Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After checking this forum way to much...
I finally got THE CALL this morning.

- Sydney Pick Up - 11th September
- SR+ Midnight Silver
- Hidden VIN - 4428XX
- Cash Payment / Personal Use
- Day 1 reservation / Day 1 order

Was obviously hoping for August but happy to finally have a date. Was told invoice should come within next 24hrs.

Appreciate everyone’s updates and insights on here, hope the calls start rolling in for everyone. Very exciting!

They really need one along the great ocean road. Maybe in Apollo bay or the 12 Apostles. Charge while you take in the view :)

Edit: Actually make it Port Cambell national park. I like spending some time there better :)

Remember that you are not just limited to Superchargers like a Model S or X. Any CCS2 charger will do the job. ChargeFox are currently finishing off a 350kW charge station at the entrance to the RACV resort in Torquay. These are currently free to use (Euroa and Barnawatha currently live)!

Reactions: apchoo
They have one in Warnambool already and soon to be one in Geelong, i think.

There is a planned one in Torquay (and a charge fox one like some one else mentioned). But that's not really good enough. If you want to drive Torquay -> Port Campbell -> back to Torquary, that's almost 400km. With the windows down and some spirited driving, you're not going to make it (or cut it very close, assuming LR and you charge all way up to 100% in Torquay, which is not ideal since that will take forever). You're forced to drive the extra distance to Warnambool just to charge up so you can make it back.

Tesla figured out we need fast charging infrastructure, so they went ahead and invested a fortune building it, no other manufacturer is doing so out of choice.

Then let the people who buy those cars charge, at a premium. Bill them 50 cents per kWh instead of 42 for Tesla owners, or make them pay an annual subscription fee for access, or whatever.

Dictating the terms of access is one of the perks of being the only company investing in infrastructure. On that much we agree. I just don't think using the perk to exclude others simply because Tesla owners don't want to wait a bit for a spot at a supercharger is a positive.

If the goal is more EV's and fewer ICE vehicles on the road, then everyone should be welcome to charge (for a price). The pain/cost of having more people competing for chargers (and/or monopolistic price gouging on non-Tesla owners) will help drive more investment in charging infrastructure from other players.