Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likewise, Tesla could offer an ICE option for the Model 3, where die-hard ICE lovers could get the cool looks, aerodynamics and functionality of the Model 3, but have the option of having an ICE fitted in the froot

Or say they're doing that, and then just have the car play loud engine noises whenever the accelerator is pressed (and the sub can simulate the vibration, too!). I mean, if the car can fart when the turn signal activates how hard can it be to simulate an ICE to appease the "I'm amazed by everything about this car but it doesn't make loud car sounds so I don't like it" crowd. :D

EDIT: not sure about type A, B, C for RCD's. For circuit breakers, the code relates to how fast they trip, i.e. how much of a temporary overload they will tolerate. But for RCD's you always want them to trip ASAP, if I'm not mistaken. Any sparkies here care to comment?

As far as I can work out I think the point about type B RCDs is they'll still trip if you get a DC current output from the car down the charge cable and into you. Seems horribly unlikely.

The type B RCD is total overkill for most domestic installations according to the guy who installed my charger. My ROLEC charger even has its own breaker as part of the unit itself. Sadly though Worksafe NZ produced all of these new guidelines and according to my Electrician most tradies will be reluctant not to follow those guidelines on the small chance that something does go wrong as under the new Health and Safety regs they would be stuffed.

As far as I can work out I think the point about type B RCDs is they'll still trip if you get a DC current output from the car down the charge cable and into you. Seems horribly unlikely.
The way I understand Tesla uses CCS2 socket on Model 3. It has separate connection for DC power. The Tesla HPWC does not have the DC connection side to it. So I do not believe that Tesla HPWC can feed DC power into grid from the car as the DC circuit is separate. I could be wrong though.

• Love
Reactions: Peterbeans
The way I understand Tesla uses CCS2 socket on Model 3. It has separate connection for DC power. The Tesla HPWC does not have the DC connection side to it. So I do not believe that Tesla HPWC can feed DC power into grid from the car as the DC circuit is separate. I could be wrong though.

its not so much feeding DC in on the DC channel its feeding it in on the AC channel

Yes the whole point of CCS2 is to have DC pins physically separate from AC, so that an AC-only plug has no risk of energising or being energised by the DC pins.

So the NZ rule on Type B RCDs may be a “precaution” so that it covers all bases, including BEVs that support V2G, (which Teslas do not), because in the future anyone could be plugging any type of BEV into that socket. But I’m only guessing, I don’t know the real reason.