Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
St Leonards is only a service outlet now, no sales, no deliveries.

All the deliveries are being done out of Alexandria. You need to go to Martin place for sales.

Yep aware of that. A previous post mentioned there were some 3’s in the parking area at the back and they may be using that space to store/prepare cars before delivery. But there was no sign of any 3’s yesterday.

Going from your 25 year old corolla the biggest thing is probably going to be the tech difference. It might take you a while to get used to it, but you're so going to love the car!

This is not wanting to put the boot into Toyota or my old car - for the most part I have been more than happy with my car. I also realise that many here are upgrading from luxury vehicles so they are used to pretty high standards across EVERYTHING.

But just to give some perspective of the changes I look forward to:

1.) Safety - driving in wet weather. The Corolla has a tendency to easily loose its grip on the road in wet driving conditions - even with good/new tyres. Obviously, it has no ABS.
2.) Autopilot - even basic cruise control is non-existent in the Corolla.
3.) Health - air conditioning. We often felt that we literally got sick when driving long distances in our old car. Admittedly, I never did anything about cleaning the Corolla's ventilation system. Likewise, I got a feeling that some of the manual lever switches/flaps in the ventilation system were no longer fully opening or closing. Hopefully, the Model 3 will be an improvement on this.
4.) Sound. I did upgrade to a DVD radio on the Corolla, but otherwise never bothered improving sound, even though it is very important to me. Given engine noise, there was little point to spending any serious money on that. Very much looking forward to "studio sound" in the Model 3.
5.) Safety - air bags. Hopefully never going to need this - a most significant improvement.
6.) Navigation - look forward not having to fiddle with fiddly smart-phone brackets, cables, etc
7.) Charging - to me, not having to go to a petrol station is a MAJOR benefit that far outweighs so-called range confidence issues (I might be proven wrong once I actually drive the Model 3)
8.) Heated seats - I did not even know such a thing existed until I read about it in the context of the Model 3. Shows how much I cared about cars before I heard about the Model 3.
9.) Beauty in design - flush door handles, aero wheels, direct channelling of water into windscreen wipers, automatic turning on/off of headlights, etc.
10.) ATARI games - so glad I am around the same age/generation of Elon. The appeal of Nintendo Mario games would have been completely lost on me...

Guys, This is how pretty much every car in Australia gets transported.

That still doesn't mean its best practice, acceptable or optimal. I have seen transporters with a shields for the front top vehicle, at the very least it should be wrapped.
I have just returned from a Melb to Perth trip over the Nullabor and back. Plenty of stones sailed over the roof of the suv denting our off road van high up , also slow to get off the ground eagles, stones and mud from road works all add to the splatter.

An ounce of prevention is better than a ton of cure. No one should be expected to accept a new car that has evidence of respraying our been touched up.

Last edited:
Reactions: andygen21
That still doesn't mean its best practice, acceptable or optimal. I have seen transporters with a shields for the front top vehicle, at the very least it should be wrapped.
I have just returned from a Melb to Perth trip over the Nullabor and back. Plenty of stones sailed over the roof of the suv denting our off road van high up , also slow to get off the ground eagles, stones and mud from road works all add to the splatter.

An ounce of prevention is better than a ton of cure. No one should be expected to accept a new car that has evidence of respraying our been touched up.

Unless Tesla have changed transport methods the cars will travel across the Nullarbor via train. The hundreds of Tesla's delivered to Western Australia over the past few years have not shown any signs of uncovered transport damage, I can't see why it will be any different now.
Absolutely new owners should carefully inspect the paintwork for any flaws before delivery but don't turn this into doom and gloom session.

Reactions: paulp
I'm considering swapping the SR+ for the LR AWD. I do value audio quality. I value speed. I like road trips.
Anyone how experience with both (tested, sat in) to be able to comment on the experience of either?
Thanks.

Audio quality is the same, AWD has the sub enabled though. Speed is irrelevant in Australia - the only place you can go fast is the outback but due to the vast distances you need a gas car to go fast. On the coast the roads are too shitty/windy to go fast.

If you like road trips do not get the SR+. if you discharge from 90% to 10% you only get around 300km at 110kmh out of a charge. If there is no headwind that is. Not enough imho. Particularly in the North you want to be able to skip every 2nd electric highway charger so you need around 380-400km useable range at at 90-100kmh. The AWD does that very comfortably and allows for a few fast sprints in between during better road sections, the SR+ does not.

Sooner or later you might also want to come further inland. With the AWD you can still cruise at 70-80kmh and get 600km+ out of a charge. You really need that to cover any significant distances. You are limited to only 11kw AC 3 phase out here.

• Helpful
Reactions: jason3w
Not sure I understand that logic. What do you mean?

In Australia you are essentially limited to 100-120kmh. You cannot go much faster. Either due to road conditions or due to traffic enforcement/cameras etc. Outback you can go much faster but you are limited by the lack of charging.
If I would buy an ICE car in i.e. Europe speed and a nice high gearing paired with lots of torque at faster speeds is important so you can cruise comfortably at 150-200kmh but this is just not important here. So speed is irrelevant.

I think he means it is only in the NT that you don't have a speed limit, is that still the case though?
Anyway that really isn't the point, the AWD is more powerful, a full second quicker in 0-100. The 8kmhs increase in top speed from 225 to 233kmph is certainly irrelevant, but the extra power would be nice for some.
So jason3w if by "I value speed" you mean acceleration then yes, get a AWD, or just get the P! (though maybe slightly less range for road trips)

Unless Tesla have changed transport methods the cars will travel across the Nullarbor via train. The hundreds of Tesla's delivered to Western Australia over the past few years have not shown any signs of uncovered transport damage, I can't see why it will be any different now.
Absolutely new owners should carefully inspect the paintwork for any flaws before delivery but don't turn this into doom and gloom session.

that's better news if they do use the train for WA shipments.

In Australia you are essentially limited to 100-120kmh. You cannot go much faster. Either due to road conditions or due to traffic enforcement/cameras etc. Outback you can go much faster but you are limited by the lack of charging.
If I would buy an ICE car in i.e. Europe speed and a nice high gearing paired with lots of torque at faster speeds is important so you can cruise comfortably at 150-200kmh but this is just not important here. So speed is irrelevant.

The speed limit in the vast majority of Australia is 100/110kmh, in some sections of the Northern Territory there are 130kmh speed limits, no where in this country besides a purpose build race track does anyone need to go faster than that, it is not just about the quality of the roads it's about the unpredictability of wildlife and the unpredictability of tourists who momentarily forget Australia drives on the left.

• Love
Reactions: 1st in Line
The speed limit in the vast majority of Australia is 100/110kmh, in some sections of the Northern Territory there are 130kmh speed limits, no where in this country besides a purpose build race track does anyone need to go faster than that, it is not just about the quality of the roads it's about the unpredictability of wildlife and the unpredictability of tourists who momentarily forget Australia drives on the left.

I would argue that driver fatigue causes more fatigue than speed in the outback. That you shouldn't drive 150kmh on a single carriageway without reservation with trees left and right goes without saying. It is an argument which always gets used but you seem to forget that we also have lots of wildlife in europe too. just doesnt look as cute.
Anyway what you say just supports my point that speed is irrelevant (which OP said was important to him).