical types of bitumen (quality) that are on your route & the speed for those routes.
i.e. A freeway with a nice smooth top ... SUPER quiet for both with most tires.
Then:
  • ICE all you can hear is the bloody engine
  • M3 all you can hear is the bloody wind (and THATS also dependent which way the wind is blowing :p )
Interestingly I've noticed some bitumen laying machines can lay down an unseen pattern that induces a harmonic in ANY vehicle. Not deliberate I'm sure. Typically disappears after a few months of road wear.

Reactions: Techno-phile
Now I own a Tesla and joined save the planet where does Tesla tires actually come from.
The only information I have about my tires is that they are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires made in Spain. I have not tried to track down the source of materials or manufacturing process, however once those wear down and need to be replaced I will have a closer look at the options. Specially after watching that video.

Reactions: TaylorP
Without a doubt Rob from Ringwood is the best in Melbourne:

Car Tint PTY Ltd.
0417 755 537

I cannot recommend him more, you can watch your car being tinted, he’s an absolute gentleman and without a doubt the finish is dead on perfect.

I’m an OCD nut, even pisses me off (don’t get my started on how the wife feels about it) and I have zero complaints with Robs work.

I live in Malvern East and the trip to Ringwood was well worth while trip.

I just rang Car Tint and he said that he is not touching Model 3's at all any more. Too many reports of cracked windows after tinting.
I said I had heard about this happening with the roof sections but that I only wanted the side windows done.
He then said that the cracking problem also happens with the side windows and he won't touch them.

I've done a quick web search and can't see any examples of side windows cracking.

Has anyone else heard of problems with side windows cracking after tinting?

Also, now looking again for a recommendation for a tinter in Melbourne.

great video.

I admit, I would have never considered retread tires before. I certainly will when it comes to changing my tires later. Are they available in Oz though?

In France, where I'm from, they are often proposed to you as a cheaper alternative.
They used to be commonly available here, but from what I remember werent rated for more than 80km/hr. I remember having one come apart on me at 100km/hr, was not pleasant and it damaged part of the car as the tread peeled off the carcass.

I've done a quick web search and can't see any examples of side windows cracking. Has anyone else heard of problems with side windows cracking after tinting?
News to me... never heard of that. The side windows in Model 3 are normal automotive glass as far as I know. I can understand reticence with tinting the roof since it is a different type of glass.

My side windows were tinted by Solartint (subcontracted out by OptiCoat - presumably they wouldn’t use them if they didn’t think they’d do a good job) and it looks perfect. No cracked windows, but it’s only been 3 weeks :D

Reactions: HappyPEJ
If the side windows are toughened glass like most cars they will not crack but will shatter into a
million pieces, the tinting will hold the pieces together. If they are laminated glass they may crack.
There should be a logo on the glass saying if they are toughened (safety glass) or laminated.
I would think that the roof panels would be the same as the side windows.

I just rang Car Tint and he said that he is not touching Model 3's at all any more. Too many reports of cracked windows after tinting.
I said I had heard about this happening with the roof sections but that I only wanted the side windows done.
He then said that the cracking problem also happens with the side windows and he won't touch them.

I've done a quick web search and can't see any examples of side windows cracking.

I had Permagard do window tint (side and rear half) plus ceramic coating. Did awesome job. Rear window done well I guess if I look hard enough I'd find the join to roof tint on back window but nothing jumps out. Hadn't heard of cracking so fingers crossed hey. Only done a week ago.

That's unfortunate, maybe give JJ a call from Affinesse (you get a 10% disconnect if you're a TOCA member).....they have plenty of experience with Model 3's.

Web: Affinesse
Phone: (03) 9581 2653
Address: Unit 4/75 Main Rd, Clayton South

Reactions: apchoo and HappyPEJ
One thing they really bugs me with the car is, when I open the door just to grab something quickly, it will start everything, turing on the aircond, centre screen, and headlights. The headlights also take a long time to turn off. Now they won’t even turn off, together with the centre screen and stereo, even after I had walked away and locked the car, arghhhhhh!!!

Is Rob saying he's had multiple reports of that come back to him?

Fair enough if he doesn't want the work, but if he's going to basically tell you that tinting the windows and/or roof will cause them to crack, he should back it up with some evidence.

Bit thin on the evidence - said others had told him of instances and told me look it up on the internet as there were lots of examples. (As I said, I've looked and can't see any)

Either way, he was very clear that he would not do it. Even advised me to steer clear of a model 3 and buy a Kia Stinger instead.

I wonder if I was talking to Rob himself or an employee? I didn't get a name and that doesn't sound like the 'gentleman' I was led to expect.

I tinted my side windows in Tinthaus in Sydney about three weeks ago. Thay have done many Teslas M3s and they told me that the side windows are toughened and rear glass is laminated (dual layer). They mentioned that there is risk with cracking on laminated glass and I didn't tint the rear glass.