Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolute bullshit

That's a totally logical first thought, but remember there are photos of a Model 3 in New Zealand for winter testing about a year ago, and there is a Model 3 on display at an official Tesla event in the UK this week or next week. I've also been told there is a motor test track in the area that these cars were spotted.

That's a totally logical first thought, but remember there are photos of a Model 3 in New Zealand for winter testing about a year ago, and there is a Model 3 on display at an official Tesla event in the UK this week or next week. I've also been told there is a motor test track in the area that these cars were spotted.

If it was a near full car transporter the cars would be model S and it's highly likely they are, on the other hand one or two model 3s could be shipped over for testing or filming for promotional purposes down the track, if Tesla didn't want these "3s" to be seen that can easily be done but very often a bit of rare car spotting is good for business.

Quote from Chug's link

"My colleague who does a lot of driving (3+ hours each day) claims he spotted a bunch of model 3's being delivered into Brisbane today. I'll called him out on it, but he claims he knows the difference between a Model X and an S. Anyone heard about deliveries (possibly demonstrators) into Australia?"

I think they will be S's, his friend claims he knows the difference between an X and an S, the difference between an S and a 3 is a lot more subtle especially from side and rear unless they are side by side.

If there are any Model 3s here, and I seriously doubt there are, they will be LHD and unable to be legally driven on public roads in Australia.

The first Model X here was LHD and used purely to show to journos. No one was allowed to drive it.

Tesla has not even made a prototype RHD Model 3 yet.

I thought Northern Territory you can just register any LHD? They managed to get a special deal due to the very high amount of LHD in the country left over from american soldiers I think.

AFAIK there is no time limit for a foreigner to drive their car in Australia but you technically will have an invalid number plate if you dont bring it back for the usual european inspections i.e. MOT every 3 years in UK or TUV in Germany every 2 years.