Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from Wanaka in the South Island of New Zealand, SHPG - Snow Farm is just up the road and I spotted four Tesla Model 3's testing, one in white, silver, black, blue. May have been more but they did not show on the day.
There were also EV's testing from China.
No badges so do not know what Model 3's they were. View attachment 320742 View attachment 320744 View attachment 320745 View attachment 320743 View attachment 320742 View attachment 320743
Vist www.shpg.co.nz for more information.
Base Elevation: 1520m above sea level.

Great spotting Miggy. I understand that Tesla haven't been badging the model 3 similar to the S/X with P, D or battery size although yesterday a photo was posted of a DUAL MOTOR badge on the back of a model 3.

Just did a cost comparison for the Model 3 based on the cost difference of the various Model S base prices from the US and Aussie Tesla "Order Now" Pages

This cost comparison is the base price offered by Tesla prior to our local on road costs or Luxury Car Taxes applied to the car

I calculated the following
Model S 75D 54% added base cost price from $US to $AU
Model S 100D 52% added
Model S P100D 49% added

Based on these figures, I estimate the $AU price of Model 3 using a range of the best and worst case scenario of 49% to 54%

This would then make the local base price of Model 3 as follows, based on our current exchange rate
Mid Range RWD - between $67050 and $69300
Long Range AWD - between $80460 and $83160
Long Range Performance AWD - between $95360 and $98560

Is this a fair cost comparison of estimated local prices

• Informative
Reactions: Tension
Just did a cost comparison for the Model 3 based on the cost difference of the various Model S base prices from the US and Aussie Tesla "Order Now" Pages

This cost comparison is the base price offered by Tesla prior to our local on road costs or Luxury Car Taxes applied to the car

Model S 100D 52% added
Model S P100D 49% added

Based on these figures, I estimate the $AU price of Model 3 using a range of the best and worst case scenario of 49% to 54%

This would then make the local base price of Model 3 as follows, based on our current exchange rate

I reckon that will be pretty close. Weak AUD not helping matters...

NSW model 3 calculator

My calcs come in above that, based on how model S prices are worked out.

Edit: oh I missed your underlined "prior" - yes, prior to all our added costs including GST, that's pretty much ballpark, but not what you need to be prepared to pay if you want one.

The Roadster will come in at $400-500k here.

Actually, you can order the Founders Series 2020 Roadster for the bargain price of AU$326,000 here on the Tesla's AUS website

By paying this price, are you locked into it despite the falling rate of the aussie dollar or are there other costs not shown here

Roadster 2020 AU Specs & Prices.JPG

• Informative
Upon further thought, I have calculated the following added costs to the 2020 Roadster in Australia
Add Luxury Tax - $75300
Add Stamp Duty (NSW) $19000 + Rego est $1500

So the 2020 Roadster will be around $422,000 + Insurance est $4000 + Full Body Clear Wrap $4000 = $430,000 final price

Still a bargain considering what you would pay for an equivalent new Ferrari or Lamborghini

Last edited:
@lonewolf313 agreed, let's buy a few shall we? ;) I'm dreaming if my wife would let me.

One figure I think is wrong, you'd 100% go Expel Ultimate Plus on a car of this price, no change of $7,000+ with a paint correction first (yes, I fully expect the R2 to come out with factory scratches you don't want showing through a clear body wrap)...

See info on XPEL here, interesting self healing scratches and the like: XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS - XPEL Technologies Corporation

Upon further thought, I have calculated the following added costs to the 2020 Roadster in Australia
Add Luxury Tax - $75300

So the 2020 Roadster will be around $422,000 + Insurance est $4000 + Full Body Clear Wrap $4000 = $430,000 final price

Still a bargain considering what you would pay for an equivalent new Ferrari or Lamborghini

Wait so, if I hypothetically dropped $326k on the Founders' Edition, thinking that I'd have no more to pay, I'd be very wrong? I thought just like buying any other Tesla, all those added titbits would have been factored into the final price (which, yeah, would be an insane bargain).

Model S 100D 52% added
Model S P100D 49% added

Musk has said over twitter that the Model 3 pricing in Australia will be Conversion + import charges+stamp duty + reg costs (+ luxury tax).

Hard to believe that that adds up to 50%.

Add Luxury Tax - $75300

Plus the air thruster option.....surely a must have

• Funny
Well actually it was in a Twitter exchange after the earnings call finished.

Even assuming Elon Time™, and taking a pessimistic view that “mid 2019” in the worst case means “30 Sep 2019”, it means that it’s less than 1 year to go before we get our Model 3’s. Yay!

Well actually it was in a Twitter exchange after the earnings call finished.

Even assuming Elon Time™, and taking a pessimistic view that “mid 2019” in the worst case means “30 Sep 2019”, it means that it’s less than 1 year to go before we get our Model 3’s. Yay!

I guess one advantage we have is that there probably aren't many Australian preorders at all so everyone will get them around the same time hopefully.