Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The installation alone (on your list) has created a significant industry in australia, and although home batteries are questionable financially (but getting close) they are starting another industry sub-group.
Batteries can be economically viable depending on one’s consumption usage and patterns. In my case, my modelled payback time of solar alone was about 6 years, while adding the battery only increased that to 8 years. Sounds illogical, since the battery doubled the cost of the system - but it is explained by the increased self-consumption possible with a battery. I estimated solar alone would see my grid consumption halve, but with a battery, it went down 90%. That goes a long way to making the battery economic.

Hey mate, thanks :)

I haven't looked so I may be wrong but your duplicate may be someone else who had the VIN and now you have it instead.

I'm at work now, but I'll comb through the data this afternoon.

For anyone who has entered in incorrect info, please let me know.

It really helps if you add your username so we can chase you up for any questions or clarifications, etc.

Thanks all!
Ok. Thanks. I am definitely in the No Vin Club.

@Random206 nice work on the vin tracker. Not sure why I ended up as a duplicate fyi. A couple of other on there as well.

Vins from the 1st batch now range 4427xx - 4440xx.

There will be gaps, but this is > 500, suggesting the first vehicles will be split across multiple ships. Other single source information from here suggested each ship from now on carry 500 3s. I am thinking along these lines now. As the ships roll through now, we will not know what ships will exactly be holding what.

Kota Ekspres arrives tonight NZ, Brotonne Bridge NZ next Monday. Sydney is all Friday arrivals.

It is impossible for 488xxx, 489xxx, 499xxx, 517xxx vins to be on these ships.
What do you mean "Not sure why I ended up as a duplicate"?

Is it really 24%, that seems high? I live in a fairly affluent part of Sydney and google earth shows bugger all Solar installed near me, less than 10%.
Yes, it really is that high. And you’ve reinforced my earlier point - affluent areas in Sydney and Melbourne have the country’s lowest adoption of rooftop solar, while low income areas out in the bush usually have the highest.

From memory in NSW, Mosman and Woolahra councils in Sydney had the lowest adoption rates in the state with only 2-3% of rooftops with solar. In contrast, I think Coonamble had the highest in NSW. There are local government areas in SA and Queensland (the states with the highest overall adoption rates) where nearly 50% of houses have solar.

Basically, there is a strong inverse correlation between affluence and rooftop solar adoption. That really ruins the anti-solar narrative as the poor subsidising the rich. It is definitely the other way around.

I have this data at home, I can dig it up and create a separate thread about it if there is interest.

Thanks.

Sigh. I cant see me getting that car before early October :/

and of which I am mildly pissed off about - they said August when I ordered and it wasnt that far ahead - 2 months delay on an order placed 1-2 months before is terrible.

How the **** are we supposed to arrange our finances for a car arriving one month and it wont turn up for 2 more? And then they have the balls to demand we collect within 7 days.

So now , prepped for an August delivery as promised I've sold 2 cars cheaper than needed and face 6+ weeks in a rental car.

I think you are jumping the gun. I feel your frustration. I sold my car 3 weeks ago and am now down to borrowing a car to get around. All the evidence still points to late August or early September. How are you jumping to October?

I think you are jumping the gun. I feel your frustration. I sold my car 3 weeks ago and am now down to borrowing a car to get around. All the evidence still points to late August or early September. How are you jumping to October?

Because the behind the scenes VIN I have allocated wont be here until sept 16th at the earliest and its apparently 2 weeks extra minimum to get a car to the south island/chc.

If I place an order today and pay my $3,000, am I committed to buying the car?
Can I cancel it before the car is allocated and get my full $3,000 back?
Given that for orders placed today, delivery is estimated as October, I should have at least 6 weeks, but more likely 10 weeks before the car is allocated, and I'm hoping I get to test drive it in that waiting period to make up my mind.
I'd like to get in the queue for the car, but don't want to be locked in.

