Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Vedaprime Just saw you updated the ships to Debussy for the white ones. How did you come to this split with the VINs/ships?
Got this email late last night which makes me a bit more optimistic, because I asked for clarification. They seem pretty certain of the timing? And my VIN hasn't changed from the 517 one.

upload_2019-8-31_15-51-15.png

Hi Fumiphobic - We both ordered in July probably as soon as White interior opened (or no more than a few days since). Let's hope there is a shipment of white interior to Perth sometime this year! Having said that, there isn't really a lot of demand for white yet. Only 11 out of 219 I noted at the time i did the analysis in the spreadsheet had white interior listed, so we are in a significant minority at present. Having said that - US and Europe owners who have white say its magnificent - so I figure its worth waiting for! Cheers. See you on the streets in Perth sometime, or perhaps on delivery day

Thanks for the encouragement. My friends are warning me that the white leather will stain especially with jeans however after trawling the forum the vegan leather seems quite resilient. I’m sure it’ll be worth it!

Reactions: DavidRL
@Vedaprime Just saw you updated the ships to Debussy for the white ones. How did you come to this split with the VINs/ships?
Got this email late last night which makes me a bit more optimistic, because I asked for clarification. They seem pretty certain of the timing? And my VIN hasn't changed from the 517 one.

View attachment 448644

This is how.
I had to make an assumption vins are issued more or less sequentially, which currently looks like holding until I have evidence pointing otherwise.

I have assumed 7000 cars per week (+/- 1000) is the average weekly production level.

On August 11, 25000 lhd and rhd vin we registered - far more than normal - 494xxx - 520xxx - 3-4 weeks-ish of production. No vins have been registered since.

There are 3 distinct ranges of vins known in this range
1. 4987xx - 4992xx
2. 5036xx - 5037xx
3. 5171xx

If there are 7000 +/- 1000 per week, it matches very nicely to broadly 3 ships, 3 weeks, across 3 spread out vin ranges.

It is an assumption based on trend. It it turns out to be unproven, I will be happy to change, but at the moment it seems quite plausible.

Yesterday, only white seat people told me 517xxx and the vin spreadsheet also. White could be on earlier if we don’t know the vin range yet, but no evidence of that yet.

Last edited:
I do agree. For some reason Tesla seems to evoke the inner apple fan boi in people. Lot of militant Teslans out there. It's just a car. Elon is not a god. We can be civil. No need for Lese-Majeste laws here haha.

Also just to give a tip, if you click on the person's profile and then click ignore, it hides all posts by the person so they dont bother you again.

Stop comparing Elon Musk to God, he's great, but he's no Elon Musk.

I'm sure it will be fine. If it's super scratched or damaged I'll take photos and claim through the carrier's insurance or through Tesla as per their terms. Because the title will have passed when it is loaded, I'll be able to seek compensation instead of just a repair. I'd rather have the money anyways and fix it when selling the car in a year or two. Lol small scratch in the bumper could equal $5000. :p
if the title is already passed on loading what about getting factory defects etc corrected?

View attachment 448644

Even with optimistic timings - like it is on the Melina (it can’t be before with that vin) - arriving September 20, it would be hard pressed to get through logistics before the end of September. This is another Rob-like @RobDickinson mystery of the 517xxx vins.

This is how.

It is an assumption based on trend. It it turns out to be unproven, I will be happy to change, but at the moment it seems quite plausible.

Gotcha makes sense now. Just curious though, how much of that split is LHD vs RHD, how much is EU vs AU vs UK? Wonder if the total amount is much less than the amount we are expecting? I guess depending on the proportions we could see them condensed or spread across more ships.

Gotcha makes sense now. Just curious though, how much of that split is LHD vs RHD, how much is EU vs AU vs UK? Wonder if the total amount is much less than the amount we are expecting? I guess depending on the proportions we could see them condensed or spread across more ships.

hmm I would argue that the RHD market is insignificant. Australia doesn't have the population and noone drives EVs. For the average UK person a Tesla is too expensive, nevermind the insurance. Ireland is just a joke (just add +25% to the final purchase price lol), so again, not affordable for the average person.

