Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
will take years to implement any new policy. and either way too late for model 3 buyers. there wont be retrospective discounts...
Well maybe we need to wait and see and not diss a new policy before the government changes... Remember how quickly Jay Weatherall in South Australia got onto Elon Musk's offer to install a bank of Powerwalls and now it is having stunning effects on the national grid.

Retrospective discounts are irrelevant atm, because there are no retrospective purchases - nobody has purchased a M3 in Aust yet. Whether any policy changes become effective before/after the M3 release, is another imponderable.

Agreed with this....... we're soo close to potential configurator date, the disappointment is massive when I see replies in this thread about physics :(
Physics is never disappointing!
OK though, point taken I will stop yammering on about it.
Back to M3, I recently cancelled my reservation. I’ve had the S75D for 2.5 years now, and will probably keep it at least another year. By that time the M3 queue will probably be short.
I do prefer the size of the M3 to the S, and also like the extra efficiency.

And since this thread is "Tesla Model 3 in Australia", I celebrated 3 years of waiting today! But at least there is now light at the end of the tunnel with the configurator to open up in April or May.

Congrats on being in a day 1 reservation holder (Mar 31, 2016)
Your patience will be extremely rewarded!

Once you driven the Tesla 3 EV, there will be no going back to ICE!

Btw, I cannot find the Tesla 3 entry level price of in Australia.
Anyone have any other insight?

Congrats on being in a day 1 reservation holder (Mar 31, 2016)
Your patience will be extremely rewarded!

Once you driven the Tesla 3 EV, there will be no going back to ICE!

Btw, I cannot find the Tesla 3 entry level price of in Australia.
Anyone have any other insight?
We don't have any indication of pricing for the Model 3 in Australia yet, not even the Performance

Physics is never disappointing!
OK though, point taken I will stop yammering on about it.
Back to M3, I recently cancelled my reservation. I’ve had the S75D for 2.5 years now, and will probably keep it at least another year. By that time the M3 queue will probably be short.
I do prefer the size of the M3 to the S, and also like the extra efficiency.
I also cancelled my reservation and also have the S75D. I agree the 3 is a better physical size, fantastic interior other than the cheap steering wheel, and great exterior styling, but I could never live with that miniscule boot opening. Just doesnt work for me. But after 4 years of model S’s I’ve gotten used to the size, and it doesnt bother me now.
Roadster will sway me though.

I also cancelled my reservation and also have the S75D. I agree the 3 is a better physical size, fantastic interior other than the cheap steering wheel, and great exterior styling, but I could never live with that miniscule boot opening. Just doesnt work for me. But after 4 years of model S’s I’ve gotten used to the size, and it doesnt bother me now.
Roadster will sway me though.
For me the boot opening is the only real negative. I wish it had been a hatchback.

PaulP & ShockonT, seems all of us M3 stayers might have all been bumped 2 places :)
I think you are correct once the initial M3 flurry dies down they should be relatively easy to get hold of.

Understand about downsizing from the S boot, but its not a concern for me as previously mentioned I need to hang on to the big SUV to tow and we are a two car family. The M3 will do 97.58% of our daily running around.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I was waiting for M3 but S75D became so accessible with inventory deal last month that I had to pull a trigger. It is big and not exactly easy to park in our garage. The prime spot is already taken by an SUV. But now we have a fight as to who gets to drive Tesla. :) good problem to have. Might wait now for Model Y or some sort of facelift and range update to the X as now all cars feel so damn slow. :p

For me the boot opening is the only real negative. I wish it had been a hatchback.

@ShockOnT,
I find no issues with my TM3 boot.
However, the upcoming Y will be a hatchback (Aus probably 2021)

The tiny boot is what put me off too... in that regard, the Y looks like what the 3 should have been in the first place. Hopefully they make RHD Y's from the beginning and get them to Oz. I'd like one as my second car...

@aegidius,
Since USA is such a huge SUV/CUV market, then 'Merica will be Tesla's primary focus.
Oz will have to wait UNLESS the Chinese Gigafactory will supply Australia

I think the Y will be the demise of the 3, at least in Aust. The 3 will do well until then of course.

@paulp,
I concur that Y sales will definitely trump 3 sales.
Imho, price differential will be key to market share

However, Europe has also discovered its taste for SUV/CUV's.......
so the sooner Y comes to market the better for Tesla

I too wish the 3 had been a hatchback. The boot is spacious but the opening limits what you can carry. The S will carry about anything.

I will refrain from getting into the physics discussion. Maybe I'll PM some people. The posts on the subject are incorrect.

I also cancelled my reservation and also have the S75D. I agree the 3 is a better physical size, fantastic interior other than the cheap steering wheel, and great exterior styling, but I could never live with that miniscule boot opening. Just doesnt work for me.
I agree with the others here that the Model Y with the hatchback rear maybe the better option. Just another 3 1/2 to 4 years wait to get it here in Australia

That's too long (for me to wait, of course!) and assumes they will go through the production hell phase before building any RHD cars. That's not so likely with the Y (IMHO) as it uses a lot of stuff in common with the 3, and the new factories will be on stream too. I'd say late 2020 or early 21 at latest. I also saw something to this effect in Teslarati (just trying to find it again...)

My 1st post here, after my Model 3 reservation early March :). I'll be near the bottom of the list, but that'll take no time at all to process.

I saw the Silver LHD one in the Brisbane Showroom earlier this year. At that time the Aus deliveries seemed far away, but now it's definitely getting exciting!
I drive a lot for work, so I listen to a lot of Tesla Podcasts, incl a German one that covers European news well. There's definitely a lot going on in the Tesla world.

Current Subaru Liberty Wagon GT owner. Running on Ethanol, so slightly more environmentally friendly than Petrol (renewable and lower emissions). That'll stay until the Model Y comes to Aus. The Model 3 boot opening is just not great :/.

I almost dismissed M3 completely because of the boot, but I can't wait another 3-4 years for the MY. And it started at US$4k more than Model 3, and has already had 2x US$1k price increases. So that'll put it at close to Aus$10k over the Model 3. That's too much for us atm, but the MY will eventually replace the ICE wagon.