Batteries can be economically viable depending on one’s consumption usage and patterns. In my case, my modelled payback time of solar alone was about 6 years, while adding the battery only increased that to 8 years. Sounds illogical, since the battery doubled the cost of the system - but it is explained by the increased self-consumption possible with a battery. I estimated solar alone would see my grid consumption halve, but with a battery, it went down 90%. That goes a long way to making the battery economic.
Speaking purely about financial viability, my FIT is exactly half my excessive 33c grid charge. This makes the grid a very economical battery and solar mandatory, and as such I’m faced with a nearly complete two year solar payback but an 8 year payback on batteries. I’m very close to buying some tesla powerwalls regardless though. We generate more power than we use, and I’m fed up with the power rort in SA. Every situation is different though so others should not assume their numbers would be the same as mine.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st in Line
Yes, it really is that high. And you’ve reinforced my earlier point - affluent areas in Sydney and Melbourne have the country’s lowest adoption of rooftop solar, while low income areas out in the bush usually have the highest.

From memory in NSW, Mosman and Woolahra councils in Sydney had the lowest adoption rates in the state with only 2-3% of rooftops with solar. In contrast, I think Coonamble had the highest in NSW. There are local government areas in SA and Queensland (the states with the highest overall adoption rates) where nearly 50% of houses have solar.

Basically, there is a strong inverse correlation between affluence and rooftop solar adoption. That really ruins the anti-solar narrative as the poor subsidising the rich. It is definitely the other way around.

I have this data at home, I can dig it up and create a separate thread about it if there is interest.
In Adelaide the spread is reasonably uniform across all suburbs. Definately the more affluent suburbs have less solar, however factors such as tall trees make a difference - all the leafy parts of adelaide are wealthy suburbs, which is kind of ironic. If my theory is correct, trees are preventing other environmental gains

Did anyone else order an M3 in white with FSD for $7,100AUD _before_ the colour became free? I did and when they updated my order they removed the cost of the white paint but the FSD bumped up to the current price of $8,500. I have been trying to have it fixed in my Order Agreement form but no luck yet.

How do we know this? I mean, I assume it's based on correlating VIN registration dates with vehicle production dates. But do we know that Tesla definitely always registers VIN numbers on or before the actual date of production and never afterwards?
I just asked this.
Whilst I realise we are speculating, can someone confirm that VINs are registered as soon as the car is manufactured? Or could there be a delay?
Obviously, the VINs we have found may disappear or be replaced, but assuming they are attached to the cars we have ordered, can we say Veda is correct in his table below.
I'm not doubting your amazing work Veda, I'm just trying to confirm my own assumptions.
And got this reply.
The one data point is from the credit note. Vin reg date was 7th July. Build date 9th July, so vin and build are close. We also know vin - boat time is 5-6 days - uk timing, and was same for cap.

I just asked this.
Whilst I realise we are speculating, can someone confirm that VINs are registered as soon as the car is manufactured? Or could there be a delay?
Obviously, the VINs we have found may disappear or be replaced, but assuming they are attached to the cars we have ordered, can we say Veda is correct in his table below.
I'm not doubting your amazing work Veda, I'm just trying to confirm my own assumptions.
And got this reply.
The one data point is from the credit note. Vin reg date was 7th July. Build date 9th July, so vin and build are close. We also know vin - boat time is 5-6 days - uk timing, and was same for cap.

VIN numbers are registered with the NHTSA before the vehicles are manufactured. The VIN has the place of manufacturer, year of manufacture, and details about variants of the vehicle like RHD and LHD so the Government can send recall notices to vehicle owners for specific problems in a specific vehicle type/variant. Therefore it is “attached” to a vehicle body at the start of the production line not at the end. So if your vehicle is RHD it has an assigned VIN before the steering wheel etc is installed. The registration of a VIN range with the Government is an indication of the future production by Tesla of “dual motor” or RHD Model 3s...yet to be made..

Last edited:
I've found this exactly the same as you. I have solar and a PW2 battery. The battery not only increases my self consumption, I am able to fully cycle it every day, have power when the grid is down (can you put a price on that?) and it reduces peak load on the grid driving down prices for everybody.