Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't want this. Drive for the environment you are in.
Good morning, Stratman.
Who are "we"?
I DO drive for the environment I am in- that is the core of my point- if the pedestrians can't hear me, they don't move over and instead just continue to walk at a snail's pace along the lane. And, as I DO drive for the environment, I am forced to drive at a snail's pace behind them.
Whether such a noise-maker gets implemented as law, I suspect won't be affected by my (?"our") comments here. It's not about safety as far as I am concerned.
Perhaps you are not lecturing me about how to drive, but it seems like it and it has annoyed me.

We don't want this. Drive for the environment you are in. If it gets on the gov radar and gets implemented, you can be sure there will be no toggle to turn it off and will more likely become law.
Disagree. BEVs need a pedestrian horn for just the situation @ICUDoc described. There’s been a small number of times when I have been behind wandering pedestrians and would like to have been able to gently notify them of my presence, rather than drive at walking speed. Honking the horn in that situation is something I won’t do - way too rude.

The completely out-of-proportion reaction to any sort of pedestrian safety sound by some BEV drivers is truly bizarre. Some have even claimed it is an insidious government plot solely intended to make BEVs less attractive and hence destroy them as a threat to ICE. Seriously?

Reactions: Hairyman
I have changed my mind about this. I used to love the idea of being silent at low speeds, but now I think we need the option to make a noise.
Pedestrians can't hear me at low speeds- they are completely safe because I am not going to run them down, but if I end up driving behind them, I have to drive at walking speed until they realise I'm there- or until they change direction!
The horn is too loud for warning them- scares the crap out of them.
So I WANT a low-speed, soft noise I can toggle on or off to let them know I'm there.
In that situation, I roll down my window and turn up the music. :cool:

Good morning, Stratman.

....Perhaps you are not lecturing me about how to drive, but it seems like it and it has annoyed me.

Seems like an overreaction to a general comment about driving to the conditions, just chill a bit. I suspect in a car park that most speed limits would / should be near walking pace anyways . Also, not a lecture, just a general comment about giving people time and space no matter how slow or fast they may be walking. It's my / our fault if I creep up on someone in a car park and give them a fright.
I'd rather my car make no more noise than it does already. Although, this time of year I would consider given them Elon's Christmas jingle sound effect.....or maybe even a Falcon Heavy fart.

Reactions: JohnBNE and ICUDoc
I have similar situation of people not hearing my car in supermarket car parks.
I’m very wary of them, so drive at their pace.
Saw a YT review on a MG EV, it had a button on steering column that sounded a bell sound.
Just like a tram.
‘ding ding’
Not too loud.
Better than a constant sound when driving slowly.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Saw a YT review on a MG EV, it had a button on steering column that sounded a bell sound. Just like a tram. ‘ding ding’ Not too loud. Better than a constant sound when driving slowly.
That’s exactly what I’ve advocated for previously - a pedestrian horn, driver activated. Awesome that someone has finally done it! What I’d like even better is the ability to upload MP3’s to the car as the alert noise. Cowbell, anyone?

My Nissan LEAF has a constant pedestrian forward alert noise at low speed, but you can hardly hear it from inside the cabin. It can be manually switched off, but I leave it on. It also has a “beep beep” noise when reversing.

Did some Dragy testing in my new MY21 M3P today.

0-100 km/h 3.48s and with 1ft roll out 3.27s at 80% SOC, in line with Tesla claims for the car.

I've driven 919km so far and averaged 166Wh/km in mixed driving, including mountains, highway and city. A bit of spirited driving included :)

The car is indicating an average of 159 Wh/km for the last 50km and projected range of 428km for 85% SOC. Tyres are at 44 - 45 PSI

I pulled the frunk out to see if I could see any indication as to battery capacity for the car, but nothing obvious on any of the parts/stickers etc.

If the projected range is 503.53km for 100% SOC at 159 Wh/km it suggests the battery capacity is 80KWH, a;though I've read that they are supposed to have the updated 2170 cell based pack at 82KWH?

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
So i'm guessing the firmware version would need to be updated to utilise the PWS.

I took a photo of what is in the space where the PWS goes, there is holes there for the sound to come out. The cable was loose so I zip tied it to stop it rattling around.

There is what looks like the PWS under there as well made by Seger but that's the car horn.

upload_2021-1-13_18-44-22.png