Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so have some news to share.. after getting a little tired of the lack of information I sent another email to the Melbourne delivery team. I got this email reply this afternoon that revealed just how big the delivery challenge is.

Tesla typically don't talk about sales numbers outside earnings calls, but looks like the Model 3 has sold amazingly well in Australia - https://techau.com.au/tesla-has-sold-thousands-of-model-3s-in-australia-making-it-the-best-selling-ev-in-the-country/

The data backs this up plus multiple sources indicating the same. Another good article.

It's possible. That Brotonne range is a massive set of numbers - it spans 1600 numbers (with gaps). Production could have moved on the planned day, we wouldn't be aware of it yet. Nobody has that range yet with dates, so it is plausible. Warrnambool is here Sunday night. We will only know later when the invoices start to come out. I will adjust it if/when that happens. On evidence now, it had enough time to make Brotonne. Brotonne only arrived last weekend, so it is still early days for you. We are pretty clearly seeing it taking time for the cars to come through logistics (like 12v issues having an effect). Remember some people haven't received calls from the first ship yet, so it could be a ways off for you yet.

Example of split across 2 ships - 4431xx, and 4434 have split production over 2 days over a week apart.

My invoice says build date was 7/Aug for my 4627xx vin, if that helps.

Just do what I have done. Get a 10A to 15A Ampfibian. And buy a 15A extension lead. This keeps you legal and safe.

Ampfibian | Mini 15A to 10A Power Adaptor for DIY | Store You can buy this at Bunnings and price match to like 65 bucks.

If you use a 15A outlet only need to use the extension lead + 15 A Tesla lead. If you use a 10A outlet, can use the Ampfibian + 15A extension lead + 10A Tesla plug at end. The 10A will plug into the 15A female socket. Easy solution and you'll. always be ready to charge.

I have a Nissan Leaf for almost 5 years. I always have the extension lead in my car but I never need to use it. I doubt if I need it in my Model 3. 10A and 15A is way too slow for traveling and I will charge my car with the wall charger included at home. Higher power charging is more efficient.
I have a LEAF and use the Amphibian to connect the Nissan EVSE to 10A GPOs if I need to charge away from home. Although the Nissan EVSE has a 15A plug on it, it only draws 10A. I could just change the plug on it, but bought the Amphibian instead as it has a built-in circuit breaker.

Page 400! Yay!

The Tesla tails limit the current that the car draws from the power socket.
The cheapest and lightest for extension cord use is:-
To have a good quality 15 amp cord.
A 10 amp plug to 15 amp socket adapter.
This way the ext.cord is used for both 10 Amp (with adapter) and 15 Amp outlets.
The Tesla 10 Amp tail will plug into 15 Amp socket
There is no need for a 15 amp to 10 amp current limiter

Reactions: BarnabySydney
A 10 amp plug to 15 amp socket adapter.
This way the ext.cord is used for both 10 Amp (with adapter) and 15 Amp outlets.

I am aware of the fact that the plug auto-limits the current, and you could even do it inside the car if you wanted.

This is the whole reason the amphibian exists. It is still illegal and unsafe to make a 10A plug to a 15A adapter, you have no idea if some idiot will come along, unplug your car and draw 15A off of that. In the worst case situation you could start a fire.

Lets say hypothetically that you are charging using your death-dapter and somehow the house/car burns down, all your insurance is void, and you could be held criminally negligent. It's not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Has anybody had a VIN issued before finance has been approved (in this case Pepper/Macquarie)? Have only just ordered here but given the unpredictability at the way that deliveries are happening I'm just wondering what's mandatory before people are seeing VIN's (hidden or not) show up.

Yes. I ordered mid-August with a late reservation (April 2019). I was told "mid/late October" during my test drive. I was contacted by Macquarie 3 days after ordering and after chatting to them decided to defer applying until this past week so that if the car was late I wouldn't have to apply again (approval is only valid for 90 days I think).
My VIN popped up (hidden - source code) beginning of this week and I sent in my application 2 days ago (haven't heard back yet).

Model 3 mobile connector comes with a 10A and 15A tail that plugs into the body of the connector. The 10A plug will fit into 10A household sockets and 15A sockets (commonly found in Caravan parks) and give you approx 2kW of charging power at 10A and the 15A tail will give you 3kW at 15A but will only fit into 15A sockets due to the larger earth pin.
Before buying the extension lead check with the supplier that the wires are at least 2.5mm² , and when used make sure it is fully uncoiled.
I am aware of the fact that the plug auto-limits the current, and you could even do it inside the car if you wanted.

This is the whole reason the amphibian exists. It is still illegal and unsafe to make a 10A plug to a 15A adapter, you have no idea if some idiot will come along, unplug your car and draw 15A off of that. In the worst case situation you could start a fire.

Lets say hypothetically that you are charging using your death-dapter and somehow the house/car burns down, all your insurance is void, and you could be held criminally negligent. It's not worth the risk.

The picture you paint is a little dramatic, don't you think? What is the likelihood of someone unbeknownst to me gets access to my car, gets into the boot, finds the cable and decides to charge my car using that cable and just so happens to avoid the common 10Amp power points that are everywhere and plugs it into a very rare 15 amp one and then choses the 15 amp tail.... I could also get hit by a meteorite while plugging in the correct cable too :)

As I said, it is a risk and I also said I will think about it, I also asked about it on a forum about it so I could maybe find a better idea? Maybe like the Amphibian adapter that I had not heard about previously :)

• Disagree
Reactions: one4spl
The picture you paint is a little dramatic, don't you think? What is the likelihood of someone unbeknownst to me gets access to my car, gets into the boot, finds the cable and decides to charge my car using that cable and just so happens to avoid the common 10Amp power points that are everywhere and plugs it into a very rare 15 amp one and then choses the 15 amp tail.... I could also get hit by a meteorite while plugging in the correct cable too :)

Or you could just follow the electrical code, and not use illegal adapters that could compromise the safety of those around you.

First, I don’t aware of a high quality 10A cable is more expensive than an amphibian adaptor. The claim that having the adaptor and a 15A cable is cheaper is not very convincing.

Second, if you use 10A to 15A adaptor -> 15A extension cable -> UMC with 15A tail, the UMC will draw 15A current and it will trigger the circuit breaker. It won’t cause any damages but the car won’t charge unless you adjusted the current from the car.

Third, extension cable have its resistance. It will generate heat. I had a high quality cable and the 15A plugs will get hot after being used to charge the Leaf on 15A (using a 15A EVSE not the EVSE from Nissan) for a few hours. It is safe but I am not sure if I used it for years on daily basis. This is why I said it is not wise to use it daily.

Lastly, you guys need to consider the risk of insurance claim being rejected in case there are any incidents, such as a fire, while you were using the extension cable to charge your car. It is not recommended to use extension cables to charge EVs and the insurer may try to find a way out from this. If the incident cause damages to other people’s property, you will be liable.

Personally, I won’t charge from old power points because old wiring or power points may not be able to handle high current continuously for a long period of time.

At the end, everyone here are smart enough to make knowledgeable decisions. I am here trying to give you information. The choices are yours.

Last edited:
Don’t know when the update occurred, but autopilot now recognises school zone times.
An additional speed sign ‘40’ symbol appears just below the prevalent speed zone symbol (‘60’) with a smaller clock symbol next to the ‘40’
Your speed slows if autopilot is engaged & speeds up again once out of the school zone
Sorry, I should add your speed slows if you have the speed warning set to ‘relative’ (to the speed limit) rather than ‘absolute’.
Not sure what happens when absolute is set