Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the 22nd of March I saw the inspection Models 3s on the Gold Coast heading south from Brisbane. I suspect they used one of the Brisbane based compliance engineers like Bruce Gearing. I took pics of the 2 x model 3s. At the time I posted the pics on QLD Tesla Whatsapp group.

The SUTI is the inspection vehicle that will be physically inspected usually in Canberra and following a successful inspection the compliance plates can start to be issued. Looks like we need to wait until a bit longer yet.

Sad to see only the LR and Dual motor on the compliance application though. Sure they will add the SR in later. IMG_8178.jpg IMG_8185.jpg

On the 22nd of March I saw the inspection Models 3s on the Gold Coast heading south from Brisbane. I suspect they used one of the Brisbane based compliance engineers like Bruce Gearing. I took pics of the 2 x model 3s. At the time I posted the pics on QLD Tesla Whatsapp group.

The SUTI is the inspection vehicle that will be physically inspected usually in Canberra and following a successful inspection the compliance plates can start to be issued. Looks like we need to wait until a bit longer yet.

Sad to see only the LR and Dual motor on the compliance application though. Sure they will add the SR in later.View attachment 412793 View attachment 412794
You spotted two Model 3's in Australia in MARCH and we're only finding this out now?! :eek:

View attachment 412793 View attachment 412794
Are you sure those were RHD M3-s in March, I always thought those might have been LHD versions that they have been showing off in the Tesla shops in AU and NZ for the past few months.

Are you sure those were RHD M3-s in March, I always thought those might have been LHD versions that they have been showing off in the Tesla shops in AU and NZ for the past few months.
I didn't think we had any black Model 3's on display? Just a Red in Syd and a Silver in Melb I believe? Although the certification image shows a black model 3, it does have the aero wheels on, these two have the 19's on them.

Reactions: Tension

Sad to see only the LR and Dual motor on the compliance application though. Sure they will add the SR in later.View attachment 412793 View attachment 412794
Photos: Are the fog lamps blanked off in the car at the front of the trailer? Dual motor logo on the back of the one on the rear of the trailer?

I wonder if the RVDI for the LR AWD can also cover the SR Plus and whether the AWD can cover both LR AWD and Performance?

Btw Bullet Thanks for the great photos. Apologies for not acknowledging your great work earlier.

Reactions: rohan_aus
I’m wondering, with the extent of approval required for a new model to be approved in Australia, how Tesla can "adjust" power output / performance via software without more approvals, paperwork. Maybe this happens behind the scenes? Don’t get me wrong, I think we have some of the craziest and unnecessarily complicated regulations here in this country, not confined to the motor industry. Or, maybe the regulations are more generic across a model type than what I’m imagining, thus not needing a full suite of model variants to test. Doubt it though.

I’m wondering, with the extent of approval required for a new model to be approved in Australia, how Tesla can "adjust" power output / performance via software without more approvals, paperwork. Maybe this happens behind the scenes? Don’t get me wrong, I think we have some of the craziest and unnecessarily complicated regulations here in this country, not confined to the motor industry. Or, maybe the regulations are more generic across a model type than what I’m imagining, thus not needing a full suite of model variants to test. Doubt it though.
Well because of those regulations AUS does not currently get most of the FSD functions that are available elsewhere in the world, so some of the other software updates may get delayed for us too, but I suspect they will eventually get approved and pushed to us also.

Well because of those regulations AUS does not currently get most of the FSD functions that are available elsewhere in the world, so some of the other software updates may get delayed for us too, but I suspect they will eventually get approved and pushed to us also.
Apparently the only FSD application approved for AUS is self parking. I not sure its worth paying for FSD at the moment. In any case its appears that is probably better for most variants to purchase FSD later as the LCT, GST and State based stamp duties make it more expensive than purchasing later.

And I doubt many people would cough up 8.5k for a parking feature. I’m keenly interested in the development of FSD (and approval) into the future for my 13y/o son who has recently lost his sight to enhance his independence.

Reactions: Renewablekid