Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sound like an arsonist.

Just accept that the future of humanity won't be on Earth. We will start building O'Neill Cylinders (or similar structures) in space within a century. There are enough resources in the solar system to support a population of trillions. Not everyone will leave Earth. I know Bezos thinks you'll just zone the Earth as residential and light industrial, but really, those who stay here will continue to wreck the place until it's uninhabitable. But with a little effort, the species will survive and thrive elsewhere.

Trouble with that is the prolonged exposure to radiation.....no?

Trouble with that is the prolonged exposure to radiation.....no?
A fixable one.

There are two main kinds of radiation to worry about: solar radiation and cosmic rays.

Solar radiation is ridiculously easy to protect against. Cosmic rays less so, as they pass through most things. Mitigation for the latter will fix the former. Potential strategies (which will vary from station to station) could include:

• Putting the station's freshwater and wastewater holding tanks on the outer shell of the cylinder, underneath where people live.
  • Using layers of polyethylene foam.
  • Using surplus solar power to operate some sort of electrostatic or electromagnetic shield around the station.
  • Dietary changes.
  • Processing the surplus iron from asteroid mining efforts (of which there will be a LOT of surplus!) and using that iron to construct a separate non-rotating cylinder outside the rotating cylinder.
  • Or just build your O'Neill Cylinders inside suitable asteroids. You'll get ample protection from the regolith at first, and since iron is always a by-product, by the time you've mined-out the entire asteroid, the iron (which you wouldn't waste effort shipping anywhere else) is right there ready to be fashioned into an aforementioned outer shell.

I think the main point is that off-world solutions to planet Earth problems need to bring things that stop humans from pooing in their own nest.

Moving to a new nest and continuing to poo in it is not a solution.

Colonising Mars fixes some of the killer asteroid risk, but not so much the pollution problem.

Moving heavy industrial and mining production to space fixes one of the pooing problems - if only because poo in space is not an Earth problem.

If you can sort out a habitation problem whose solution is poo free, then there is no need to spend the resources and effort to get it to Mars. Just use it on Earth - right gravity, right atmosphere, right radiation and exposure.

I’m excited about moving off the planet and space as a thing (spaceships!!), but it needs to solve some of the issues of humans being that don’t involve more of the same poo spread more thinly.

I think the main point is that off-world solutions to planet Earth problems need to bring things that stop humans from pooing in their own nest.

Moving to a new nest and continuing to poo in it is not a solution.

Indeed, the new nest would need to be better managed than the Earth has been.

Colonising Mars fixes some of the killer asteroid risk, but not so much the pollution problem.

Mars has its own challenges, and as far as I'm concerned, it's going to be a trifling small colony at best. It doesn't have the resources to support billions, let alone trillions of people

Moving heavy industrial and mining production to space fixes one of the pooing problems - if only because poo in space is not an Earth problem.

If you can sort out a habitation problem whose solution is poo free, then there is no need to spend the resources and effort to get it to Mars. Just use it on Earth - right gravity, right atmosphere, right radiation and exposure.

I’m excited about moving off the planet and space as a thing (spaceships!!), but it needs to solve some of the issues of humans being that don’t involve more of the same poo spread more thinly.

After all that mention of pooing, may I point out that pooing is literally the way you produce soil. Mix it in with agricultural wastes and compost it. You'd import food from Earth at first, as well as using onboard aquaponics. You can easily provide a diet rich in fish and vegetables. But as the population grows and the residents produce their own soil, you start processing that to do onboard agriculture, onboard forestry, and shift farm animals from factory settings to newly built pasture.

But back to what you intended to say, two important factors come to mind:
  • People aboard a station will be more motivated to preserve its environment far more than people on Earth, and
  • There will always be expansion, to support population growth, and to exploit resources elsewhere in the system. Water is easier to find in the belt & points beyond. Asteroids rich in silicon won't be rich in water. Not all will have a thriving meat supply. There will be trade. And all will give you so much surplus iron to work with, that accommodating population growth won't be an issue.
There will always be a population somewhere that doesn't care, especially on Earth. Unless you go 100% authoritarian on a global scale (which is no way to live), Earth is unfixable. But on stations, you have two options:
  • Encourage antisocial people on one station to go move to the new one you're building, or
  • Market the new station you're building to people who fit in with a prevailing culture of neighbourliness, and leave the old station to those who either need to shape up or turn their station into another uninhabitable wreck, like the Earth. Or a smelly farm where people don't want to live in large numbers.
The new station will probably be technologically better anyway.

Anyone who has taken delivery recently, can you confirm whether the "curry hooks" are included in the frunk?
yeah don't bother with Tesla.. . they are useless with many post sales assessories e.g. mud flaps, fog lights (will retro fit if missing but wont enable them for use), tow bar, paint repair kit.. just like any other car seller here at the ends of the earth...

hooks readily available locally from tessories - Front Trunk Grocery Bag Hooks – Tessories

and they got other good stuff too.

• Informative
Reactions: Onshore
Matt Kean, NSW’s outspoken Minister for Energy and Environment ... shortly after picking me up from my home in his new Tesla Model 3.

This is the first fully electric ministerial car in the country, he says, all bonhomie and slightly frantic energy, tapping at the huge central screen to reject yet another incoming call, apologising again for being so late. With boyish enthusiasm, he explains he’s run the numbers for this car and it’s no more expensive to lease than the Toyota Kluger it replaces, yet is more efficient and a better all-round experience. “So why wouldn’t you go electric?”
We stay on electric cars as oysters arrive. I mention the lack of local incentives, emission legislation that lags Europe by more than a decade, and now the NSW Treasury calling for a special tax on battery vehicles. “It’s abysmal, absolutely appalling,” he responds. “The problem is we’ve seen climate change only as a threat to our way of life, a threat to our standard of living, a threat to our economy and threat to the jobs that we have. It is a threat, but it’s also this enormous opportunity.”

Why Liberal Matt Kean is electrified by climate change

Reactions: moa999
Thanks. What’s the current situation with floor mats? Are they supplying basic carpet ones with the car, or is it BYO?

I bought a set of floor mats from Taptes - bad mistake too. They were flimsy, even the fake Tesla logo was attached crookedly. I returned them and they never refunded my money. I won’t be buying anything else from Taptes that’s for sure. Ended up with a much superior set of mats from Fit my Car.

Last edited:
Just watched it thanks, what is hilarious is that when the Model 3 is driven out of the factory and when driven onto the ship they have added an ICE engine sound over top!

Yeah I think each time there was a Tesla accelerating there was a ICE engine overlay.

I have to say when they showed the staff with the hammers doing alignment work I was like.. ah.. that explains it.

upload_2020-8-16_22-45-11.png