Yes there are other markets but china, japan etc use different model 3s anyway.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Fantastic seeing so many cars coming to Perth, who knows may even help us get a second supercharger station in WA!
Fantastic seeing so many cars coming to Perth, who knows may even help us get a second supercharger station in WA!
That would be nice! Sleepy Perth tends to be a bit deficient in superchargers compared to the eastern states :(

Normally, I know the split of lhd and rhd from @model3vins on twitter, but for this range, he didn’t provide any split. Up until this huge batch on Aug 11 there had been 16325 rhd vins registered in total, and most are uk.

hmm I would argue that the RHD market is insignificant. Australia doesn't have the population and noone drives EVs. For the average UK person a Tesla is too expensive, nevermind the insurance. Ireland is just a joke (just add +25% to the final purchase price lol), so again, not affordable for the average person.

Yes there are other markets but china, japan etc use different model 3s anyway.

UK will eat a lot of 3s as the bik tax kicks in. Purchase price is mostly irrelevant there

Normally, I know the split of lhd and rhd from @model3vins on twitter, but for this range, he didn’t provide any split. Up until this huge batch on Aug 11 there had been 16325 rhd vins registered in total, and most are uk.

I had a look on the master Teslike Model 3 survey under the main model 3 thread. People with these VINS already have delivery dates in September 20/24 in the UK/NL. Some people also have these high VINS before the 11th registration date? Do they register with NHTSA prior to or after production?

Stop comparing Elon Musk to God, he's great, but he's no Elon Musk.

I understand that we are not meant to discuss politics, sex, and religion on this forum, but I had to wonder...

Jesus walked on water...

.... but if Elon walked on Mars...

.... 10,000 years from now, who would be considered our saviour?

Unless we find out that we were living in that damn simulation after all ;).

I had a look on the master Teslike Model 3 survey under the main model 3 thread. People with these VINS already have delivery dates in September 20/24 in the UK/NL. Some people also have these high VINS before the 11th registration date? Do they register with NHTSA prior to or after production?

Normally are registered before production for Tesla, but it does not need to be. They can be produced first, and then registered. The data we have shown -

Cap vins registered July 7, built July 9-11
Kota vins registered July 13, built July 19

It would be highly unusual to be given a vin, a delivery date before nhtsa registration, and it takes a month to go to the uk as well. I would say it is data entry error in those cases - or the @RobDickinson scenario - Where he was given a 517xxx even before the Ship had left Oakland. This turned out to be a weird temporary vin - a placeholder.

• Informative
Reactions: meowsers
In the US, there was an opportunity to help at the delivery centres - from existing owners - to assist the delivery process during the logistics ramp. Elon said yes to the help, and it was a success. The signs are increasing we are going to experience the same thing near the end of September - a logistics bottleneck.

If the various leaders of the Aussie-NZ various Tesla groups reach out to Tesla to offer help, they might be willing to have a coordinated volunteer army assist. The social influencers and press can help rally the Teslarmy.

The tasks people did were things like downloading/setting up the app/ bluetooth pairing/ driver profiles/ q&a and generally assisting while the Tesla staff focussed on the transaction process - speeding up and helping all to have a good experience

I would help, even if not an existing owner, if it meant my car was delivered sooner - not everyone is tech savvy.
I reached out via Twitter but got no reply.

dunno about business tax, but UK has poor wages and insurance costs are horrid. I had my car insured in germany when i lived there because of that which was around 95% cheaper.

Plenty of people in the Uk can and do afford similar priced cars, very few are purchased our right, mostly leased. Have a look at companies like All Inclusive Electric Car Subscriptions from Evezy .

BIK tax change smean the 4 will be £15,000 or more cheaper over 3 years to have than an equivalent BMW or Audi.