Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one is exempt from the statutes.

There is an option here - don’t exceed the speed limit. Speeding is not compulsory, you know.

For those who think traffic cops are “revenue hungry” then deny them that revenue by not speeding. If one chooses to exceed the speed limit, then do so accepting the potential consequences. If you get fined, it was your choice to tempt fate, so suck it up and don’t whinge about it.

Yes, agreed.
I am 6 points down and they are my fault.
So I now let AP drive everywhere with zero offset and chimes on. Sometimes AP chimes at itself when it is 1kms over.
I still launch from the lights however, overriding AP, then take my foot off when I hear the chime.

I wear the disagrees like a badge of honour. Although it’s not entirely clear what the disagrees disagree with... except for bigbones to whom I have responded.
I would like to know who do we turn to to complain about too low speed limits in some locations. There are plenty that are limited to 50 or 60 that should be either 80 or 100. I have written to local council but that does not appear to get anywhere and I am not sure who makes those decisions.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I would like to know who do we turn to to complain about too low speed limits in some locations. There are plenty that are limited to 50 or 60 that should be either 80 or 100. I have written to local council but that does not appear to get anywhere and I am not sure who makes those decisions.

QLD has a really weird speed limit of 60. I find 60 is always wrong. I either drive 45-50 in those zones because it is clearly not safe to drive that i.e. in the city or it's a huge doublelane road with no pedestrians and hardly any intersections so it should really be a 70 or 80.

The 80 limit also gets abused way too much by authorities in QLD to reduce i presume fatalities on dual carriageways when they really should improve australian driver training which is abysmal. These are all roads which would be 100 or 110 in europe.

Been over a week since I got the "We will shortly upload a copy of your final invoice to your Tesla account." message. Does anyone know how long this takes for them to send the full invoice? Estimated delivery said Feb during the checkout process, this is looking less likely now.

Been over a week since I got the "We will shortly upload a copy of your final invoice to your Tesla account." message. Does anyone know how long this takes for them to send the full invoice? Estimated delivery said Feb during the checkout process, this is looking less likely now.

I think for many people the invoice never appeared in the account, Tesla just emailed to us, often quite close to delivery

Reactions: jason66
I agree with dmaunder. I just got an email about a week before delivery, nothing ever to my account.

The best thread here for all things order related would be the one started by Vedaprime. It, like this one is, at TMC > Asia/Pacific > Australia - School of the Hidden Vins - Guide to Tracking your Tesla after ordering.

I agree with dmaunder. I just got an email about a week before delivery, nothing ever to my account.

The best thread here for all things order related would be the one started by Vedaprime. It, like this one is, at TMC > Asia/Pacific > Australia - School of the Hidden Vins - Guide to Tracking your Tesla after ordering.

I haven't paid in full, only the deposit, so I assume delivery isn't on the radar.

Maybe I need to rephrase the question, how long does it take for them to email you with the invoice to pay, after you pay the initial deposit? I'll check that other thread.

I haven't paid in full, only the deposit, so I assume delivery isn't on the radar.

Maybe I need to rephrase the question, how long does it take for them to email you with the invoice to pay, after you pay the initial deposit? I'll check that other thread.
They emailed me the final invoice 2 days before I picked up the car. The invoice never appeared in the account and since I had finance pre-approved they emailed the invoice to me and the finance company at the same time, the finance company approved the payment the next day and I picked up the car the day after.
This was my experience, I do not know if they have improved/changed their processes, but I would not be surprised if you get the invoice at the last moment possible before the delivery.

2020.4.1 improved lane changes and actually taking exists correctly
That is good news, as my prior version missed a couple of exits while using NoA.
Since the size of this update is much higher than any previous updates (2040.4.1 size around 2.7GB) I hope there are other features that may be enabled later.

Recently Canada reported about few features getting enabled (without a software update) and I noticed they work with 2019.40.50.7 in Australia as well.

Update! 2 New Summon Features for Canadians (Jan 24,2020)

Those of you that might be on the fence about FSD, now that Navigate on Autopilot is released and more recently in 2020.4.1 improved lane changes and actually taking exists correctly I thought I'd put up a quick video on my initial tests.

Hope some of you might find it useful if you're still thinking about the purchase!

Thanks for the review. It is indeed clever stuff.
I thought briefly about FSD and decided base Autopilot is the sweet spot. $8500 for lane change and exits does not stack up for me. would never use autopark or summons.

I thought briefly about FSD and decided base Autopilot is the sweet spot. $8500 for lane change and exits does not stack up for me. would never use autopark or summons.
I totally agree with this. I had a look, did a test drive and loved the FSD options during test drive before purchasing my SR+, but after a quick think about this, realized that in daily driving, I will be using the Autopilot functions, but the extras that I would get from purchasing FSD would more be of a novelty functions to show things off a few times and there is no way they would be worth for me the extra cost of $8500. Similarly for me, I would have loved to get the extra range of LR battery and the premium sound, but I do not need the performance boost from second engine and the rest of the benefits that come from AWD or Performance models, so for me that extra 100km range per charge was not worth $25k that the price difference was to the next model. I would have loved to have an option in between like the LR RWD in the USA was, but unfortunately that has not been an option here.
All that said, I am very happy with my SR+ and have learned to cope with the limited range as that is the only inconvenience that I have had to work around a few times every month. The sweet spot for me would have been probably about 50km more range actually, so even if MR RWD would have been shipped here that would have been the closest to perfection for my usage.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
Nor me. It would become a quite an expensive car - a price-point where you'd at least expect something else that all owners (not just frequent freeway drivers) could appreciate, like auto open/close on the frunk and boot lids.
FSD is composed of 3 main elements:
Smart Summon - driving by itself to collect owner at another point in a carpark.
NOA - entering, changing lanes and exiting freeways to a preset destination.
City AP - traffic sign recognition and intersections off freeway.
Elon says these will all be released in Betta this year ( but he said the same last year) to make FSD.
I love being a Betta tester and so part of the car's ( and our) evolution.

Reactions: bomidi
Got 20.4.1 yesterday. Yep lane change and on/off ramp exits works well now. Also car used to sit in middle lane now quite happy in left. Also voice command now works better... wouldn't recognise "set temperature to 20" before. Can't seem to get "create new text message" to work though... Id be interested in any other handy voice commands people use regularly?

Id be interested in any other handy voice commands people use regularly?
So far the only consistently working voice commands for me have been "Navigate home", "Navigate to work" and "Navigate to ...(some public location like shops, cinema, beach)". All other voice commands have been very random at working. Also I have noticed that if I set a favorite map location, navigating there usually does not actually navigate me there but some other place within a kilometer from there and usually to get to the place I wanted to go, I will need to deviate from route recommended by car as it is not actually taking me where I saved the location as favorite. However any lack in the navigation accuracy and voice commands the car well makes up for in the driving factor. It is awesome to drive.