TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Electric_Blue, Sep 7, 2016.

1. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

The adapter you need, you will need to get 2 of them, one for front and one for back:
    Tesla Model 3 2017-2020 Adapter to allow use of new USB-C | Etsy

M3, CONSOLE, REAR VENT ASY, PREM BTN Part #: 1111072-00-E
    MY USB HUB FRONT Part #: 1522264-00-B

Then for the rear you literally just pull and it comes off and swap it.

For the front, it's six simple bolts and then the three little screws old the usb hub, simple swap out and then screw it all back up.

• Like x 1
  2. PCC1

PCC1 Member

Thanks Much appreciated!

3. meowsers

meowsers Member

Thief’s big mistake left behind in Tesla

I don't understand how this car was even stolen to begin with. She must have either had a phone in the car or the key in her purse which was also in the car. Lots of missing information. I figure they don't want to publicise much as most insurance wont cover you if you leave the key in the car.

4. moa999

moa999 Member

Owner had posted in TM3AU Facebook forum.

Believed key card had previously been stolen from inside serviced apartment, though why they jimmied the window to get to the handbag unnown.

Without the alarm going off may not have even been alerted until car was well gone.

5. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

Thanks, this looks good and very tempting. Like you, I have the original Jeda hub, so that puts me off doing the upgrade, I would like the higher powered USB ports though.

I'm more tempted to change out the door opening buttons and the window switches in the front, have you seen if they are a direct swap? I'm tired of passengers not listening and pulling the emergency exit door handle and the matte black would match the rest of my trim.

6. Fazza

Fazza Member

Just wondering how the faster speed / higher power comes about if it's just a swap of the connector type or is the USB C module just behind the port panel being swapped out?

7. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

For the door opening, I've got some of those door open stickers on each door that say open.

USB power wise, It's not the connector, it's the new hubs that allows the faster charging.

As for the Jeda USB Hub, there is a new version out with USB-C but I just used a Y-USB cable which has two USB cables going to the Jeda wireless hub but the other option is you can use the Tesla wireless charging pad (it uses just a single USB-C cable). For the Sentry SSD, it's just velco'd onto the side (admittedly not very well, so i'll look at that again).

But yeah, it does rapid charging now.

• Like x 1
  8. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

Actually one thing I should say, not that anyone will due to the cost of the new part, but the central console area would be a very quick and easy change to the new 2021 version.

Logically new front windows would be a easy change but then i'd have to get the tinting done again and given that the other windows are still the same thickness you probably wouldn't notice a big noise drop.

9. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

That was the way I was going to go, until I saw the more OEM solution while also solving the piano black annoyance. Maybe I'll just get the sticker and see if it bothers me or not - wait for someone else to do the swap, see if it's straight forward and how much it costs.

10. T3SL4A

T3SL4A Member

Has anyone had the rear wheel arch liners replaced? Sometimes they don’t fit well and come away from the bodywork.
    I’ve been quoted $96 to replace them. This is for the labour component only. The liners are supplied free! Surely this is a warranty issue. And why are they free but the labour charged for?

11. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

One of my early warranty fixes was to get one of mine changed as it started to come off.

12. T3SL4A

T3SL4A Member

But were you charged for it?

13. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

Nope. I showed it was moving around and not secured.

14. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Do you have a link to the new centre console?

15. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

It's 6 bolts to take the whole area off and the new one would slot in. I don't have the parts numbers but i'm guessing it'll a bit pricey. The service team is usually quite good in finding the numbers and quote for you. The easy option is wait for some wreckers to start to get parts after some write-offs occur but I guess that's a while off.

16. moa999

moa999 Member

Albeit the usb sockets would be a little tougher to access with the new lids, they've swapped around in the refresh.

And you've got wiring for the wireless charger.

17. HudsonTiger

HudsonTiger Member

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm about to put in a order for a model 3 performance 2021. Do I need to be worried about quality. If someone lives in Geelong and would like to chat to ease my mind, so I can pull the trigger
    Cheers

18. jamesgo

jamesgo Member

Tesla Mobile service can fix most items and they will come out to you.

19. cafz

cafz Member

If you are on Facebook, try the "Tesla Model 3 Australia" group on there, usually there's plenty of people ready to show you the car and have a chat.

• Like x 1
  20. Onshore

Onshore Member

Is there something specifically that you are concerned about?

Like any car, do your pre-delivery inspection, and in the unlikely event that you find damage or a quality problem, be prepared to refuse delivery.

The model 3 is now a couple of years out of the "production hell" phase, and I'm not aware of any widespread issues recently.